IGNORED

Do any AVR's have decent web control

Do any AVR's have decent web control, where you can control your avr from a browser...such as power on, power off, speaker setup, input select, etc...?

I know most allow all that through remote, android or ios, but i want one that you can control from a web browser.

Pioneer and Onyko do. I believe Marantz does as well.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Pioneer and Onyko do. I believe Marantz does as well.

Do you have a pioneer or onkyo that does? What model?

I can't seem to find a youtube or even screen shots of a web browser interface.

I found one for a denon 1713, and it looks pretty lame...hoping for something 20th century.

PS> I finally got around to hooking up the hdmi output from my pc to my reciever and the dac in the reciever over hdmi sounds much better than the usb dragonfly...i don't know what all this talk about inferior hdmi is....dsd over my pc's hdmi to my denon's avr embedded dac sounds superb.

I have a Marantz, and consider the web interface naf. That and it stopped working, would only work with fixed IP address made me give up on the web side if things around a year ago. The pioneer looked very good, at the time bought the Marantz.

Hi Mike - I believe I was wrong there. The have APPS that let you do some really nice remote control things, but I don't know about plain old web browsers. Sorry - Paul

Do you have a pioneer or onkyo that does? What model?

I can't seem to find a youtube or even screen shots of a web browser interface.

I found one for a denon 1713, and it looks pretty lame...hoping for something 20th century.

PS> I finally got around to hooking up the hdmi output from my pc to my reciever and the dac in the reciever over hdmi sounds much better than the usb dragonfly...i don't know what all this talk about inferior hdmi is....dsd over my pc's hdmi to my denon's avr embedded dac sounds superb.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Mike - I believe I was wrong there. The have APPS that let you do some really nice remote control things, but I don't know about plain old web browsers. Sorry - Paul

pc apps or apps on android/ios?

I don't mind if its a pc ap, doesn't have to be a web browser...athough it would make sense if the mfr's did that. I just don't want to use an android or ios...want something pc based to control my avr.

I have a Marantz, and consider the web interface naf. That and it stopped working, would only work with fixed IP address made me give up on the web side if things around a year ago. The pioneer looked very good, at the time bought the Marantz.

I can't seem to find anything on youtube or screenshots for pioneer or marantz for their web interface....willing to buy a new avr with these features if i can find one.

hdmi 2.0

auto power off

web or pc based interface to control avr

Not sure about the latest Pioneer models, but there used to be both a 'Web Control System' as well as a Telnet command set for controlling them. Certainly the current Pioneer N-50 network audio player/streamer/renderer can be controlled via Telnet, see:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/has-anyone-tried-new-pioneer-n-50-a-9857/index4.html#post291569

Problem will be finding out what the Telnet commands are as they do change and information is scarce, eg from June 2011:

Mike Poulson's Thoughts on lots of stuff: Programmatically Controlling Pioneer Receivers and BluRay Players

or more recently:

VSX-822K Telnet interfaceTylerwatt12.com | Tylerwatt12.com

Once you've found out what the commands are, it should be relatively straight forward to type them in a Telnet client application on your PC, such as PuTTY. Or, if you're a programmer/know someone who is, you could make your own.

An alternative would be to try the Pioneer ControlApp in an Android emulator on your PC, such as BlueStacks.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Not sure about the latest Pioneer models, but there used to be both a 'Web Control System' as well as a Telnet command set for controlling them. Certainly the current Pioneer N-50 network audio player/streamer/renderer can be controlled via Telnet, see:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/has-anyone-tried-new-pioneer-n-50-a-9857/index4.html#post291569

Problem will be finding out what the Telnet commands are as they do change and information is scarce, eg from June 2011:

Mike Poulson's Thoughts on lots of stuff: Programmatically Controlling Pioneer Receivers and BluRay Players

or more recently:

VSX-822K Telnet interfaceTylerwatt12.com | Tylerwatt12.com

Once you've found out what the commands are, it should be relatively straight forward to type them in a Telnet client application on your PC, such as PuTTY. Or, if you're a programmer/know someone who is, you could make your own.

An alternative would be to try the Pioneer ControlApp in an Android emulator on your PC, such as BlueStacks.

thanks...i will check out bluestacks.

Do any AVR's have decent web control, where you can control your avr from a browser...such as power on, power off, speaker setup, input select, etc...?

I know most allow all that through remote, android or ios, but i want one that you can control from a web browser.

Check out deRemote for Marantz/Denon. My report here: Music in the Round #61 Page 2 | Stereophile.com

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Check out deRemote for Marantz/Denon. My report here: Music in the Round #61 Page 2 | Stereophile.com

ack, i was hopeful....thats an apple ap...i am looking for a pc ap. for one i am an android guy, and two, i live on my pc, not on my android...but thanks all the same. it will probably be another 5 years before the avr manufacturers wake up and make their avr's web enabled, with a robust front-end.

Now you are beginning to see why Sonos is so successful. They have Android, iOS and both PC (windows) and Mac control apps for their line of products which include multi channel playback.

Easy for the customer to operate, totally flexible system, plays pretty much anything you throw at it short of AirPlay which I am actually surprised they don't support.

David

Now you are beginning to see why Sonos is so successful. They have Android, iOS and both PC (windows) and Mac control apps for their line of products which include multi channel playback.

Easy for the customer to operate, totally flexible system, plays pretty much anything you throw at it short of AirPlay which I am actually surprised they don't support.

will a sonos allow you to turn on/off and control your avr (e.g. your input and speaker control) from your pc? I am looking for an avr that has robust pc control from either a pc application or web application. I have seen a lot of threads where people have created their own vbs script or open telnet or ssh sessions to accomplish what i am referring to....this should be basic stuff in this day of technology...i am sure it will get here, but i would think at least one manufacturer is on top of the game.

ack, i was hopeful....thats an apple ap...i am looking for a pc ap. for one i am an android guy, and two, i live on my pc, not on my android...but thanks all the same. it will probably be another 5 years before the avr manufacturers wake up and make their avr's web enabled, with a robust front-end.
Sorry, I thought that you were asking for an Android or iOS app. The Marantz AV-8801 control app on my PC would be pretty useful if I had it in the right room. You should check into it.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I think a lot of it is that most people would rather have super classy fast, and highly responsive apps on an iPhone/iPad/Android, than either complex and slow web apps or faster but much simpler web apps on a laptop or desktop computer.

It's a shame, but that's the way it goes. I love the Apps for Marantz and Onyko. Both are very nice indeed.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

will a sonos allow you to turn on/off and control your avr (e.g. your input and speaker control) from your pc?

Nope. My point was that their products include built in amps and in the case of the Playbar do multi channel output therefore erasing the need for seperate speakers, multi channel receivers, etc. it's the wave of the future and along with the steady decline of PC sales I am betting that you will actually see LESS web browser control apps than companies putting resources into those types of controls.

PS. Sonos does have an app that works on both PC's and Mac to control their products.

David

pc apps or apps on android/ios?

I don't mind if its a pc ap, doesn't have to be a web browser...athough it would make sense if the mfr's did that. I just don't want to use an android or ios...want something pc based to control my avr.

Denon just release a reciever that I think will have everything i want.

1. Web browser control, so i can power on/off the unit, adjust all speaker volumes and change the input from pc web browser.

2. Auto power-off so i it will shut itself off when i forget to.

3. HDMI 2.0

4. it also has a lot of other features (multi zone, airplay, 4k, 3d, passthrough, etc...), but the first 3 are the main ones i want....not bad for $450....due out 06/23

PS - PC HDMI -> Denon built in dac sounds superb, better than dragonfly or other inexpensive dacs...forget that crap about jitter...my ears tell me it sounds better than any usb dac i have heard. Really DSD is worth it...forget the rest.

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-S700W 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: Electronics

1. Web browser control, so i can power on/off the unit, adjust all speaker volumes and change the input from pc web browser.

3. HDMI 2.0

4. it also has a lot of other features (multi zone, airplay, 4k, 3d, passthrough, etc...), but the first 3 are the main ones i want....not bad for $450....due out 06/23

PS - PC HDMI -> Denon built in dac sounds superb, better than dragonfly or other inexpensive dacs...forget that crap about jitter...my ears tell me it sounds better than any usb dac i have heard. Really DSD is worth it...forget the rest.

Amazon.com: Denon AVR-S700W 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: Electronics

Heck of a piece. Finally Denon gets wireless, hope it's solid.

David

Impressive specs. Where did you get a chance to hear it?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

3. HDMI 2.0

Not seeing the web browser control anywhere. Could you point me in the direction of info on that?

David

Not seeing the web browser control anywhere. Could you point me in the direction of info on that?

Glad you asked..i will have to call denon back up. They told me i had to get the s700 as the lowest priced one to have web access control....looking on their website, i have to get the s900

7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and WIFI

click the "specs tab" then expand network/usb features...2nd from last bullet

Glad you asked..i will have to call denon back up. They told me i had to get the s700 as the lowest priced one to have web access control....looking on their website, i have to get the s900

7.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD A/V Receiver with Bluetooth and WIFI

click the "specs tab" then expand network/usb features...2nd from last bullet

Nice price for so much, especially as they are now including Bluetooth and DSD support for streaming. The Spotify Connect is a nice addition too but they will need to add Beats to their streaming service offerings. Although with such strong AirPlay support it's not nearly as important.

David

Answer to OP. = No.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra