IGNORED

Putting a HiRez streaming solution together that plays every file: with some old gear...

Yes the UPnP server is still there - what I mean is you can't set it so (for example) your Linn renderer gets upto 24/192; your Lumin gets 24/192 and DSD and the Sonos only gets 16/44.1

Eloise

This is *EXACTLY* what is needed and what I'm on about.

This would be a total game changer and shake the CA streaming world to it's core :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

A couple of pages back Eloise asked why I was so fixated on sticking with MinimServer. Well other than the simplicity of the server, the other thing is tagging.. and the delightful and easy way you can set up a file structure to find pretty much all your files..

Case in point

I have all my stereo DSD in the .dff format. All my multichannel in the .dsf format. All my stereo PCM are in AIFF and all my multichannel PCM are in Flac.

MinimServer has to ability to tag these in the "audioformat" setting. So it is really easy to jump straight to the correct track. Stereo or Multichannel..DSD or PCM and know what they are… hence stream them to the right device.

Apparently there is a specific stereo vs multichannel "tag" coming in a future release.. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I can't offer any comments on multichannel via LMS...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

LOL! ^ Why doesn't someone make a UPnP capable multichannel streamer. like an "exaSound e28" with an ethernet port? Maybe Black Friday next year :)

^ ...I'm so tempted to just say "sod this" and use Paul's multi-JRiver set up…

The issue is: if it could output both USB and SPDIF, one device would suit all DACs.. and what users might also have connected to the DAC (say a Computer if they were using Jriver direct).. or just use SPDIF if their older DAC's didn't have USB.. The reason for USB should be obvious.. it's a better interface for DoP.. DSD… etc etc…

So the one simple streaming device for all DAC's, file types, purposes and user requirements….including the ability to roll out more of the same streamer into other rooms: when the end user gets a confident and reliable UPnP setup happening..

I support this vision.

I once commented to Jesus that a more flexible product in the output is needed, with both USB and SPDIF.

I suppose there is a "challenge" in technology, because basically only a "computer" can output USB, while the SPDIF can be done differently, in a more purist way...But is only a engineer problem, the user requirement is not only pertinent, but will be served, sooner or later by someone...

The idea that you can have multiple devices all contributing and altering the playlist seems elegant to me. So for instance you can (with an ohMedia / Linn DS system) use LUMIN to create a playlist on your iPad, then later pick up your Android phone and add a new track to the playlist with Kinsky.

This is cool...

Until the moment my wife robs by enjoyment and changes my playlist and forces my to ear her stuff..._:-)

Now, seriously, Linn did well after many years trying, and their "Playlist" implementation is perfectly executed...and used by others (plugplayer, lumin, songbook)...

They could take another step and improve their control applications though.

I am having much improved experience from Lumin on IPAD, using MinimServer as server...

I know MinimServer doesn't support profiles for renderers and only transcodes lossless to WAV (or WAV24).

It's another reason I like LMS...

I must admit the MinimServer wav24 transcoding is working very well, sonically and without disturbing the gapless...

Great!

Apparently there is a specific stereo vs multichannel "tag" coming in a future release.. :)

Where do you manage metadata? You could simply add a custom tag, and activate it on MinimServer...

I am using plenty of custom tags, especially because of the classical part of the library...

They could take another step and improve their control applications though.

I am having much improved experience from Lumin on IPAD, using MinimServer as server...

Personally I've found LUMIN app as a great example of style over substance...

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I support this vision.

I once commented to Jesus that a more flexible product in the output is needed, with both USB and SPDIF.

Far be it for me to try to tell Jesus (or anyone) what they should be building... But with a device like the Orbiter surely an optional board could be available to offer SPDIF output. Even if in essence it's purely a USB to SPDIF converter.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Personally I've found LUMIN app as a great example of style over substance...

Eloise

That is what happened to me in the beginning.

I was skeptic. After several upgrades and integration with minimserver, I am now a believer.

As you use you discover delicious little tricks...examples:

- search function will color your word red, if it anticipates no match...

- context "go-to" when you select and hold a track or album...this one alone is very rare in control points...only remember Jremote...

- the smart use of narrow fonts to give you as much information as possible...

If you have not used it lately, maybe you should check if it works better for you...

Far be it for me to try to tell Jesus (or anyone) what they should be building... But with a device like the Orbiter surely an optional board could be available to offer SPDIF output. Even if in essence it's purely a USB to SPDIF converter.

Eloise

You have a point...but that would be a less optimal solution (in number of boxes, one more clock, maybe a lesser power)...

I don't try to "tell" him, but of course appreciate the communication with him, even if not all my suggestions are answered...

The simple fact that he is listening to customers and potential customers in a direct and frank way is positive to me...

You have a point...but that would be a less optimal solution (in number of boxes, one more clock, maybe a lesser power)...

Well I was making an assumption that (a) the board could be mounted in the same box as the main board; (b) you always need a separate clock (well two) for the SPDIF (separate from any computer) anyway and © that the PSU would be designed to power the SPDIF board.

But as I say... Just how I see it could work...

I'm still looking forward to what John Swenson, Triode and JackOfAll (as well as others) comes up with for the Wandboard as part of the Community Squeezebox project (I must make it clear this is a DIY project rather than a commercial product).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Hey!!! Wow!!!

Just managed to figure out how to set Jriver Converting DSD>PCM on the fly and streaming to the Linn.. That's the first time I've ever had my DSD files playing in that room.. This feature of JRiver is farking cool!!!!!

And Paul, your right. that "link zone" feature is getting JRiver pretty close.. pretty darn close to being a true universal multiroom solution… :)

Now wait till you figure out that not only can you link zones, you can play them separately too. ;)

I use linked zones to test DACs out sometime. It is amazing how different two DACs can sound when playing the same material at the same time.

-Paul

Hey!!! Wow!!!

Just managed to figure out how to set Jriver Converting DSD>PCM on the fly and streaming to the Linn.. That's the first time I've ever had my DSD files playing in that room.. This feature of JRiver is farking cool!!!!!

And Paul, your right. that "link zone" feature is getting JRiver pretty close.. pretty darn close to being a true universal multiroom solution… :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein