IGNORED

Putting a HiRez streaming solution together that plays every file: with some old gear...

AFAIK Sonore don't supply a controller app with their devices, so you have to use your own (ie it's not a Sonore problem). Both the UPnP/DLNA renderer AND the UPnP/DLNA control point software need to support gapless for it to work.

What is the point of this comment...this is the case regardless if I provide a controller or not. Besides we have done the research and know what works and what doesn't work so we can advise our customers. In some cases even our customers are pitching in...

Jesus R

^ J… We are all trying to help you man.. we love the idea of your products.. they look awesome.. we want you to sell them by the truck load.. we are just trying to tell you that you could explain things a bit better on your website: how we could best set them up and use them :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The problem here (as I see it).. hence my OP..the problem is it "appears" we now have a solution to do this as I describe, but somebody needs to show us how to do it!!! Lay it all out for us as I say - and put it on a youtube or something. Can I be so bold as to suggest this might be the streaming hardware manufacturer? It would then be a win/ win. Yes: you appear to have a great solution.. but tell us how to do it. Make it child's play.. :)

Just based on the support after each sale these products appear to be very easy for the customer to use and setup. Some need hep with tweaking, but that is to be expected...

Jesus R

The way I see it... This is the role of the dealer. Now where a company sells direct THEY take on that role.

I suppose that Sonore recommending BubbleUPnP on Android is really no more an issue than Naim and Cyrus providing iOS apps and no Android app.

I really disagree. Most dealers are not in a position to do this kind of technical support and don't want to. This takes a long time to pick this up and it is constantly changing. Heck most don't want to carry inventory anymore...

Jesus R

I really disagree. Most dealers are not in a position to do this kind of technical support and don't want to. This takes a long time to pick up and is constantly changing. Heck most don't want to carry inventory anymore...

Jesus R

Agree! So put up some decent instructions, FAQ's and youtubes on your website to show us how to do it !!!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^Well sure.. Agreed. But where does it say on the Sonore website to specifically use BubbleUPnP on Android? And that this is the only way to do it gapless? Or generally how to set *any* of this up? That's the fundamental problem. Love to use the products..but geez.. how about some specific instructions how to put it all together and a few demo's to prove to me that it works... :)

The Rendu product page is specific,

"RECOMMENDED CONTROLLERS and SERVERS

Mobile device controllers

J River as controller on PC or Mac - supports gapless playback

J River as controller on PC or Mac with J Remote on iOS - supports gapless playback

Audionet as controller on PC, Mac, iOS or Android - supports gapless playback

Bubble UPNP as controller on Android - supports gapless playback

Foobar2000 with UPNP/DLNA as controller on PC - supports gapless playback"

Also, if you look on YouTube there are two videos...

Jesus R

I've got an Android lying around as well.. I'll give BubbleUPnP a shot… of course we still have that rather irritating matter with Oppo not being UPnP compliant with DSD…

I'm not sure it supports DSD or gapless, but let's wait for Oppo to respond on these:)

Jesus R

Why are you arguing with me about your website? I'm telling you as a very frequent follower of this stuff..someone who has been streaming music: 24/192, DSD, stereo and multichannel around my house for years now…. Who has Sonos and Linn... that I *still* don't understand your product line up and how it works and all comes together from visiting your website.. As a potential customer, is that my problem? I'm saying that I'd love to add in multiple streamers from your product line up because I can see their massive potential and your arguing with me that "one page" is specific?????? Hugh??? Where are the youtube links from the webpage???

^ Suit yourself.. whatever. I'm only trying to help.. I'm out.. I'll take another look at bluesound…..

..."You can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink…."….

^ J… We are all trying to help you man.. we love the idea of your products.. they look awesome.. we want you to sell them by the truck load.. we are just trying to tell you that you could explain things a bit better on your website: how we could best set them up and use them :)

What should be apparent is that we are not a typical manufacturer. It also doesn't matter to me to sell a truck load of anything. I'm good selling one unit a month as long as that customer is thrilled with the purchase and the service.

Jesus R

Why are you arguing with me about your website? I'm telling you as a very frequent follower of this stuff..someone who has been streaming music: 24/192, DSD, stereo and multichannel around my house for years now…. Who has Sonos and Linn... that I *still* don't understand your product line up and how it works and all comes together from visiting your website.. As a potential customer, is that my problem? I'm saying that I'd love to add in multiple streamers from your product line up because I can see their massive potential and your arguing with me that "one page" is specific?????? Hugh??? Where are the youtube links from the webpage???

The majority of my customers are first timers to computer audio and they are doing just fine because it's not complicated. It's really about what output you need and what device will serve and control the content. What makes it complicated is when people want "everything" to work how "they" want it to work.

Jesus R

^ Suit yourself.. whatever. I'm only trying to help.. I'm out.. I'll take another look at bluesound…..

..."You can lead a horse to water, but not make it drink…."….

You might be surprised to find out what software is under the hood on that:)

Jesus R

^ LOL!!! Well I don't want to actually buy Bluesound!.. I'll chime back in because I really want to buy Sonore! I love open source. (having lived thru the Sonos experience). I think your streamers have massive potential.. and I still can't see why you don't see them as a product for multiroom.. given I wouldn't be the only Audiophile around here at CA with more than one DAC, or more than one room full of gear.. and why you wouldn't want to on sell "another" Sonore streamer… then another..to a reliable returning customer..to set up multiroom.. but each to their own I guess.. :)

hahaha Bubble requires Android 4.1 I can only get 4.03 on the Sony tablet hahahaha…

This whole DLNA/upnp renderer/control set up is so Amateaurish. It's beyond belief…

..I'll try Audionet..

Meanwhile is JRiver the only thing that will convert DSD > PCM on the fly?… Stereo and multichannel?

Wapping... Can I ask if there is a particular function that you use with Minimserver that stops you considering moving to LMS for use with the MiniServer/Orbiter? My own experience is that LMS controlled by iPeng is comparable to MinimServer with Kinsky (though I will admit that my UPnP experience is limited).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I honestly don't know the complete answer to this question Eloise..

For me it's the absolute simplicity of the program.. the fact that it can be embedded then run on the smallest of NAS's… the one disc QNAP's or Synologies.. without *any* other input or tinkering by the enduser.. The fact that it's so small in form, it can now be left running and serve up files from a Raspberry Pi..

There are a lot of tag edit/reading and other features of the program, many of which to be honest I don't understand or mess with (see the minimserver website for specifics).. but it's the fact that it is a pure music server that can be run on basically a battery powered device like a Rasp Pi, right up to the largest of NAS drives that has me hooked.. Does that answer your Q/?

^ Think of it like a pure "open source" Twonky media (for audiophile music only) server.. that can be run on the smallest of NAS drives..pretty much any NAS drive.. Does this help?

So in summary because you have found a solution that works for you in your situation and with your hardware and are reluctant to step into the unknown?

I'm with you here that a simple solution for secondary and tertiary rooms is lacking. Okay read simple, high resolution and not overly expensive - Linn comes closest (IMO) but at £900 for the Sneaky DS doesn't quite hit the spot. As I read it you want basically a Sneaky DS alternative which outputs to USB?

Eloise

I honestly don't know the complete answer to this question Eloise..

For me it's the absolute simplicity of the program.. the fact that it can be embedded and runs on the smallest of NAS's… the one disc QNAP's or Synologies.. without any other input or tinkering by the enduser.. The fact the it's so small in form, it can now be left running and serving up files from a Raspberry Pi..

There are a lot of tag edit/reading and other features of the program, many of which to be honest I don't understand or mess with (see the minimserver website for specifics).. but it's the fact that it is a pure music server that can be run on basically a battery powered device like a Rasp Pi, right up to the largest of NAS drives that has me hooked.. Does that answer your Q/?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

^ Yep. Exactly.

It hasn't failed me once. In near on 12 months..

I've left it alone running on that little QNAP of mine: which is near silent and uses basically next to nothing power and it's never failed to be seen on my network as a DLNA server. It's been visible every time and never failed me..... :)

..As I read it you want basically a Sneaky DS alternative which outputs to USB?

Eloise

Correct again.. be even better if it had both USB *and* SPDIF outputs..

^ Want to start a kickstarter? :)

Correct again.. be even better if it had both USB *and* SPDIF outputs..

I was accepting (based on Jesus's comments before) that those people who wanted SPDIF can choose from a wide selection of devices from M2Tech HiFace II up to Berkeley Alpha USB...

Eloise

---

The issue is: if it could output both USB and SPDIF, one device would suit all DACs.. and what users might also have connected to the DAC (say a Computer if they were using Jriver direct).. or just use SPDIF if their older DAC's didn't have USB.. The reason for USB should be obvious.. it's a better interface for DoP.. DSD… etc etc…

So the one simple streaming device for all DAC's, file types, purposes and user requirements….including the ability to roll out more of the same streamer into other rooms: when the end user gets a confident and reliable UPnP setup happening..

Of course party mode is out of the UPnP HiRez equation as far as I know.. too difficult.. it's why I gather Sonos hasn't gone beyond 16bit.. but who knows.. got to start somewhere.. maybe there is technology that you could build into the devcie that could "follow" you from room to room switching on/off UPnP players as you go.. I don't know.. But surely someone can start to think about putting 2+2 together..