IGNORED

Computer Audio Design OSX Audio Optimization Script

P.S. If you guys wanted to be extra specially nice, you could tell me if there's a way to get the optimization script to skip my "RAMdisk.app" script when eliminating items that run at login. My wife uses the laptop also, so I'm always re-running the reset and optimization scripts.[/color]

Hi Jud, why don't you just run the script as an app from the dock (since i understand you don't just put in back as a login item for you share with your wife) ?

That is slightly more convenient than running it from Finder perhaps (though I must open Finder to copy music files to a RAMdisk), but not quite as convenient as having the script run it for me. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Installed CAD script 1.2.2 with these additional lines of the script 1.2.0:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.IOBluetoothUSBDFU.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.afpfs_afpLoad.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.afpfs_checkafp.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.bnepd.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.hidd.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locum.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.FileCoordination.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.fontd.useragent.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.NetworkBrowserAgent.plist 2>/dev/null

Restarted

Quit the Finder with Rowmote Pro (iPhone app)

Then iTunes Remote (iPhone app)

= > THE NIRVANA! the sound is now better then ever before!

I am again going to try the trick of Superdad (SD card + RAM Disk) to improve the sound …

Otherwise the starting up is just a little slower (1min) with the script 1.2.2.

BIGS THANKS DAMIAN!!!

Hi tipunch,

I just tried the script having added your proposed extra lines (except the first line referring to Bluetooth) and was not happy with the result: All of you using Apple Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard should bear in mind that after reboot these instruments will no longer be recognized.

Best wishes,

Uwe

Hi Bob,

Screen sharing is working with 1.2.2, please let us know if it's not working for you.

Thanks,

Damian

Unfortunately I went against my better judgment and ran the 1.2.2 script without having everything in place to recover in the event screen sharing did not work, now I'm dead in the water.

I selected "no" when asked to turn WiFi off and "yes" for the other options. Should I have selected no for anything other than WiFi, because screen sharing is dead.

I now need to round up a monitor to see if I can get the reset script to work; hopefully I don't encounter the issue others reported in that they couldn't launch the reset script.

Sorry guys, in the future I'll refrain from running any of these scripts until there's overwhelming evidence that screen sharing works. Thanks for the effort.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Hi tipunch,

I just tried the script having added your proposed extra lines (except the first line referring to Bluetooth) and was not happy with the result: All of you using Apple Magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard should bear in mind that after reboot these instruments will no longer be recognized.

Best wishes,

Uwe

Normal !

Here NO KEYBOARD, NO MOUSE, NO MONITOR !

Just screen sharing from other computer. My Mac mini is just for audio use !!!

Best wishes

Unfortunately I went against my better judgment and ran the 1.2.2 script without having everything in place to recover in the event screen sharing did not work, now I'm dead in the water.

I selected "no" when asked to turn WiFi off and "yes" for the other options. Should I have selected no for anything other than WiFi, because screen sharing is dead.

I now need to round up a monitor to see if I can get the reset script to work; hopefully I don't encounter the issue others reported in that they couldn't launch the reset script.

Sorry guys, in the future I'll refrain from running any of these scripts until there's overwhelming evidence that screen sharing works. Thanks for the effort.

Have a similar condition ... Had to run the reset script for both 1.2.2 and 1.2.1 so back to the full program running headless with screen sharing.

Cheers,

Normal !

Best wishes

Hi tipunch happy it's working for you.

I see your mini is a late 2012 version while mine is a mid 2011, that may or may not make a differance. Given the fact I'm running headless it's safe to assume a keyboard and mouse aren't part of my normal configuration either.

I can't explain why screen sharing doesn't work for me I can only confirm that's the case. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I do have a Geffen HDMI Detective installed to force the mini's video drivers to load while headless. And yes my mini is for audio only as well, that's why I was very interested in further optimizations.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

@BobP63 This might sound strange, but have you made sure the problem isn’t with the computer your are trying to login with? Happened to me, a restart cured it.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Hi tipunch happy it's working for you.

I see your mini is a late 2012 version while mine is a mid 2011, that may or may not make a differance. Given the fact I'm running headless it's safe to assume a keyboard and mouse aren't part of my normal configuration either.

I can't explain why screen sharing doesn't work for me I can only confirm that's the case. Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I do have a Geffen HDMI Detective installed to force the mini's video drivers to load while headless. And yes my mini is for audio only as well, that's why I was very interested in further optimizations.

Hello BobP63,

Try this:

Open Safari and type:

vnc://mac-mini-de-tipunch.local [ENTER]

Change the name tipunch with your name of course!

@BobP63 This might sound strange, but have you made sure the problem isn’t with the computer your are trying to login with? Happened to me, a restart cured it.

I'm sure. I tried it from two different iMacs and my iPad all of which worked prior to running the script. Same thing happened when I first tried version 1.2.1 of the script.

Normal !

Best wishes

Saving my system after I stupidly thought tipunch's trick would do for a MBPR has been quite an ordeal (well, since even Textedit would not open a file with repair lines, I had to call Word from my SSD so I could copy/paste repair lines in Terminal...)

You also loose authorizations to do this and that : it's plain bad even if you don't have external keyboard, mouse, monitor to deal with

Saving my system after I stupidly thought tipunch's trick would do for a MBPR has been quite an ordeal (well, since even Textedit would not open a file with repair lines, I had to call Word from my SSD so I could copy/paste repair lines in Terminal...)

You also loose authorizations to do this and that : it's plain bad even if you don't have external keyboard, mouse, monitor to deal with

Oups…!

Excuse-me...

Authorizations:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locum.plist 2>/dev/null

Open files (for text edit) :

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.FileCoordination.plist 2>/dev/null

After that you can copy/paste repair lines in Terminal.

Oups…!

Excuse-me...

Authorizations:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locum.plist 2>/dev/null

Open files (for text edit) :

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.FileCoordination.plist 2>/dev/null

After that you can copy/paste repair lines in Terminal.

"le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" : I'll stick with CAD's script, thanks

still haven't tried script v1.2.2 but... Screen Sharing was working fine here with v1.2.1

(headless MacMini)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Installed CAD script 1.2.2 with these additional lines of the script 1.2.0:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.IOBluetoothUSBDFU.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.afpfs_afpLoad.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.afpfs_checkafp.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.blued.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.bnepd.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.hidd.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locum.plist 2>/dev/null

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.FileCoordination.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.fontd.useragent.plist 2>/dev/null

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.NetworkBrowserAgent.plist 2>/dev/null

Tipunch:

Putting those unload lines back into the script is a BAD idea! Those were the very ones that Scott/Damian removed to fix everyones problems with being able to open/write files, mount network shares, etc. And even if you don't use Bluetooth, you have to careful with some of those because you will loose the ability to turn Bluetooth off (it will get stuck ON even if you did not turn it on).

I strongly advise everyone to make back-ups of cleanest working boot systems, and to run a number of routines in Mavericks Cache Cleaner (including Permissions Repair, etc.) after booting. Test everything, reboot into your back-up and test, etc., etc.

I run headless, but I also keep a monitor and wired mouse/keyboard on hand.

By the way, Carbon Copy Cloner has not worked on my SD boot card since I started using CAD script 1.2.1 (I have not begun testing 1.2.2 at all). CCC hangs near the end on specific EFI boot file. So to back-up my SD boot card I just shut down, pull it, and back it up with CCC by sticking it into my desktop machine.

I am looking forward to testing 1.2.2 later this week as Le Concombre Masque's screen-shot of a record-setting low number of processes has me very excited!

Best,

Alex C.

By the way, Carbon Copy Cloner has not worked on my SD boot card since I started using CAD script 1.2.1 (I have not begun testing 1.2.2 at all). CCC hangs near the end on specific EFI boot file.

same here and as my OS still is on the internal SSD... I gave up using the script :(

(running the "reset" one just to backup as I did the first couple of times... is really boring on the long run)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi Jud,

I think I know what the problem is. As a test, could you please run the reset script manually? ie go to its folder in terminal and run ./ResetOSX v1.2.2.command

Let me know if it runs successfully.

Many thanks,

Damian

Damian,

Can you please elaborate on this for the beginner? I opened the terminal app and then what exactly should I do? v1.2.2 reset program worked initially but later it became unusable.

Thanks,

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

Damian,

Can you please elaborate on this for the beginner? I opened the terminal app and then what exactly should I do? v1.2.2 reset program worked initially but later it became unusable.

Thanks,

Copy and paste the reset script into your home directory (Users/Umetaro, or whatever it is named.) Open the terminal app. Copy and paste the line below in the Code box into the terminal, then press Return.

./"ResetOSX v1.2.2.command"[/Code]

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You're welcome. :)

Current script (1.2.2) is working fine with my headless 2010 Mac mini booted from Mavericks SD card.

With a monitor connected I'm down to 73 processes and 276 threads after 5 minutes idle (Finder "quit", but of course Activity Monitor running). Pleased to see that Screen Sharing adds only 2 processes and a handful of threads.

Most of the unloaded daemons and agents were not running in the first place, and that's why a hundred new launch agent unloads only knocked me down by about 10 real processes. But every little bit helps--and its free! Sounding great.

Many thanks again to Scott and Damian!

P.S. I was listening to my DAC and some Swenson prototypes this past weekend and we compared the feed from my Mac mini versus a ARM MX.6 Wandboard running Fedora (with tracks on Wandboard SD, same new linear supply feeding both Mac and Wandboard, LMS server/SqueezeLite Player with customized SoX upsampling). I have to say that the Linux on Wandboard--with probably only about 15 active processes--sounded very, very good… I love my Mac, Audirvana, and iTunes library management, but…

Trying to get Debian/NAA/HQPlayer running this week on the mini.

Just wanted to say thanks for the script! Working and sounding lovely on my 2010 Mini/Mavericks/30GB SSD/8GB.

Although, the one thing I haven't been able to test is the script's functionality while controlling the Mini in a headless configuration. I've been having problems in that regard for the last year since upgrading from Snow Leopard.

I thought the script sounded good with a slight loss of dynamics while the monitor was connected. When disconnected...an improvement across the board.

Just wanted to say thanks for the script! Working and sounding lovely on my 2010 Mini/Mavericks/30GB SSD/8GB.

I thought the script sounded good with a slight loss of dynamics while the monitor was connected. When disconnected...an improvement across the board.

You are very welcome. Glad it worked for you!

Scott

www.computeraudiodesign.com

CAD 1543 MKII DAC, CAD Audio Transport (CAT)

The CAD USB I and II Cables - 30 day money back guarantee

The CAD GC1 Ground Control is now in production

You are very welcome. Glad it worked for you!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Any ideas for those of us who still can't get screen sharing to work with 1.2.2? Thanks.