IGNORED

Article: Auralic Vega Digital Audio Processor Review

Hi, I am Charles, and I am the owner of Sight+Sound Gallery in Atlanta, GA. In the spirit of full disclosure, we are one of seven dealers of Auralic in the US. I want to address some of the comments and questions here about the product.

Our current setup is the Auralic VEGA being feed directly into the Auralic MERAK into Marten Django L speakers, all cabling by Nordost. The sound is outstanding, it clearly bests setups I have heard costing twice as much.

To answer a few of the questions that have been presented, we have played with the system in a myriad of configurations. With respect to volume, it is best to set the source to maximum volume and control the volume via the VEGA. We have used an Apple Mac Book via USB to play DSD files and SONOS via coax with their volume always at max. Furthermore, the user can set the startup volume independently for each input.

1. For me, near field listening is just as sweet as our true sweet spot. I think any noticeable change might be more attributed to the type of speakers versus the VEGA.

2. We haven’t done any scientific measurements, however these middle aged ears can definitely tell the difference between the DSD files versus even well recorded red book. Frankly put, you want DSD!

3. Later this year Auralic will have a US center open. However, I feel 100% confident any Auralic dealer will take care of any warranty item with minimum disruption.

On a side note, this past weekend (July 13th), we had the pleasure to meet the founder of Auralic, Xuanqian. He flew in because he cares about his products, his dealers and how they are represented in the market place. After meeting my staff, a sit down lunch, and numerous hours talking about various subjects, my number one take away was this guy and this company are highly committed to excellent products and excellent customer service.

In his review, Chris says: "The Vega's USB chip doesn't require power via the computer's USB bus. This allows users to disable power flowing to the DAC via USB when using cards such as the SOtM tX-USBexp."

I have a Zuma with the SOtM tx-USBexp.

How do I disable power flowing to the DAC?

Thanks.

MG555

In his review, Chris says: "The Vega's USB chip doesn't require power via the computer's USB bus. This allows users to disable power flowing to the DAC via USB when using cards such as the SOtM tX-USBexp."

I have a Zuma with the SOtM tx-USBexp.

How do I disable power flowing to the DAC?

Thanks.

The small red switch on the SOtM card next to the USB port.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Thanks for the review, Chris. Clearly sounds like the best dac I can (barely) afford! I am still left wondering about the volume control on the Vega, particularly regarding possible sound quality degradation when playing music at low listening levels. Probably a minor concern for most, but I often listen at low levels with a near-field set-up. Different reviewers have presented what appear to be conflicting opinions regarding the need for an analog - or some very high quality- volume control for best performance at low volume levels when using the Vega. One extra difficulty for me is that the preamps used for these reviews are often reference quality and so very expensive. So I'm still wondering how necessary a preamp is going to be for me, and if it is, if I can find a reasonably priced one to do the job. While auditioning the Vega would be great, the wait is 3-4 months last time I checked. I hope this review will stimulate some responses regarding optimal performance volume control from members with experience with the Vega.

That's, I am also interested in.

In addition - what bitdepth should be used in JRiver 19 WASAPI mode settings to minimize low volume sound degradation? 32bit? 24bit?

Hello PawelWoo:

In full disclosure; we are an authorized Auralic dealer located in Atlanta, Georgia. I have driven the VEGA at low levels via XLR cables directly to the MERAK amps bypassing a traditional preamp altogether as well as using interconnects to a VTL (tubes) integrated with no degradation of sound. Additionally we he used it with T+A gear, everytime the VEGA shines. As with anything the better the components and synergy of the system the better the sound. With that being said the units I mentioned are very real world in terms of price

• 6 months later...

A late addition to this thread. Can anyone comment on the sonic differences between the Auralic Vega and the Luxman DA-06?

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

• 2 months later...

Hello

One question about the volume settings, if I may.

I will buy Auralic Vega soon and I want to connect it to my Primare i32.

I have Audiolab M-Dac and don't need to use volume control (only use it for headphones).

The volume in the PC is at 100% and the DAC is set to DAC only, so I only need to use the i32 volume.

After some things I read in this review, I'm not sure about Auralic Vega being a good match for me.

Can someone tell me how to do the volume control in Auralic Vega+Primare i32? It will sound good or, maybe, I should look for another DAC?

Thanks!

------

Luís

Hello

One question about the volume settings, if I may.

I will buy Auralic Vega soon and I want to connect it to my Primare i32.

I have Audiolab M-Dac and don't need to use volume control (only use it for headphones).

The volume in the PC is at 100% and the DAC is set to DAC only, so I only need to use the i32 volume.

After some things I read in this review, I'm not sure about Auralic Vega being a good match for me.

Can someone tell me how to do the volume control in Auralic Vega+Primare i32? It will sound good or, maybe, I should look for another DAC?

Thanks!

I use the Vega with a preamp it integrates nicely. You just set the volume level on the DAC to 100% and use your i32 for volume control.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Hi ejn1

Thank you very much for your input.

I only asked because I read a lot about Auralic XLR outputs being "too hot"...I don't remember the exact numbers "the Ω" but it sounded like it plays too loud and may it may sound bad with some pre-amps.

The Primare i32 manual says "Balanced input 2 XLR, 36kΩ impedance".

I love good sound but don't know much about Ω impedance.

Enjoy life

------

Luís

Hi ejn1

Thank you very much for your input.

I only asked because I read a lot about Auralic XLR outputs being "too hot"...I don't remember the exact numbers "the Ω" but it sounded like it plays too loud and may it may sound bad with some pre-amps.

The Primare i32 manual says "Balanced input 2 XLR, 36kΩ impedance".

I love good sound but don't know much about Ω impedance.

Enjoy life

I thought the discussion on hot outputs was more related to when you connect your vega straight to an amp. There was potential for too much attenuation at low volumes with some amp pairings. On preamps, wang made a comment on what was the ideal volume control type for the vega but don't recall the details. Good luck.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

I thought the discussion on hot outputs was more related to when you connect your vega straight to an amp. There was potential for too much attenuation at low volumes with some amp pairings. On preamps, wang made a comment on what was the ideal volume control type for the vega but don't recall the details. Good luck.

Ok, thanks ejn1

Yes, you're right.

I thought what was said for power amps would also apply to preams.

I will look for what Wang said.

Good luck for us all :)

Thank you

------

Luís

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm from Belgium (Brussels) and I'm very interested by the Auralic Vega but there is no dealer in Belgium where I can listen it...

Would there be a user who would agree to let me listen the Vega?

Thank you!!!

If you were closer I would ship it. Mine is currently on the way to a member now across the country. ;-)

Maybe you can send AURALiC an email and see what they say. [email protected] I know you can purchase direct from them so maybe they can offer a trial period?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos