IGNORED

Meitner ma-1 vs MSB Analog DAC

Just inquired with smallgreen if they can set this up with a dual boot drive. We'll see what they come back with. I prefer not to mess with swapping out drives and installing stuff myself.

Just one caveat. I know I have been a big proponent of Carbon, BUT, Ted recently convinced me of the benefits of JPlay. While I have given up on it in the past, I did buy it years ago, never finding it sonically superior and a real pain in the rear end. At Ted's recommendation I did install my Version 5.1, their latest version, which has been sitting in my download box for weeks now and have to say, Ted is right. It is sonically superior, integrates with JRIVER perfectly and is scalable to your computer environment better than I remember past versions. As a result, now that you are starting from scratch, I would recommend a Zuma over the Carbon in case you decide on JPlay. There are occasional hiccups with JPlay on a Carbon, although, I am awaiting to test the Carbon with 8 Gigs of ram despite the claim of it not being capable. Vinny also makes a battery PSU for the Zuma as well.

The Zuma should be more than powerful enough to handle JPlay.

Just an FYI.

Just one caveat. I know I have been a big proponent of Carbon, BUT, Ted recently convinced me of the benefits of JPlay. While I have given up on it in the past, I did buy it years ago, never finding it sonically superior and a real pain in the rear end. At Ted's recommendation I did install my Version 5.1, their latest version, which has been sitting in my download box for weeks now and have to say, Ted is right. It is sonically superior, integrates with JRIVER perfectly and is scalable to your computer environment better than I remember past versions. As a result, now that you are starting from scratch, I would recommend a Zuma over the Carbon in case you decide on JPlay. There are occasional hiccups with JPlay on a Carbon, although, I am awaiting to test the Carbon with 8 Gigs of ram despite the claim of it not being capable. Vinny also makes a battery PSU for the Zuma as well.

The Zuma should be more than powerful enough to handle JPlay.

Just an FYI.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I had ditched JPlay myself based on very frustration usability experience but may give it another whirl. I am also still toying with Dirac live so that may be another consideration to get the Zuma. If I end up using Dirac and need to convert my DSD's to PCM to run it through Dirac, I'll definitely need the Zuma horsepower.

Do you know if its is possible to run Jplay, Dirac and Jriver at the same time?

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I had ditched JPlay myself based on very frustration usability experience but may give it another whirl. I am also still toying with Dirac live so that may be another consideration to get the Zuma. If I end up using Dirac and need to convert my DSD's to PCM to run it through Dirac, I'll definitely need the Zuma horsepower.

Do you know if its is possible to run Jplay, Dirac and Jriver at the same time?

I am not sure about Dirac. However, I can assure you the experience with Version 5.1 of JPlay is different than any you have had before. I too didn't like prior versions and gave up. Ted convinced me to give it a whirl and I like it. I would definitely go the Zuma route since you are starting fresh, in light of the extra computing power DXD requires regardless of you your findings with JPlay and your desire to experiment with Dirac.

how does Dirac run, as a plug-in or separate app, or what? (sorry for the hijack; I see Erik posted on Jplay thread, prolly good idea ;) )

Dirac runs as a separate app. you select Dirac as the output device in JRiver, and you select your DAC driver as the sound output device in Dirac. I can see how adding Jplay into the mix could be a problem.

I am not sure about Dirac. However, I can assure you the experience with Version 5.1 of JPlay is different than any you have had before. I too didn't like prior versions and gave up. Ted convinced me to give it a whirl and I like it. I would definitely go the Zuma route since you are starting fresh, in light of the extra computing power DXD requires regardless of you your findings with JPlay and your desire to experiment with Dirac.

Sounds like it is time to get out the old checkbook.... again.

Sounds like it is time to get out the old checkbook.... again.

YUP.

The difference between the Zuma and Carbon with the better Wesena case is about 650 dollars if you go with 16 Gigs of ram. Well worth it in light of what I am getting out of my Diamond with JPlay. Again, these are the kind of upgrades I love-the biggest bang for the buck.

I saw another person posting on this thread that said, he liked JPlay better but just by a little. I don't know, maybe it is me, but for 99 bucks or whatever JPlay is now going for that could be the cheapest upgrade to get better sound, even if "just by a little", no? Plus I think it is more than "just a little" but give it a try as they give you a trial version.

YUP.

The difference between the Zuma and Carbon with the better Wesena case is about 650 dollars if you go with 16 Gigs of ram. Well worth it in light of what I am getting out of my Diamond with JPlay. Again, these are the kind of upgrades I love-the biggest bang for the buck.

I saw another person posting on this thread that said, he liked JPlay better but just by a little. I don't know, maybe it is me, but for 99 bucks or whatever JPlay is now going for that could be the cheapest upgrade to get better sound, even if "just by a little", no? Plus I think it is more than "just a little" but give it a try as they give you a trial version.

as long as it does not compromise usability, $99 is a no brainer. The problem with the 4.2 plugin was it kept crashing JRiver. Also, if it turns out I can either run Dirac or Jplay but not both, I have to pick what gives me the most improvement. I have not take the time to evaluate Dirac much, although I did complete the calibration measurements and calcualted the filters.

as long as it does not compromise usability, $99 is a no brainer. The problem with the 4.2 plugin was it kept crashing JRiver. Also, if it turns out I can either run Dirac or Jplay but not both, I have to pick what gives me the most improvement. I have not take the time to evaluate Dirac much, although I did complete the calibration measurements and calcualted the filters.

I understand. JPlay seamless integrates into JRiver. I am not familiar with Dirac. In either case, it appears more computing power is necessary, so that is one variable out of the way.

It seems out of the topic....^^

Actually, I'm wondering if I want to upgrade from Meitner MA-1, which DAC would be the best choices?

Also what if Playback Design MPD-3 enters the game ?

Now I have the 2 in the subject + this 3rd one to think of .... !?!

Massimo

I am thinking how would the previous top dacs compared to those of these days? I am planning to get a 2nd hand Emmdac Dcc2se or dCS Elgar Plus and play dsd via its SDIF input. I have an Esoteric G-02, which would be used to be as external clock for dcc2se or Elgar plus. But a pcm only dac, Totaldac D-1, is also on my mark. MSB, like Totaldac, used R2R might be a competitive choice, too. However, MSB DAC IV is way beyond my budget. Any suggestion?

I am thinking how would the previous top dacs compared to those of these days? I am planning to get a 2nd hand Emmdac Dcc2se or dCS Elgar Plus and play dsd via its SDIF input. I have an Esoteric G-02, which would be used to be as external clock for dcc2se or Elgar plus. But a pcm only dac, Totaldac D-1, is also on my mark. MSB, like Totaldac, used R2R might be a competitive choice, too. However, MSB DAC IV is way beyond my budget. Any suggestion?

Me, I would get an Analog. I had it for a demo prior to the Diamond and I though it was amazing, better than my then current reference, which was an EMMDAC2X. Sometimes you hear something that just hits it out of the park. People can describe anyway they want, but I have never heard better "music" than from the MSB products. You can't go wrong.

I thought it was possible to install the MSB Win7 drivers in "compatibility mode", under Win8... At least that's what I did...

That wouldn't be optimal, but wouldn't it at least work for people with CAPS 3.0 with Win8 already installed?

alexandre

I thought it was possible to install the MSB Win7 drivers in "compatibility mode", under Win8... At least that's what I did...

That wouldn't be optimal, but wouldn't it at least work for people with CAPS 3.0 with Win8 already installed?

alexandre

Rumor has it there is "firmware and driver" updates for the Analog DAC for Win 8.

Priaptor! Hey, do you know if they use the 32x or Minimum phase digital filter on the Analog DAC? Can the default filter be changed with a f/w update, or would you have to spend $1k for the wi-fi connection. This alone pushed me back toward the Berkeley Alpha 2.

For as much as I love this product, someone at MSB went a little crazy with the al la carte options list... Like $85 for the metal remote to be able to turn off the re-clock feature (for video) and absolute phase, and another $1000 if you want to control the settings (filter, upsampler, dither, etc.) with your iDevice. IMO the filter should be on the remote, and the metal remote should be standard on a DAC that for all practical purposes will run you $8-13k.

314436_309071722552701_405611607_n.png

523639367_screen3360x480.png

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Priaptor! Hey, do you know if they use the 32x or Minimum phase digital filter on the Analog DAC? Can the default filter be changed with a f/w update, or would you have to spend $1k for the wi-fi connection. This alone pushed me back toward the Berkeley Alpha 2.

For as much as I love this product, someone at MSB went a little crazy with the al la carte options list... Like $85 for the metal remote to be able to turn off the re-clock feature (for video) and absolute phase, and another $1000 if you want to control the settings (filter, upsampler, dither, etc.) with your iDevice. IMO the filter should be on the remote, and the metal remote should be standard on a DAC that for all practical purposes will run you $8-13k.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5446[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5447[/ATTACH]

I don't know the answer to the questions as I only had the demo for a week and what I got I just hooked up and was stuck with no controls as the crappy plastic remote was what I got.

I couldn't agree more. To nickel and dime someone for a remote is a joke.

It is indeed an ala cart menu for all their products which kind of pisses me off but at 7k (still a lot of money) besting the 15.5K EMM is a bargain.

I am using a DAC strictly for computer audio with a preamp. Of course VC and additional inputs increase the price. Their 3k power base is a lot but few if any DACs in its price range offer anything comparable and the standard power base works well.

The current drivers install easily in compatibility mode and work well for Win 8. But updating the drivers for a direct install would be best for all users. The only way to change filter settings is with the WiFi upgrade that is presently unavailable.

Steve Plaskin

• 3 months later...

So I went the CAPS route never looked back but still have my Mac and whenever an update arrives I still try it.

I still haven't found a Mac player I like better.

Hi Priaptor,

A quick side question regarding the Mac route you tried. Did it include a MacMini with SSD, all antennae and switching PSU physically ripped out and a linear PSU?

Cheers!