IGNORED

Article: JH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In Ear Monitors Review

Chris, I LOVE the JH13s and the 3a unit paired with the JH16s are even better. The advantage that JH has over other IEMs I have heard at various shows are accuracy of tonal information. I've been to hundreds of shows both rock and jazz and play guitar and bass (albeit amateurishly) and the JHs match the sounds I've heard and played better than other IEMs.

The Freqphase advantage is a major step up in instrument separation, soundstaging and timing, they were very good before but are world class now. The UE Capitol Ref Monitors were my best in class in these areas but lacked impact and a degree of tonal accuracy bit now the the freqphase addition puts the JH product over the top.

If you get a chance and can get a prolonged audition with the 3a combo I'd be curious on your take. The amp can be a bit wonky as it required a restart with different sample rate so if you mix and match sample rates it may be a deal breaker but other than that it is a world class product imo.

Thanks for the review!

JP

Hi JP - I was pretty surprised at how good the 13s are with all types of music. I held back in the review because I didn't want it to be too over the top with journalistic hyperbole for fear of readers focussing on the writing rather than the product.

I just had my AK100 modified by Vinnie at Red Wine Audio and the sound is stellar with the 13s.

I'll look into the 3a based on your recommendation. Thanks.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

well the reason i ask is because i think you can sell it ...the new owner would mould them to their ears. Let me know if you would like to get rid of them...:-)

Chris, I would be interested in purchasing them. Let me know. Thanks

Music after life

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

Can you please help with answers to three questions:

1. How/where do you go about having your custom earphones built to suit your ears?

2. Are JH saying with "Freqphase" that all drivers are connected with the same absolute polarity as a starting point?

3. Buying from overseas, how does a buyer differentiate older models from the more recent Freqphase models?

Thanks

Frank

Chris

One further question:

Can you please tell me how the Astell & Kern AK100 with JH Audio JH13 sound quality compares to the same IEMs with the Meredian Explorer?

I listen in bed with ER4P for the same reason (wife doesn't hear), but I agree they are uncomfortable.

Many thanks

Frank

I wonder if the ER4P using their custom mold option would be a good poor mans alternative to the JH's???

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

Chris

Can you please help with answers to three questions:

1. How/where do you go about having your custom earphones built to suit your ears?

2. Are JH saying with "Freqphase" that all drivers are connected with the same absolute polarity as a starting point?

3. Buying from overseas, how does a buyer differentiate older models from the more recent Freqphase models?

Thanks

Frank

Any local audiologist can make custom molds of your ears for about $50.

Here is the Freqphase info page -> Freqphase Time | Phase Waveguide | Custom In-Ear Monitors by JH Audio

No sure how to differentiate older models, but there usually aren't older models for sale as these are custom to the buyer's ears.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Longtime lurker. Excited to see you review these since you are someone I trust. What made you choose the 13 over the 16 model? Seems like there is a lot of excitement over the 16. I am an orchestra musician that is downsizing the 2-channel setup (Weiss/Conrad Johnson/Gallo). I listen to every style of music, so I am wondering which would suit my needs. Also, very interested in your thoughts on DAC/amplification.

Thank you!

Hi,

Longtime lurker. Excited to see you review these since you are someone I trust. What made you choose the 13 over the 16 model? Seems like there is a lot of excitement over the 16. I am an orchestra musician that is downsizing the 2-channel setup (Weiss/Conrad Johnson/Gallo). I listen to every style of music, so I am wondering which would suit my needs. Also, very interested in your thoughts on DAC/amplification.

Thank you!

Hi Phil - I believe the 13s are more neutral than the 16s. I like neutrality.

I've been using the Astell & Kern AK100 with the Red Wine Audio mod and the 13s. A lovely combo. Can't wait to get the AK120 in for review.

• 5 months later...

I want to report that I splurged on a pair of JH13's based on Chris's recommendation for my other splurge, the AK120. I did my first plane ride with the combination, listening to my 192/24 declicked rips of some of my original Decca SXL2000 classical records from the early days of stereo. What a wonderful experience. The only problem is that my wife has to tap me on the shoulder to let me know she is talking to me. The JH13 is also very sturdy and I have no problems at the gym with it.

Thanks Chris,

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

• 4 months later...
Great to hear Larry!

Chris have you listened to any other DACs with the JH 13 besides the Meridian?

I am guessing you need a Dead quiet DAC as the JH 13 looks to be very sensitive.

I am looking to purchase. I thought I'd pick from your CASH list but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any feedback,

Brad

Chris have you listened to any other DACs with the JH 13 besides the Meridian?

I am guessing you need a Dead quiet DAC as the JH 13 looks to be very sensitive.

I am looking to purchase. I thought I'd pick from your CASH list but would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for any feedback,

Brad

Hi Brad - Are you looking for portable or something that'll stay in place? The A&K stuff is great for portable all-in-one. The AudioQuest DragonFly is getting overlooked now because newer devices support sky high sample rates like 32/384 and the DF goes up to 24/96. However, it was designed by Gordon Rankin to a very high standard and completes with almost anything in this category. I haven't heard the AudioEngine D3 yet but the review here on CA is good.

Hi Brad - Are you looking for portable or something that'll stay in place? The A&K stuff is great for portable all-in-one. The AudioQuest DragonFly is getting overlooked now because newer devices support sky high sample rates like 32/384 and the DF goes up to 24/96. However, it was designed by Gordon Rankin to a very high standard and completes with almost anything in this category. I haven't heard the AudioEngine D3 yet but the review here on CA is good.

Chris,

I really am looking for both. The notion of great sound in an intimate setting ( perhaps listening in bed ) is very appealing. I'd also like to have a stationary DAC to use with my Mac,in a small office I have. The JH 13s might provide a nice solution and give me the option for portability. The A&K looks to be a great choice for the road. That's high praise for the DF. I'll look into the AudioEngine D3 as well and certainly appreciate these suggestions and any others.

Thanks very much,

Brad

• 1 year later...
I thought of that myself and think it would be a great option to at least try.

Chris,

Thanks for this great piece. The JH13's were a bit rich for my 1.5 hour flights, so I went with the Etymotics based on your description. Exactly as you said--excellent sound, not so comfortable. Still, these were so much more engaging and enjoyable than the Shure SE's they replaced (exact model discontinued, priced at $400 a few years ago), that I didn't want my last plane trip to end. Also, the microphone effect can be mitigated by placing cord behind head and down back.

Only snag is that it is more difficult than expected to get the custom fit ear molds. I've tried 5 places listed on the Etymotics/Microsonics website; all say they do not do them.

Cheers,

Peter