IGNORED

New Mac Mini

Melvin,

Much Congrats! Last week I took delivery (UPS) of a new MacBook Pro and it sleeps with me on my dresser. Well, I dont sleep on the dresser but you know what I mean. Congrats again!

Scott

MacBook Pro, 16gb RAM, 500gb storage, McIntosh MA-6900, Paradigm Reference Signature 6 Towers, Cambridge Audio Magic Streamer 6, Mountain Lion, iTunes 11.0.X.

I have that mini too. I thought it was overkill for music so it is on the other side of the living room, where I use it for ... computing. At some point I should swap it in.

More like overkill for surfing the Net. LoL

I thought you used it for Dirac???

You are building a giant killer system there.

I hope so. So far so good.

Melvin,

Much Congrats! Last week I took delivery (UPS) of a new MacBook Pro and it sleeps with me on my dresser. Well, I dont sleep on the dresser but you know what I mean. Congrats again!

Scott

Thanks and congrats to you too!

hi!

that is the set up i am planning to get

also am considering the same configuration with smaller ssd ie fusion drive

are you going to use the 256gb ssd for just listening and computing? do i need that much ssd if my collection is going to be on the one tb hhd or on external hdd-my backup will be on archival dvds made by ripping service called pickled productions near chicago

i also dont quite understand how the ssd works either the solo 256gb or fusion drive with 128gb can you or anyone else explain its function other longer lifespan,quieter(altho isnt macmini quiet by itself?),supposedly "sounds better"

my system will be schiit magni/modi>avr>2.1/5.1/7.1 speaker setup and sennheiser hd 598'S

i listen only to MOG/SIRIUS and my cd collection plus my sacd/dvda from my universal changer will eventually buy some hdtracks

planning to use puremusic as my "player"

thanks bobbmd

hi!

that is the set up i am planning to get

also am considering the same configuration with smaller ssd ie fusion drive

are you going to use the 256gb ssd for just listening and computing? do i need that much ssd if my collection is going to be on the one tb hhd or on external hdd-my backup will be on archival dvds made by ripping service called pickled productions near chicago

i also dont quite understand how the ssd works either the solo 256gb or fusion drive with 128gb can you or anyone else explain its function other longer lifespan,quieter(altho isnt macmini quiet by itself?),supposedly "sounds better"

my system will be schiit magni/modi>avr>2.1/5.1/7.1 speaker setup and sennheiser hd 598'S

i listen only to MOG/SIRIUS and my cd collection plus my sacd/dvda from my universal changer will eventually buy some hdtracks

planning to use puremusic as my "player"

thanks bobbmd

Hi bobbmd .. I'm dedicating mine to audio but I'm sure some internet use will be in there too. I can't answer to your needs but I suspect if you go with the fusion drive/128 GB combo it will be what you want :)

Others here will be more qualified to answer your question re: how it all works. Best of luck.

My UPS guy (whose name I still don't know!) just dropped off my new toy :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4489[/ATTACH]

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, 256GB SSD

I just switched in my i7, only 8 gig of memory but, two, count them, two 256GB SSD. The video improvement is striking. I haven't done a proper objective test, but even my cynical scientist-wife thinks it sounds better. One thing I can say is the audirvana playback glitches on my 2010 mini disappeared, even with full-quality upsampling. My eventual goal is to run some CPU-taxing room correction software, so this will make it more feasible.

This was all driven by the Lego Lord of the Rings game. Where is the roll-eyes smiley?

I just switched in my i7, only 8 gig of memory but, two, count them, two 256GB SSD. The video improvement is striking. I haven't done a proper objective test, but even my cynical scientist-wife thinks it sounds better. One thing I can say is the audirvana playback glitches on my 2010 mini disappeared, even with full-quality upsampling.

Only 8 GB! Remember when 8 MB was huge?! No more glitches here either.

Thanks Richard. BTW, Amarra is running flawlessly now and sounds fantastic (of course).

You've got a lovely device to render music with a lovely player. When it good this way, it's priceless in enjoyment. Use it all in good health, happiness and enjoyment.

Best,

Richard

I bought mine in jan 2012 -- does that mean my mini is one generation old? ... And debating if I should go to mountain lion.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.