IGNORED

Drums ... pls!

jtm

Hi guys,

thanks so much for your input up to now.

Some fantastic proposals in here. Classics like Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis or rockers lke Pete's White City I have already in my collection.

Some others I didn't know so far and will check them out one by one.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Hi guys,

thanks so much for your input up to now.

Some fantastic proposals in here. Classics like Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis or rockers lke Pete's White City I have already in my collection.

Some others I didn't know so far and will check them out one by one.

Thanks to everyone for the inspiration.

Actually, there are so many other inspired tracks, as you may imagine, that have not yet been identified. You've inspired me to start taking notes because there have been times when that "wow" experience occurs and over time I lose the thread of what that "wow" experience is connected to. This occurred several times when for this thread I wanted to reach into my memory banks for other "wow" experiences and came up without the reference. Getting old (sucks) or having a large library can contribute to some cloudy memories. However, there have been wonderful references already provided. Thank you for energizing a search of my own collection.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

I am on a Mac and keep tagging the "interesting" files using the colour markers of Finder (yes, and iTunes of course).

This helps in fast identification outside of iTunes or any application, like "green" for highly recommended, "yellow" for good-very good, "red" for OK like CD-quality and "grey" for ... forget it :-)

Richard,

I am on a Mac and keep tagging the "interesting" files using the colour markers of Finder (yes, and iTunes of course).

This helps in fast identification outside of iTunes or any application, like "green" for highly recommended, "yellow" for good-very good, "red" for OK like CD-quality and "grey" for ... forget it :-)

That is a great idea. Thank you for your creativity. I might even add a blurb in the comments like great drum solo or some code for searching for outstanding specific reference to a particular criterion we value.

With appreciation,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Kodo drums can be excellent.

I have this DVD:

Yamato - The Drummers of Japan (2 DVDs): Amazon.de: Filme & TV

which sounds great, but I am looking for something in 24bit.

Do you have any recommendation ?

Another great DVD is this one:

In short: Sound Performance Lab

Especially the Simon Philips sets are top notch.

Only issue with this disc it has been recorded from the drummers perspective, which confuses a bit if you're familiar with typical setups and how they should sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Led Zeppelin II in the original early Atlantic CD release.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

I know several people have already mentioned Joe Morello, but I wanted to point you to the version of 'Take Five' on his "Morello Standard Time" album. It is a must have if you like drums. I first heard this at AXPONA in Atlanta in the Joseph Audio room. After that, I had to have it. Finally found a copy on Amazon. FYI, the whole album is great.

Joe-Morello-Morello-Standard-Time-1994-FLAC.jpg

Jeff

Main system: MPaD -> Fanless VortexBox -> Emotiva XDA-1 -> Adcom GFA-555II -> Working on the rest

Desktop System: J.River Media Jukebox -> WIN7 -> HRT Music Streamer II -> Virtue Audio One.2 -> DIY Martello speakers

Amazon.com: Far More Drums: Robert Percussion Ensemble Hohner, Akira Nishimura, Russell Peck, Christopher Rouse, Seiichi Tanaka, African Traditional: Music

Far more drums by Robert Percussion Ensemble Hohner, Akira Nishimura, Russell Peck, Christopher Rouse and Seiichi Tanaka (2000)

Also: Poem of Chinese Drum - Yim Hok Man

and

The Kraken - Hans Zimmer from Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack.

I personally like the drum clips in The Carpenter tune "Calling occupants of Interplanetary craft". I like the way they use the drums as interludes to change the pace of the track. Nice and self indulgent. :-)