IGNORED

5.6MHz DSD Download available

Hello Hugo,

thanks for the link, download worked & welcome to CA.

As I liked Eric Bibb's Blues, Ballads & Work Songs very much I really appreciate to hear this song.

Really looking forward to the sampler !

Good news for the DSD community here :-)

Thanks,

jtm

Thanks Melvin!

Priaptor: We'll see what happens! But I can say this much: Jan-Eric and I are blow away, jumping with joy, jaw on the floor over the quality we get from the DSD format. J-E was also a very early adopter of the SACD format and has stuck with it. So if there is a public interest in DSD, which seems to be the case so far, then I don't see why not. But it's not done in an afternoon I'm afraid.

//H

@ Hugo:

I'm also downloading right now.

Will definately report back how it went along.

Thanks for this kind offer!

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Thanks Melvin!

Priaptor: We'll see what happens! But I can say this much: Jan-Eric and I are blow away, jumping with joy, jaw on the floor over the quality we get from the DSD format. J-E was also a very early adopter of the SACD format and has stuck with it. So if there is a public interest in DSD, which seems to be the case so far, then I don't see why not. But it's not done in an afternoon I'm afraid.

//H

Just my opinion, BUT, since so many of us audiophiles love DSD, don't have the patience or the hardware to rip SACD discs and don't want a transport, I think you will see and are witnessing a rapid adoption of DSD. I can all but guarantee and huge demand for OPUS recordings in DSD downloadable format.

I think we all understand it takes time, but I am sure the effort will be well worth it.

Thanks. I downloaded both (2.8 and 5.6) samples and they sound great on my home office Mytek. I will listen to the 2.8 on my Meitner big rig later. I had ripped my Spirit And the Blues already, but the idea of DSD downloads of your catalog is a great thing. Thanks for supporting DSD.

How do you download DSD without converting it to PCM?

No need to convert if you own a DSD-capable DAC. There are dozens now.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE

Thanks Melvin!

//H

Hugo, thanks very much for making the complimentary download available. I hope your business model will be able to include DSD downloads. The Opus catalog sets the standard for superb music and recording.

Best regards,

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

How does that work? DSD is just a form of pulse width modulation. If you have a dac that’s directly attached to a cd drive that can do DSD, you send the PWM encoded single to the dac. The internet and computers only know bits and bytes. You can’t rip or store or send over the internet pwm, it has to be converted to bits and bytes.

It's actually pulse density modulation (sigma-delta modulation). But in any case, a bit '1' denotes on-state and bit '0' denotes off-state per clock cycle. You can fit eight of those states in a byte. Simple...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

You can download Korg's AudioGate software. It's free, but to use it you either have to enable it with a USB connection to a suitable device (such as one of their digital recorders) or you can use it by Tweeting what you're playing.

The software will open and play a DSF file (amongst others) through whatever audio driver you select. You can find the Korg software here:

http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/download.html

This won't be the same as sending to a DSD capable DAC, but it's as close as you can get.

Also, if you have JRiver Media Center, it will play a DSF file but will do a conversion to PCM on the fly.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen. I have been playing around with Audiogate on and off for a few years now. It sits on my mac ignored for months, then I come back to it and take it for another spin. I agree, this is highly under-rated software. Everytime I re-use it I find something new. Like today, when I realised you can drag and drop a full itunes playlist straight from itunes into Audiogate :) Stephen if you like this software, may I suggest you check out the new Korg DP-10 DSD DAC. Using this DAC, you will be able to send DSD direct to the DAC! Apparently a driver is "coming" for OSX.... I don't have this DAC, but I am taking a very close look at it's specks and have an email into a supplier in Japan ATM..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Awesome Hugo. :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra