IGNORED

New Peachtree Audio X1 USB to S/PDIF converter & RMAF

For those who are not aware, Peachtree will soon release a new 24/192 asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter for $199. I am anxious to try it with the Dacit here, and see if it outperforms the Asus Xonar ST bridge I am presently using.

I saw Chris' "Preshow Peek" reference to the product, and was hoping he might see this post and share any impressions of the X1. Also would appreciate any comments from anyone who has had a chance to hear the X1 in action. :0)

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

For those who are not aware, Peachtree will soon release a new 24/192 asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter for $199. I am anxious to try it with the Dacit here, and see if it outperforms the Asus Xonar ST bridge I am presently using.

I saw Chris' "Preshow Peek" reference to the product, and was hoping he might see this post and share any impressions of the X1. Also would appreciate any comments from anyone who has had a chance to hear the X1 in action. :0)

Jim

It was cute. Empirical had one too, and so did Resonessence, and IIRC, didn't Wyred4Sound have a new one? Lots of little converters running around these days!

This might be a dumb question, but this seems to be a bit of an odd niche to get so hot all of a sudden. The companies making these converters seem also to make perfectly good USB DAC's. For what markets do they envision these products? Is it that they think their own DAC's sound best on S/PDIF or are these units targeted to users whose DAC's lack USB inputs?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks Scot for your comment.

This might be a dumb question, but this seems to be a bit of an odd niche to get so hot all of a sudden. The companies making these converters seem also to make perfectly good USB DAC's. For what markets do they envision these products? Is it that they think their own DAC's sound best on S/PDIF or are these units targeted to users whose DAC's lack USB inputs?

Mike;

I can only speak of my own experience. If I use an USB output from my PC and input that USB directly to a Peachtree Dacit, the sq (sound quality) is marginal at best. You may ask, "compared to what?".

If in my case, I use a S/PDIF (coax) output from my Asus Xonar ST card to the S/PDIF input of the Dacit the sq increases rather dramatically. The toslink input to the Dacit is slightly inferior to coax, but not as marginal as USB.

I never cease to be amazed at just how good the S/PDIF coax signal is out of the Asus card, and how well the Dacit processes this data stream.

But, despite my good fortune, I am always curious as to whether I can get better sq out of a converter (USB to S/PDiF), than my Asus card. This would be so, if the converter presented the Dacit with less jitter, a cleaner voltage, with less computer electrical contamination of the overall data signal. Generally speaking the Dac itself will present a better analogue output when it receives a cleaner input itself.

So, my question becomes, will the new Peachtree converter have a better S/PDIF (coax) output signal than my present Asus card?

As far as why S/PDIF as opposed to USB, and when one is better than the other, I have already made this too lengthy, so possibly another forum member will comment on that subject.

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz

I think the answer is that there are still a lot of existing DACs without a USB input, and also a lot of DACs where the USB input is subpar. Lots of users of the various USB>SPDIF converters say the best computer audio sound they get is with the converter.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My (limited) experience suggests that the answer to which sounds better, USB-SPDIF converter or straight SPDIF, depends on system and individual preference. When I had a Cambridge Audio 840C in the chain, I preferred the sound via a MF VLinkII converter. With my current DSPeaker Dual Core DAC/EQ, straight SPDIF sounds cleaner and more transparent. Straight USB is unsatisfactory for now, pending DC firmware promised update to make its USB input asynchronous. Note that my front end is a SBT, not a *regular* computer.

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I think the answer is that there are still a lot of existing DACs without a USB input, and also a lot of DACs where the USB input is subpar. Lots of users of the various USB>SPDIF converters say the best computer audio sound they get is with the converter.

It's not just the lack of USB inputs, but is the benefit of PC placement. My PC is located in the other room, and the cable path is 10 m, with USB 10 m I didn't wanted to even think about it. But with AES/EBU 10 m is nothing, and running the cable through the tube in the floor was easy, solder the connector at the end, and you are ready.

So I have the benefit of short USB cable, PC is not in my listening room, sound quality is great... in my opinion converters are indispensable even if you have a DAC with USB input.

I questioned the validity of a USB converter for sometime. In the end I dipped my toe in the water and bought a Stello U3.

One of the best purchases I have made.

My thoughts and reasoning are HERE

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

On the question, a converter (type of converter?) or no converter, the previous posts describe the right answer, "it depends". :0)

Each audiophile situation requires some thought as to what are the best solutions for that situation. I suspect a lot of money is wasted by those who try to latch on to a general rule and apply it to their special circumstances.

That is why this forum is such a neat place. With a little time and questions asked of the members you can arrive at a good solution.

Some dacs don't require a converter because usb implementation is so well done. Others need a converter for best performance. Converter choice should often be guided by the make and/or type of dac. Different transfer modes for equipment requirements or for the placement of equipment are often a big factor.

Enjoy the music,

Jim

Jim makes a good point. Some DAC's are designed to work best using the USB connection. For example in the Wadia 121 owner's manual it lists the hierarchy of connection methods, from highest sound quality to lowest (the 121 has AES/EBU, Toslink Optical, Coaxial and USB inputs). Wadia specifically states that the USB connection provides the best sound quality for the 121 as compared to the other input options.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Some DAC's are designed to work best using the USB connection. For example in the Wadia 121 owner's manual it lists the hierarchy of connection methods, from highest sound quality to lowest (the 121 has AES/EBU, Toslink Optical, Coaxial and USB inputs). Wadia specifically states that the USB connection provides the best sound quality for the 121 as compared to the other input options.

A case in point. I have been using a S/PDIF coax output from the Asus Xonar card to a Peachtree Dacit. As I stated previously, this configuration was much better than usb from pc to Dac.

That is until I purchased a new low noise 9 volt power supply for the Peachtree.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/stock-power-supply-and-peachtree-dacit-13214/

I have recently retried the usb connection direct from the pc to Dacit with this new ps (power supply). God forbid, the direct usb connection sounds fantastic now! Direct usb now sounds superior to any other configuration. Apparently, the stock ps severely compromised the capability of the usb implementation of the Dacit.

With the new ps the Peachtree appears not to require a converter, at least that is my experience here. I'll be waiting to try the new X1 Peachtree converter to see if it makes any difference.

Jim