IGNORED

Apple Event 09/12/2012

Yeah, new carousel like iTunes store...and iTunes itself gets a slight update to better grid look, with split screens, etc. Nothing about 24 bit or better lossy downloads though.... :(

The new Nano looks pretty nice, with DVR functionality on its FM tuner. I've always wanted that in the car.....like "what did he just say?" or "what was the name of that song"?

I'm thinking more of a possibility rather than necessity. Many docks will no longer work even with an adapter.

Docks have become an unecessary component. So many docks have frankly sounded so poor that I for one would not mind seeing most go away. There was a study maybe six months back concerning docks and iPod peripherals and the steady eroding of the market to the point that companies were stopping production and existing stocks in large retail spaces were being discounted heavily. In reality all you you really need is an Apple dock which thankfully doesn't take over the device and simply charges it and passes the signal. If the new connector is digital then I'll bet Apple will bring out a digital dock. Watch for companies like B&W to have their Zeppelin to sport one pronto.

With either an Apple TV or an AirPort express hooked up to a music system, simple delivery of AirPlay from an iO device is much more convenient for people. IF iTunes ever does become a higher resolution source then I would bet that a cord with a digital out on one end with lightening on the other would pass digital to whatever digital input you wanted.

David

I hear you, but there are tons of niche ways to use the analog output. I connect my iPhone to my car this way (30-pin to USB) and I'm willing to bet many others do as well. Guess I need a new car :~(

I'm all for digital out as the sound quality can be improved so much more than using the internal iPhone DAC.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm thinking more of a possibility rather than necessity. Many docks will no longer work even with an adapter.

Yeah, I'm a bit sad on that change, although I understand that the kind of connector cannot be kep unchanged forever. There are several cars and expensive hifi-equipment (like Manley's tube amp) now with outdated dock connectors.

I wonder if my Onkyo ND-S1 will work with adapter or not...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I'm not sure Chris, the coverage I read implied all current docks would work with the adaptor; but maybe that was docks which use some form of USB/digital connection.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Video and iPod Out not supported.

This is quote from the new Lightening to 30 pin adaptor...

However don't panic (yet), iPod Out is nothing to do with analogue audio - it (probably) refers to the capability of a BMW Mini (and maybe some other cars) to directly control the Audio app of the iOS device.

Still no one knows about analogue audio for older docks and car interfaces which utilise analogue audio. Though I think I'm glad I kept hold of my 80G iPod.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I hope so but Apple presented a slide today that said digital only.

You could very well be right on this. What with AirPlay and the headphone audio out it almost feels like analog out from the connector could be considered redundant. The new digital out connection could pave the way for higher res audio out into digital inputs which are showing up on everything now. I could see this as the way forward for Apple seeing as their devices are all digital anyway. This makes sense actually.

David

I have a Sony "boombox" with an iPod dock that I listen to while I'm puttering in the garage. My iPhone fits inside a "door" like with an old cassette deck. I don't think the new longer iPhone is going to fit as is, and definitely not with a dock adapter attached to the bottom. I guess the life span of that boombox is limited by how long my iPhone 4/iPod Classic hold out. I don't think that mine is the only example of a dock adapter being physically unfeasible.

zss4ip.jpg

I have a Sony "boombox" with an iPod dock that I listen to while I'm puttering in the garage. My iPhone fits inside a "door" like with an old cassette deck. I don't think the new longer iPhone is going to fit as is, and definitely not with a dock adapter attached to the bottom. I guess the life span of that boombox is limited by how long my iPhone 4/iPod Classic hold out. I don't think that mine is the only example of a dock adapter being physically unfeasible.

zss4ip.jpg

Won't look as neat... But the 20cm cable version of the adaptor may provide a solution.

Eloise

---

From MacWorld:

"Apple has confirmed to Macworld that these adapters support analog and USB audio-out, as well as syncing and charging. However, the adapters don’t support video-out or iPod mode, the latter a special mode that lets particular accessories, such as car stereos and some whole-home-audio systems, display your iPod’s menus on the accessory’s own screen. More cryptically, the online Apple Store’s product pages note that “some 30-pin accessories are not supported.”Astute readers may have noticed that the Lightning connector does not support analog audio-out, but the 30-pin adapters do. That’s because hidden away inside each 30-pin adapter is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts the Lightning connector’s digital audio signal to an analog version. (The inclusion of a DAC explains at least part of the price of the adapters.)"

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Whatever happened to abiding by a mou by the eu on connectors and phone chargers?

EUROPA - Press Releases - A common mobile phone charger

You can buy an adaptor...

To be honest though there's not much difference between a phone with a Micro USB connection and one that has a USB connection on the charger to a proprietary connector (IMO). Have any of the other signatories stopped supplying chargers? The point of the MOU was to reduce the number of chargers, but that's not happened as every phone still comes with a charger, only it's now got a micro USB connector on the end rather than a Nokia or Ericsson connector...

Eloise

Eloise

---