IGNORED

Sexual preference in audio

NOMBEDES

Why are women, in general, ambivalent concerning all things audiophile?

Women must like music as much as men. There are brilliant female vocalists and musicians.

Women can hear better than men (and well into advancing age!) There should not be a difference, but alas, there is a difference.

Why do many male participants on this site, and many others, include side comments concerning females not approving of speaker size, speaker placement, tube glow, equipment shelving, well, the list goes on.

It cannot be an objection to high quality musical reproduction. It must be gadgetophobia.

Consider this:

Men like cars more than women like cars.

Men like locomotives more than women like locomotives.

Men like smartphones, iPads and all manner of tech more than women do.

So maybe it is not the fact that your 300 lb X 2 Wilson Speakers are indeed butt ugly, it is the fact that any speaker, amp, DAC, cable etc. is to a woman, a gizmo, a thing.

What DO women want?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

What DO women want?

From my limited experience, in general, they like small unobtrusive speakers that can sit on the carpet,or in an Ëntertainment Unit", and music played at such a level that they can still carry on a normal conversation.(grin)

Eloise is of course likely to be an exception to that general rule!(smile)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

"The time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women!"

Definitely no objective measurements to be made there...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Why are women, in general, ambivalent concerning all things audiophile?

Women must like music as much as men. There are brilliant female vocalists and musicians.

Sadly though there are very few female producers...

Women can hear better than men (and well into advancing age!) There should not be a difference, but alas, there is a difference.

That probably relates to the same thing as premature blindness. :-)

Why do many male participants on this site, and many others, include side comments concerning females not approving of speaker size, speaker placement, tube glow, equipment shelving, well, the list goes on.

It cannot be an objection to high quality musical reproduction. It must be gadgetophobia.

It's because we have to clean around them and dust them!

Consider this:

Men like cars more than women like cars.

No, we just like different kind of cars...

Men like locomotives more than women like locomotives.

Actually steam locomotives are full of romance and have a certain allure. Now diesel locomotives ... yuk!

Women like iPads, we just don't like Androids :-)

So maybe it is not the fact that your 300 lb X 2 Wilson Speakers are indeed butt ugly, it is the fact that any speaker, amp, DAC, cable etc. is to a woman, a gizmo, a thing.

No, Wilson speakers are just butt ugly!

What DO women want?

That's the thing. Women don't want the same thing in just the same way that men don't all want the same thing.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

On a slightly serious note, we guys are somewhat brainwashed too. Remember

What are little boys made of? Snips and snails, and puppy dog tails... that's what little boys are made of!

What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice... that's what little girls are made of!

That is really kind of a gross image for boys, not cute in the least. Remember, you would have to cut the tails off puppies in this case, or someone would. Brrr....

The way I look at it, there are real differences between the sexes, and thank goodness for that! :)

My wife, for instance, is somewhat sensitive because she is not contributing as much money to the family coffers right now as I am. I have to be especially sensitive of her feelings about that, but I don't really understand why she feels that way. She does hundreds of things that I could never do, and on top of that, we have never had separate finances, and we are not in a financial bind of any kind. Huh? If the tables were reversed, I would probably be looking for a job faster than lightening, but only because I don't think I could do what she does all day! (Our daughter is an adult child with special needs, she takes up an enormous amount of time. So does just about everything else on the domestic front. I have yet to figure out how she squeezes 32 hours of work into 18 hours.)

On the other hand, I remember getting royally pissed about a crack her mother made once. Karen totally was (and still is) at a loss to understand why the crack got me so annoyed I invited her mother to mount her broom and depart. I was working for Singer Link engineering Navy flight simulators, and her mother dismissed my job as not being a "real" job, like Karen's brother had. Her bother was working, part time, for UPS loading trucks. Karen laughed and agreed with her. I got really - annoyed. At the time, I was working 20+ hour days. :)

Point is, if Karen really doesn't like something about the audio system, I don't necessarily need to understand why. It's enough to know she does not like it, and it isn't that much of a problem to find something else we both do like.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Less sexism.

God bless. FWIW I have a preference for sex when listening to audio while I'm wearing high heels.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Without generalizing to all women, I personally think pragmatism is a big part of it. Why spend a fortune on squeezing out the last 1-2%, when a moderate amount of money buys you a good enough enjoyable system. The fortune is better spent on the mortgage/kid college fund/shoes/travels ...

That, and all this "big, heavy, chrome, ..." design. My wife respected, but detested my large Dynaudio floorstanders (size and design, although the cherry wood is beautiful imho) She loves my Genelecs, though. Cute, white, roundish and unobtrusive :-)

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

When I read the title I thought this was going to be about whether certain audio interfaces or formats were preferred by hetero- or homo-sexuals. I must admit I was a little disappointed...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Not from where I'm sitting they don't. I find it's a BIG plus with women if an iPhone or iPad gets pulled into a conversation about a new music or home control system. A remote control remains a mystery to many women but it sure seems like most know how to work their phone!

David