IGNORED

Article: Ripping Blu-ray The Easy Way

Nice job! When I sent you that email about the updated DVDFAB I had no idea about the need for Passkey. Good catch!! Thanks

Ted

Edit: DVDFAB website shows a 20% coupon code till Sep 2 (for Passkey)

Thanks Chris. Very easy!

I just ordered the Patricia Barber Blu ray. Do we have a list of titles with 24/96 or greater?

Steve,

Modern Cool is well done. The surround is ok, but the 24/192 stereo is much better than even the DSD rip (which was PCM-based anyway).

Thanks Chris. Very easy!

I just ordered the Patricia Barber Blu ray. Do we have a list of titles with 24/96 or greater?

I wish I had a list. I've been using Blu-ray, Blu-ray Movies, Blu-ray Players, Blu-ray Reviews to browser concert discs and glean as much info as possible from the stats there.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

For anyone who is also obsessed with Blu-ray for movies (like myself) and wants to squeeze the highest quality out of the disc and into a file, I reccomend you check out MakeMKV MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD. This program is free (find the beta key in their forum) and it allows you to rip a movie from Blu-ray or DVD to a playable MKV file with no loss in quality. It also allows you to select which audio formats and subtitle tracks to include in the mkv file.

Cheers

Interesting. We were having a discussion on SurroundSound forums about this very topic. One thing Chris that is causing some debate on the forums is whether or not this software actually decodes the DTS HD MA tracks or just gives you the core DTS. A gentleman on the forum contacted the customer support unit of DVDAE and they indicated that their DTS decoder only works for the core DTS. They indicated that they hope to add support for DTS HD MA in a new version. I think it's an important thing to note as most of the Blu Ray discs that come out tend to be of the DTS varient, not usually dolby true hd. I don't really have a way to confirm this or not so was wondering if you might be able to confirm or deny this. Perhaps the gentleman was using the OS X version? You seem to indicate only the windows version will do any kind of lossless.

To nckslvrmn- The only problem with MKV files is that they cannot contain lossless audio. AFAIK the main problem with MKV's is that you can't get anything other than dolby or dts cores. I wasn't aware this had changed.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Interesting. We were having a discussion on SurroundSound forums about this very topic. One thing Chris that is causing some debate on the forums is whether or not this software actually decodes the DTS HD MA tracks or just gives you the core DTS. A gentleman on the forum contacted the customer support unit of DVDAE and they indicated that their DTS decoder only works for the core DTS. They indicated that they hope to add support for DTS HD MA in a new version. I think it's an important thing to note as most of the Blu Ray discs that come out tend to be of the DTS varient, not usually dolby true hd. I don't really have a way to confirm this or not so was wondering if you might be able to confirm or deny this. Perhaps the gentleman was using the OS X version? You seem to indicate only the windows version will do any kind of lossless.

To nckslvrmn- The only problem with MKV files is that they cannot contain lossless audio. AFAIK the main problem with MKV's is that you can't get anything other than dolby or dts cores. I wasn't aware this had changed.

I'll check what I can right now and post a follow up.

I was able to encode the audio part of the MKV file as FLAC when I tried MakeMKV. However extracting the FLAC from the MKV file is another story altogether.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks guys. As I discover good titles, I'll post something here. Maybe we can start a list of good Blu-ray titles besides the obvious ones like 2L.
Here's the plan.When you have info about a Blu-ray please post it in the Music Analysis Forum. The just apply the tag "blu-ray rip" without quotes.

blu-ray-rip-tag.png

Searching by tags is easy -> blu-ray rip - Search Results - Computer Audiophile

blu-ray-rip-tag.png

...whether or not this software actually decodes the DTS HD MA tracks or just gives you the core DTS. ... I don't really have a way to confirm this or not so was wondering if you might be able to confirm or deny this.

Hi bleedink - I ripped a DTS-HD track from Peter Gabriel's Secret World Live Blu-ray. Here is the information seen via JRiver Media Center. How can I tell if the DTS HD MA was decoded?

pg-sgl-brd.png

The Blu-ray was remastered from the original 16mm film. Wish they would have used at least 24 bits.

Are we sure they didn't? The core stream may very well be 16/48 with the "residual" stream containing all the information needed to bump it up to 24/96 or even 24/192 since Blu-ray supports that high up to 6 channels. There's still hope Chris! (The hope supposes DTS-HD MA.)

Rob C

There is an option in MakeMKV to make a "decrypted full-disc backup" of a DVD or (presumably) Blu-ray. You can then use DVDAE to extract the audio track from the resulting files. (DVDAE won't work with MKV files.) More info here:

MakeMKV FAQ » How to create decrypted full disc backup (M2TS) ?

I'm going to try this out tonight in OSX--hopefully I'll be able to extract full lossless files using this method. (BTW, the OSX version of DVDAE works great with non-encrypted Blu-rays--at least with the one I tried (Chris Botti Live), where I was able to directly extract the 24/96 stereo file with no problem whatsoever on my MacBook Pro and Pioneer BD drive.)

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Well, it seems to have worked! Using MakeMKV on OSX (Mountain Lion 10.8.1) I made a backup from a Blu-ray disc, carefully following the directions on the FAQ page referenced in my post above. It took about 20 minutes. (The Blu-ray was of the Shostakovich 8th Symphony and other works with Andris Nelsons and the Concertgebouw Orchestra on the C Major label, a copy-protected disc that DVDAE couldn't extract from on its own.) MakeMKV placed 1 file (23GB) and 2 folders (25KB and 8MB) on my Desktop, where I had told it to place the files. The program also reported quite a few hash-check errors while encoding, but they didn't seem to be of any concern.

I then opened DVDAE and initially had some difficulty with getting it to recognize the files--it wouldn't open any of the 3 files/folders that MakeMKV made. It was only after I simply told it to look in the Desktop (duh!) that it recognized all the chapters, just as if I had inserted a real disc. I selected the 48kHz PCM stereo track and DVDAE went to work, extracting the files in just under a half-hour. (I had also told it to output 24-bit files, even though the source files were likely 16-bit.) I verified the results with Audacity, which clearly showed output all the way up to 24kHz. The files sound great!

This was my first time extracting audio from a copy-protected Blu-ray disc, and I'll need to try it again with a few more, but so far, so good!

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Sorry Chris my thread thing wasn't set correctly. I am thinking you only have the core DTS. It sounds kinda small for that kind of thing--again that's where the debate comes in. Again, if the gentleman on the forum is to be believed, according to the DAE folks they only do the core. Same for MKV, unless something has changed in the last couple months, which is why folks aren't using it for music. You only get the DTS core. Not saying that can't sound great, but it isn't the same animal. There are a LOT of DTS varients that are not 1.5mbps. DTS96/24 f.e. DTS does have the ability to be 16 or 24 bit at either rate. I'm no expert though. But my experience tends to bear out the fact that only DTS is getting decoded.

FYI I am using the trial. I don't think I have access to tech suport so I'd think someone with a registered copy would be able to find this out for sure from DAE.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Chris,

I see you are using an external Blu-ray. I'm out of the loop with these but looks to be a better solution than installing an internal BD so you could use it with other computers. Is that the rational or is it just because they look way cool.........:)

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Chris,

I see you are using an external Blu-ray. I'm out of the loop with these but looks to be a better solution than installing an internal BD so you could use it with other computers. Is that the rational or is it just because they look way cool.........:)

I actually have one internal and one external. The external is best for MacBooks or laptops and moving between computers. Nothing to do with appearance.

I picked up the Pioneer that Chris recommended. It worked great on my PC ripping Patricia Barber. I can also use it on my Macs.

I can join you and Chris in recommending Pioneer BD units. I had an LG one before, which first worked only for one in two BluRay discs and then, after six weeks, died. In contrast, I am very pleased with my Pioneer BluRay burner (internal in my case).

Great to hear Russell!

I can also confirm it works on a Mac.

Using MakeMKV to decrypt the blu-ray and then DVDAExtractor to rip results in high-resolution files. I have to enter metadata in manually, though. (And even when entering metadata in DVDAExtractor, it doesn't appear to get transferred to iTunes once you import the files.)

Just to clarify, use the BACKUP button on MakeMKV to decrypt the blu-ray, not the Make MKV button.