IGNORED

HiRes 192/24 FLAC Music Files over home wiring based network

Our solar panels transmit data in this way. I can't detect any interference on the line even when I am not trying to filter it out, but I feel obligated to filter it out of my audio system.

I will say I have had something as simple as an Oyen Digital external drive wall wart screw up data transmission. That suggests (a) the data transmission is a bit fragile, and (b) a wall-wart crappy switching power supply on your circuit (or other circuits) can do you more harm.

Is this not a good idea? I'm trying to avoid drilling a hole in the floor again.

thanks

Perhaps read in the forums about some of the Network Attached Storage (NAS) or other wireless networking solutions people are using successfully?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I ran into buffering delays using WiFi to serve 24/192 FLAC to a laptop running JRMC in memory mode. I have heard from others that this works fine in their system. My WiFi is only 100Mbps, so maybe that was the problem.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

I ran into buffering delays using WiFi to serve 24/192 FLAC to a laptop running JRMC in memory mode. I have heard from others that this works fine in their system. My WiFi is only 100Mbps, so maybe that was the problem.

I have trouble using remote storage with JRMC over my networks, even hardwired. I think that is more a program performance issue than anything inherent in streaming the music around.

I can stream 24/192 to a SBT over a wireless bridge (Aiport Express) with no issues, while streaming a HD Movie to the television at the same time. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Estimate of wi-fi performance (guess):

Max for WiFi = 54 Mbit/s

Stable throughput (guess) = 54 Mbit/s / 2 = 27 Mbit/s

PCM 192 kHz/24 bit/stereo= 192000 * 24 * 2 / 1e6 = 9.216 Mbit/s

(reserve is 27 Mbit/s / 9.216 Mbit/s = 2.93)

PCM 192 kHz/24 bit/5.1= 192000 * 24 * 6 / 1e6 = 27.648 Mbit/s

(reserve is 27 Mbit/s / 27.648 Mbit/s = 0.98)

FLAC compress close 66% PCM. Reserve is more then estimated.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Estimate of wi-fi performance (guess):

Max for WiFi = 54 Mbit/s

Stable throughput (guess) = 54 Mbit/s / 2 = 27 Mbit/s

PCM 192 kHz/24 bit/stereo= 192000 * 24 * 2 / 1e6 = 9.216 Mbit/s

(reserve is 27 Mbit/s / 9.216 Mbit/s = 2.93)

PCM 192 kHz/24 bit/5.1= 192000 * 24 * 6 / 1e6 = 27.648 Mbit/s

(reserve is 27 Mbit/s / 27.648 Mbit/s = 0.98)

FLAC compress close 66% PCM. Reserve is more then estimated.

And modern wireless usually is capable of 150Mbit/s or in the case of most of my machines, 300Mbit/s. If you use a decent router like an Airport Extreme, the multiple antennas make it even better, which is one ason I recommend them.

All That tends to make your estimates even more conservative. ;)

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

And modern wireless usually is capable of 150Mbit/s or in the case of most of my machines, 300Mbit/s.

Yes, Paul. For HD Audio is more than enough.

If interestingly it is possible make the real estimate of throughput (Mbytes per second) by copying large file (1-2 Gbyte, for exception buffer) from hard disk of one computer to HDD of other computer. File manager should have estimate capability (like "Total Commander" for Windows).

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature