IGNORED

Antelope Audio or Berkeley Audio Designs?

Hey guys I have the opportunity to land either an Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU or a Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha DAC (Series 1). The Zodiac/PSU combo will cost me $600 more than the BADA.

I haven't heard either DAC and won't be able to before I buy. I've read great reviews for both, but more for the BADA (some extremely positive reviews for it). However the BADA is getting older now so I'm wondering if the ZG+V would be the better sounding option. I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 Asynch USB -> AES/EBU between PC and DAC already and will be using that with whichever DAC I get. Would be great if someone happens to have heard both DAC's in question and could provide some insight.

From the reviews of the ZG+Voltikus (especially 6moons); I'm getting the impression that the ZG+Voltikus is more on-par with the BADA Series 2/Weiss DAC202 and the BADA Series 1 is more on-par with the Weiss DAC2/Minerva. :confused: Makes me think I should grab the ZG+V.

What would you guys do? :)

May i ask, why just these two; theres sooo many new DAC's ATM. You really should open the field up a little!

PS, i owned the ZG+V for a while...

Hey guys I have the opportunity to land either an Antelope Zodiac Gold & Voltikus PSU or a Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha DAC (Series 1). The Zodiac/PSU combo will cost me $600 more than the BADA.

I haven't heard either DAC and won't be able to before I buy. I've read great reviews for both, but more for the BADA (some extremely positive reviews for it). However the BADA is getting older now so I'm wondering if the ZG+V would be the better sounding option. I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 Asynch USB -> AES/EBU between PC and DAC already and will be using that with whichever DAC I get. Would be great if someone happens to have heard both DAC's in question and could provide some insight.

From the reviews of the ZG+Voltikus (especially 6moons); I'm getting the impression that the ZG+Voltikus is more on-par with the BADA Series 2/Weiss DAC202 and the BADA Series 1 is more on-par with the Weiss DAC2/Minerva. :confused: Makes me think I should grab the ZG+V.

Meridian MC200 - DSP6000MKII

I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 Asynch USB -> AES/EBU between PC and DAC already and will be using that with whichever DAC I get.[/color]

I would suggest the Berkeley if you are going this route. The whole reason to buy the Antelope is there insanely good clock. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it would sound better with USB strait from the computer. Especially if you have a good clean USB output signal from your computer. That said, this is one of the reasons I'd go for the Antelope over the Berkeley.

Not really; I had the Gold hear for 10-12 weeks. The USB input picked up a lot of ground noise from the computer. It's not Galvanically isolated, so isn't its best input IMHO. If you're buying new, at full RRP, then you have many many options. I found my current DAC, which is in the same price range, to be far superior in every department; even against much more expensive company.

I would suggest the Berkeley if you are going this route. The whole reason to buy the Antelope is there insanely good clock. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it would sound better with USB strait from the computer. Especially if you have a good clean USB output signal from your computer. That said, this is one of the reasons I'd go for the Antelope over the Berkeley.

Im' using the same computer; no ground noise. The USB input on the Gold simples doesn't compare.

I had the Gold/Voltikus and Weiss DAC202 here along with the INVICTA, all were demoed in the same system and room, the Gold came last! Also the build quality of the Antelope DAC's is nothing to write home about IMHO.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The reason for only 2 options is as AudioExplorations described... I am buying on the used market. This is the only way I can afford to get into this level of DAC. Unfortunately that means my options may be a bit limited by what is currently available to me in the market.

I mean... I could grab a Bryston BDA-1 for half the price of either the ZG+V or BADA. I've heard the BADA is quite superior to the BDA-1, though. Another option I suppose would be a brand-new NAD M51 DAC... again much cheaper than either the ZG+V or BADA. Sigh... decisions, decisions!!!

Has anyone hear both the BADA 1 and ZG+V and can comment on their preference between the two? Is the BADA 2 really that much better than the BADA 1?

Has anyone hear both the BADA 1 and ZG+V and can comment on their preference between the two? Is the BADA 2 really that much better than the BADA 1?

I've compared both in the same system, except the Bada 1 was fed by the Berkeley USB->S/PDIF converter. I was actually surprised by how much I preferred the BADA 1 over the Zodiac. The Berkeley seemed to have better resolution and smoother upper frequencies, as well as deeper low frequencies. The Zodiac sounded slightly harsh in comparison. Both were directly driving the amps, instead of using a preamp.

I've compared both in the same system, except the Bada 1 was fed by the Berkeley USB->S/PDIF converter. I was actually surprised by how much I preferred the BADA 1 over the Zodiac. The Berkeley seemed to have better resolution and smoother upper frequencies, as well as deeper low frequencies. The Zodiac sounded slightly harsh in comparison. Both were directly driving the amps, instead of using a preamp.

Interesting. Thank you for your comparison. I will also be using a USB -> SPDIF converter just not the Berkeley USB.

Having heard both here, I find neither in the first rank, I would cast your net a little wider.

Keith.

Care to name some suggestions? The problem with casting my net wider is that it'll cost me double the money to buy at this level brand-new. My current budget is $3-$3500 used or $3000 new. That is already stretching it... if I start looking at BADA2's, Weiss DAC202's etc... then my cost will be around the $4500-$6000 mark. :eek:

I've had the Antelope Gold +Z combo for over 1/2 year now and think it's great. I've not been able to compare it with the BADA, but in my opinion and in my system it outperformed the NAIM DAC and the Ayre QB9 for example. am using auraliti PK9 USB as source. the antelope does need a lot of hours to burn in, but once it has, it's worth every $.

Auralic Aries - Antelope Zodiac Gold/Voltikus - Crystal Reference Diamond - Pathos TT - Crystal micro - Rogers LS3/5a

you should also be aware that the usb to spdif converter plays a very significant role to the final result...

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

• 10 months later...

What did you end up with?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Some of the BADA1's are upgradable to the 2. You might want to contact Berkeley and see if the unit is upgradable, and if so, how much that would run. Always something you could do down the line if that is the case.

A Digital Audio Converter connected to my Home Computer taking me into the Future

Definately go with the BADA series 2 as it is equipped with much better, Crystek clocks. Those clocks have much less phase noise (jitter) making the sound much smoother and more spacious.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3