IGNORED

Article: Become a CA Subscriber Today!

Ah, the ultimate passive/aggressive. Anonymous passive/aggressive.

-Chris

I suppose you feel that my post was about you? It was more of a general statement with no particular person in mind, just humanity and our collective intelligence and reasoning skills, or lack thereof.

No electron left behind.

The ads being gone really does make a tremendous difference!

I also like your reasons too. :)

Anyways, welcome to the dark side Pete. Now you can join in with the rest of elite subscribers in making nefarious plans.... to take over the world! Bwaahhh haaa ha!

-Paul

(And just in case anyone actually takes that crack about nefarious plans seriously, please.... get a sense of humor! :) )

I just joined the forces of subscribers and WOW.

It is so much faster and very nice and clean without the ads.

So why did I do it?

- I subscribe in recocnition of the countless overnighters Chris must have pulled to keep this baby ticking.

- I subscribe because full time involvement by Chris will keep CA valuable to us and newbies.

- I subscribe in gratitude for the help CA was in choosing and setting up my current rig.

- I subscribe because because i love hanging out with you guys in this clean environment.

I would love to see a discount for high-res surround material, say from itrax.com and 2L - the Nordic Sound.

I am impressed how the subscription kicked in instantly - very cool!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I suppose you feel that my post was about you? It was more of a general statement with no particular person in mind, just humanity and our collective intelligence and reasoning skills, or lack thereof.

More to the point; whether it was about me wasn't a consideration.

It rubbed me slightly the wrong way when I read it earlier today. What did? The fact that you didn't mention what made you wonder, not who said the things that made you wonder.

Collective reasoning skills and intelligence, or lack thereof, is still a cop out. Your kind of comment is better left unsaid unless one has the gonads to be specific. After all your reasoning and intelligence, or lack thereof, might be the problem.

-Chris

Chris

I will happily pay to belong to a sound subscriber site, even though the discount options will be of little use to me.

However, "sound" in my mind means appropriate "critical mass" in subscriptions. I am thus leaning (at this time) towards a 'wait and see' approach.

Chris, Are you able to keep us informed regarding subscriber numbers?

Many thanks

Frank

What's critical mass got to do with anything? Why worry about being a subscriber one way or the other? If you want the benefits, mainly the sell function and discounts, subscribe, if not, don't. Unless of course you don't like a particular thing about subscribing like the segregated topics policy, but that doesn't seem to be a concern of yours.

There's a poll of how people feel about subscribing or not. Check it out, it should give you some idea. I think the total number of votes no matter which way they're voted will be illustrative. For now there's only 35 or so and less than half are interested. But even if all of 35 or even 100 voters voted yes to subscriptions, how many is that really? Much less than I would have thought on a site like this.

I think there may be less truly active members than I ever thought. I say this because other polls also get way less than 100 votes for the most part, if not for the all part (I haven't checked them all out).

-Chris

The ads being gone really does make a tremendous difference!

maybe I'm missing something but what ads ? All I see is a block that's about 2" w x 4 " L on the top right hand side of the page with advertisers like Wadia Digital, dcs, etc inside this block, that's all I see on every page.

The Truth Is Out There

Hey Chris - you have to remember that poll is self selecting to some degree, people who disagree or have a negative point to make are much more likely to participate than people who agree or have only positive points.

Also, last time I looked, it was about half and half, the top three or four options should be grouped together. The bottom four or five options as well.

-Paul

What's critical mass got to do with anything? Why worry about being a subscriber one way or the other? If you want the benefits, mainly the sell function and discounts, subscribe, if not, don't. Unless of course you don't like a particular thing about subscribing like the segregated topics policy, but that doesn't seem to be a concern of yours.

There's a poll of how people feel about subscribing or not. Check it out, it should give you some idea. I think the total number of votes no matter which way they're voted will be illustrative. For now there's only 35 or so and less than half are interested. But even if all of 35 or even 100 voters voted yes to subscriptions, how many is that really? Much less than I would have thought on a site like this.

I think there may be less truly active members than I ever thought. I say this because other polls also get way less than 100 votes for the most part, if not for the all part (I haven't checked them all out).

-Chris

Robert A. Heinlein

maybe I'm missing something but what ads ? All I see is a block that's about 2" w x 4 " L on the top right hand side of the page with advertisers like Wadia Digital, dcs, etc inside this block, that's all I see on every page.

This --> ScreenNoAds.jpg

vs.

This ---> ScreenWithAds.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein

You're likely using an adblock plugin; I do and don't see ads.

Hey Chris - you have to remember that poll is self selecting to some degree, people who disagree or have a negative point to make are much more likely to participate than people who agree or have only positive points.

Also, last time I looked, it was about half and half, the top three or four options should be grouped together. The bottom four or five options as well.

-Paul

Paul, I was taking all votes into account. If I'd wanted to put it negatively (against subscribers) I could have said without fibbing, that less than 1/3 of the voters were truly committed to subscribing (10 out of 34 when I last looked).

But my real point was how few people vote in polls, not just in the subscriber's poll in particular. And from that I was speculating as to the rather small number of serious CA users (non-serious users would include those that join just to find out how to hook up a CA setup, ask one or two questions, and the like). They're not likely to look close enough to even notice things like polls. I was that type for well over a year, I lurked, gleaned info I needed and never looked elsewhere. Yet when I registered (about halfway through that year and some, I was considered a member).

Even on one of the most contentious topics on CA, cables, last I looked a few days ago, only 60 some folks voted. And I was pleading for votes.

-Chris

Okay, I took a look at a lot of polls. Most of them had significantly less than 100 votes, anywhere from 14 to 80, however two had right around 105. To me that seems like very small numbers for a forum that is touted to have many thousands of members. I'm not implying that the touted numbers are wrong, I'm just questioning the number of "serious" members.

-Chris

Hi All,

Although I see no reason for me personally to become a paid subscriber to CA, I must say that some reactions come across as somewhat unrealistic.

My question is: "what is wrong with making money???". We all need it and we all find our own ways of doing so...

So, Chris found a way to do it using CA, turning what I assume to be a longtime hobby (and passion) into something he can make a living out of. How well Chris is doing financially is nobody's business but Chris's. If he makes a very handsome income out of CA, I can only say "Well done and good for you, Chris!".

As for the subscription itself... It is just an offer. No one is forced to take it on, and I doubt it will change much for non-subscribers.

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Chris,

Your new business model is getting mixed feedback. The funny thing is that nobody would have objected if you had launched it differently. Let’s say with a ad banner like this:

AD-FREE BROWSING

The increasingly number of mobile phone and tablet users, can now participate on Computer Audiophile more efficiently. Ad free browsing saves bandwidth, increases the speed and provides more text on small screens. The price is $4.99/month and includes free use of our new Buy/Sell forum and selected discounts from various suppliers. Click here for more details.

-----------

;-)

Natural born audiophile and music lover with a few thousand classic rock and jazz albums heard through: Dedicated PC > XXHighEnd > Phasure NOS1 DAC > Active preamp > 3-way active XO > 3kW SS amps > DIY linesource speakers (a 200cm ribbon, 12 7" mid drivers and 7 12" bass drivers each channel) > acoustical treated 45m2 listening room. Dedicated mains line, DIY silver/cotton cables, etc etc.

Re Polls, as I see it, the only conclusion on can logically draw from the number of participants in a poll is the number of participants in that poll. Anything else is making unsupported assumptions.

I regularly visit CA but am generally not a "poll taker", here or elsewhere. I would expect a good number of other regular visitors are not poll takers either. Sometimes, the choices in a poll are created to determine the "answers", other times, it is just that I'm not interested in the poll.

To suggest a connection between the number of poll takers and the number of visitors to the site is to leave the facts behind. Or perhaps I'm missing something. The only way I know the number of visitors to a Web site is to have access to the reports from the ISP. I have these for my own sites but not for anyone else's.

There is a fine line between "free speech" and insulting the host. I hope this is kept in mind.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Some of the comments here really make me wonder about people...

Which people? Wonder what?

Do you like the people who accept that this is a good thing without reserve; or those challenging whether having subscriptions change the feeling of the site.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Re Polls, as I see it, the only conclusion on can logically draw from the number of participants in a poll is the number of participants in that poll. Anything else is making unsupported assumptions.

I regularly visit CA but am generally not a "poll taker", here or elsewhere. I would expect a good number of other regular visitors are not poll takers either. Sometimes, the choices in a poll are created to determine the "answers", other times, it is just that I'm not interested in the poll.

To suggest a connection between the number of poll takers and the number of visitors to the site is to leave the facts behind. Or perhaps I'm missing something. The only way I know the number of visitors to a Web site is to have access to the reports from the ISP. I have these for my own sites but not for anyone else's.

There is a fine line between "free speech" and insulting the host. I hope this is kept in mind.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

I never argue with perception. I applaud when someone comments with awareness, insight in a balanced manner. Intention is highly overrated. We are all making decisions moment to moment. Some of those choices take us toward our goal, some away from our goal and some sideways.

Thank you Barry.Good counsel, high quality recording is valuable in any form.

Best,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mav52 View Post

This --> Attachment 1392

vs.

This ---> Attachment 1393

Nope not seeing anything like that Paul. Must be my browser settings. Anyway, there is no forum delay, no ads with my navigating around this site.

The Truth Is Out There

Nope not seeing anything like that Paul. Must be my browser settings. Anyway, there is no forum delay, no ads with my navigating around this site.

Interesting, why don't you post a full screen shot of what you see? I suspect there are blanks where the ads are, and the screen is still compressed to fit in the ads, but perhaps I am wrong. Ad blockers can do a pretty good job, as can the reader mode in Safari, but I have not seen a blocker that does as good a job as your's does! (That's actually pretty cool.)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein