IGNORED

Article: C.A.P.S. v2.0

Hi Dennis - There are a lot of resident computer experts :~) Yours is absolutely correct that the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 should all sound the same provided they are configured exactly the same. <br />

<br />

Considering the minimal price difference of the 64 bit versions I opted to go for the version with absolutely every option available incase something was needed down the road. <br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

All parts spec'ed by Chris arrived yesterday and I began putting it together. I've read every post on the CAPS v2.0 and could still use some clarification on a few things...<br />

<br />

The M10 Case:<br />

Emulating the picture in the article of the server innards (under "Hardware - Motherboard") - I removed these items from the case as shipped, as they are not used:<br />

1. VF310 Display<br />

2. Fan<br />

3. M-PX150-P2 DC-DC Converter<br />

4. 7-Connector Wiring Harness<br />

5. The M10-supplied in-line external power supply (use the other)<br />

6. The IR Remote is not used<br />

7. Removed the M10 back panel DC power inlet jack<br />

<br />

I don't see the inline SATA filter in the picture either, but it goes between the SDD and one of the two SATA connectors that splits from the white Nylon MoBo SATA Power Connector, correct?<br />

<br />

The other SATA connector on the splitter from the same white Nylon MoBo SATA Power Connector connects to the SATA to Molex adapter and it, to the PCI-to-USB card, right?<br />

<br />

I attached a picture of how mine looks.<br />

<br />

I plugged it in and green LED on MOBo lights. I push the front panel button and things come to life with front panel LED illuminated - Hooray! My monitor comes to life and says "Reboot and select proper boot device, or...". I think this is where I need to connect a (USB) optical drive and load s/w.<br />

<br />

Question: Do I need to load the IPC motherboard driver s/w from the disc... and then load Win 7 after that?<br />

<br />

I feel like a bone head. Sincere thanks in advance for your help!<br />

<br />

Randy<br />

<br />

<br />

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

Love the improvements over v1.0, good to see companies are making high end USB cards for audio, as well as audio specific filters for computer components.<br />

<br />

If I were considering to build one, I have what may possibly 2 dumb questions:<br />

<br />

1. Do you think the SQ could be improved by adding the Audiophilleo <br />

from the high end USB output, and going into a non-USB DAC?<br />

<br />

2. Would it be reasonably possible to take the CAPS criteria and make<br />

a HTPC, basically adding hi-res video playback? Or would the heat from the<br />

video card necessitate a fan, and would it inject noise into the audio?<br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

<br />

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Chris, in your experiments in building the C.A.P.S. v2; did you experiment with any other USB cards it just the SotM one? I'm curious I any/most if the improvement could be gained with a common or garden add on USB PCI card (e.g. Belkin or similar)?<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

@machinehead, for a similar machine but capable of HD video playback I'd look at nVidia ION boards. Several of these are available in fanless configuration. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I would also be interested in hearing what the difference in sound, if any, would be, with the same hardware running Voyage Linux MPD.<br />

<br />

You would obviously loose the CAPS criteria and the excellent J River software, just a curious thought though.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Battery Power.<br />

<br />

With a lower power computer, you can get decent play time with a battery pack, I have heard a decent improvement in sound as well.

I would love to build a server such as this, but arthritis in my hands prevents me from doing so. Can someone point me to a person/persons that can or does build this exact server for resale?<br />

<br />

I'd sure appreciate it.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Excellent! Thanks for the link Chris.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

Their price seems like a good deal, barely more than the cost of parts.

It does! Pity it's an American and not UK site! On that topic, does the power supply work in the UK or will a different one have to be chosen?<br />

<br />

Apologies if this has been answered before - but what is the maximum resolution output for the CAPSv2, when connecting to a monitor?

There are 2 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Chris,<br />

Great setup and thanks. But, for us real non-techies, something obvious seems missing: how do you control the music server????? Ideally, there would be a wireless touch screen or something similar that would allow you to sit in your easy chair without a monitor, mouse or keyboard. I don't have an Ipad or Iphone, but even if I did I don't understand how that would allow connection with and control of the computer (eg, allow access to J River so you could play via J River).<br />

Thanks.<br />

Dennis

http://goodwinshighend.com/music_servers/SOtM/SOtM_tX-USB.htm<br />

<br />

"For the highest quality audio USB output card for your computer click here."<br />

<br />

Pretty strong recommendation by one of the leading audio stores in the US. And Chris, I think you were the first one online to feature it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

sorry, double post

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for doing the hard part. I'm getting ready to build it. However, I have a dumb question (perhaps)...<br />

<br />

In your comments on the Jetway board, you mention "One thing to note about this board is its large heat sink. There is no way to use a full height PCI card, even with a riser, without hitting the heat sink."<br />

<br />

I've looked at the pictures (side view attached) of the board on the Logic Supply site, and I don't see the heatsink extending as far over as to interfere with the PCI slot. I realize the USB card you spec'd is not full height, but I'm toying with using the ESI Juli@ which is full height (no USB on my DAC). Am I missing something? Perhaps the picture isn't accurate (wouldn't be the first time).

Hi sbullard - The issue with full height cards is the M10 case in combination with this motherboard. The case isn't high enough for a full height card. This requires PCI riser so the card can mount sideways. Mounting a card sideways doesn't work because the heat sink if taller than the PCI riser and the card will hit the heat sink.<br />

<br />

Does that help?<br />

<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If you used a case where you could mount a full height card vertically that would work fine; in the Origen M10 case you can only mount a full height card horizontally using a riser so that the card sits over the motherboard - chris' comments are that the height of the heatsink prevents this. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

Thanks for the explanation . . . that makes perfect sense. I was reading your warning too literally. <br />

<br />

My system is rack-mounted (I know, bad idea but already done). I'm going to try to build the CAPs server in a 1U rackmaount case, so the size of everything is an issue. I have nothing against the M10 case (in fact its not that much more expensive than the 1U cases), it's just I need to try to find a rackmount solution. At least with no onboard PSU and a 9.6 in board, I hope I can use a riser that positions the PCI card away from the motherboard instead of back over it. I'll post a picture IF I'm successful.

Hi sbullard,<br />

<br />

I understand your issue in trying to use a full-height Juli@ sound card in a low-profile case. You may be aware that the DAC portion of the Juli@ is contained on the top half of the card, which is invertable to use the balanced outputs -- but also removable if you are using an external DAC. I don't know if this would help with your space constraint problem.<br />

<br />

BTW, I've been using the Juli@ card with an Intel D525MW motherboard for several months now, and it works beautifully.<br />

<br />

Good luck.

Grey_Friar

Hello, Everyone -<br />

<br />

The price of a Crucial M4 512GB SATA III SSD has just now dropped below $700 at some retailers such as Amazon. This brings the cost of a totally silent and elegantly self-contained (apart from the PSU) C.A.P.S. to within a couple of hundred dollars of, say, a C.A.P.S. + 1 TB Vortexbox Appliance NAS combination. Intriguing, considering that 512GB is good enough for about 800 hours of CD music.

I am new to the audiophile arena but interested in building the Pocket Server V2 and would like to know if it will work with what I have equipment wise.<br />

<br />

Other than my computer I have a Denon 2802 AV receiver with no HDMI inuputs but it does have 3 Optical Inputs. I also have B&W CDM 9NT speakers. <br />

<br />

What is the difficulty level with building this server?<br />

<br />

Thanks,<br />

Anthony <br />

<br />

Denver Anthony