IGNORED

Article: Joe Sixpack's Sooloos - Dell SX2210T Multi-touch Monitor & J River MC 15

That is a VERY nice interface Chris! Thanks for the demo. Pitty you still have to get out of your seat...<br />

<br />

Can somebody PLEASE build such a beauty for the iPad as a remote app. for iTunes. !!!!! :-)<br />

<br />

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

I'm a PC guy, but for my listening machine would consider moving to a Mac to keep things easier, but could you use the Dell display and it's multitouch with a Mac Mini to then feed your DAC of choice? Combined with Pure Audio or something else on the Mac side, it seems like you could then have the iTunes interface that everyone knows to make it easier for people, and if you wanted to do the J River interface, just setup Windows on a partition as well. Either way, it looks like something I'd like to try in the future.<br />

<br />

NOTE: I just looked back at the article and noticed there are no Mac drivers. Alas, though I might still try running it on a Mini just to hopefully have the option in the future, and since the Mini is so quiet.

Hi Adam - Right now I have the touchscreen running on another server, not the C.A.P.S. server. I will try it and let you know how it works for me. I also have the Broadcom hardware video decoder I can use in my C.A.P.S. server. I don't know if it will make a different though.<br />

<br />

I'll let you know.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris, nice writing and a nice movie about using JRiver in Theater View.<br />

<br />

As I have already written in some posts, I like JRiver also very much (also on my Mac Book Pro, running Windows 7 via Boot Camp). Using AIFF as listening format, so I can use the identical files for Pure Music (on the Mac side) and JRiver (on the Windows side).<br />

<br />

Everyone has its own habit, how one wants a software to work, but for me, JRiver has so many features that I like, that I didn't find in other high quality sounding apps.<br />

<br />

Sound wise, using the identical hardware for Win 7 and OSX, it plays in the same top rank as Amarra 2 (that I also own) and Pure Music, so I am happy with it.<br />

<br />

Sure, also for my taste, I do like OSX more than Win 7, but with the feature list, that JRiver does offer to me, I am using mainly JRiver, at HiFi shows.<br />

<br />

Juergen

Hans,<br />

There are several ways you can remain on the couch. You could start here:<br />

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Remotes<br />

<br />

MC15's WebRemote uses a browser as the control on the remote PC.<br />

<br />

Tremote lets you run the same interface on your big screen PC and on your remote. It requires more resources on the remote.<br />

<br />

Chris,<br />

We'll take a look at your problem.<br />

<br />

Juergen,<br />

Thanks! Nice to hear.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

I always thought it would be cool to mount such a touchscreen inside a wall, so the screen is flush. Assuming you have drywall or plasterboard you could probably rig up a decent mount. Does the monitor have ventilation areas that must be kept open? Sometimes the drywall may back onto a cupboard, so it's still a possibility.<br />

<br />

That price for the touchscreen is also excellent. I expect it's not so cheap in the UK though!<br />

<br />

Chris, I'm interested as to whether you have compiled a list of Sooloos's excellent metadata facilities? Sounds like you really recommend it.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

Hi IceClass - I've used them and talked about one of them in this article -> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-Audiophile-Pocket-Server-CAPS (toward the bottom)<br />

<br />

I recommend <s>walking</s> running from them as quick as you can if you want a touchscreen monitor for audio playback.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Eww. Thanks for the link and write-up.<br />

<br />

As a long time Mac user I have to register a certain disappointment that Apple haven't given more thought and support to touchscreens in their set-ups.<br />

<br />

I guess I'm going to have to make do with an ipod touch on a stand and as a remote.<br />

<br />

Not quite what I was hoping for.<br />

<br />

Adam - I connected the touchscreen to my C.A.P.S. server and it was pretty ugly. The processor/graphics combo just can't perform fast enough. Browsing the theater view, even with reduced quality graphics, was way to slow. I hoped the JRMC setting for reduced graphic quality in the Theater View settings would help but no luck. The C.A.P.S. machine just won't cut the mustard with this screen :~(

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

I've been reading up on your CAPS lately which I think is a very cleverly designed DIY music server. I'm sorry to hear it won't work well together with a touchscreen, since that would have been my preferred config. <br />

<br />

Now, since the D945GSEJT is a bit underpowered graphics wise, wouldn't the Intel D510MO, also a fanless design from the Intel Essential Series be a good alternative for the CAPS. It builds on the NM10 express chipset which together with the faster Atom D510 should yield better graphics performance.<br />

<br />

I would appreciate your comments on this.<br />

<br />

Regards,<br />

<br />

Simon

Or try a ION based motherboard - then you get nVidia graphics chipset.<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Eloise,<br />

<br />

I didn't look at the ION yet. I'm sure the ION will drive a touchscreen with ease. However (afaik) it requires active cooling.<br />

<br />

Perhaps the ION platform could even turn the CAPS into a nice little video server?<br />

<br />

Zotac.com builds a small and affordable ION barebones system. Found a review here: http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Zotac-ZBox-HDID11-and-Next-Gen-ION/?page=1<br />

<br />

Ciao,<br />

<br />

Simon

There are some passively cooled ION boards. Some of Zotac's single core boards and Asus have passive cooled boards. Alternatively (and for less than the cost of Chris' M10 case) you can look at mCubed / HFX cases with additional passive heatsinks for cooling.<br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have the Asus version of the Intel D510MO: Dual-core Atom 1,6 GHz + Intel 3150 gfx built-in.<br />

<br />

That is the config that is too slow in J River for me :(<br />

<br />

I'm going to to the new Asus ION mobo, with a dual-core Atom 1,8 GHz and an nVidia ION (2) with a dedicated 512 MB Graphics memory.<br />

<br />

According to tests of the ION addon to the pine view platform, performance in games is much better (i.e. 3D graphics will run smoother) and the Microsoft media center (also in 3D) works smoothly.<br />

<br />

So, the question for CAPSv2 is really is the case will hold an Asus AT5IonT-I w/o a fan?

Looking at the specs (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iIZKMXSj0jZKiebE&templete=2) I have to agree, this looks as if it's got the right performance and lives up to the CAPS reguirements. Though the PCIe x4 slot limits its expansion options (i.e. doesn't meet 12).<br />

<br />

01. Absolutely silent.<br />

02. Capable of great sound.<br />

03. Great looking.<br />

04. No moving parts.<br />

05. Fairly inexpensive.<br />

06. No legacy components.<br />

07. Easy to operate.<br />

a.Directly or<br />

b.Remotely<br />

08. Easy to assemble / install<br />

a.Assembly / installation by one's self or<br />

b.Assembly / installation by local computer shop, son, daughter, neighbor, or friend.<br />

09. Small size.<br />

10. Low power consumption.<br />

11. Low heat.<br />

12. Accept an add-in card for audio or additional capabilities. Hardware & Software must accept appropriate add-in cards.<br />

13. Play 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 all bit perfect.