IGNORED

External DAC with Subwoofer Out?

I don't have a subwoofer yet.

I believe if you connect speakers to Subwoofer you'll lose sound quality. It's better to connect directly from the source player (computer or external DAC) to the speakers right?

What's a good external DAC that has Subwoofer Out? Is there one?

I also need good "openness" and wide sound stage unlike the Audioengine D1 I had. It lost air compare to the Macbook DAC.

My budget is $300 at absolute max. $150 preferred... or less.

thanks?

There are three ways you can do this, assuming the subwoofer has each capability:

1. Speaker-level: Connect the sub from the speaker binding posts on your amp. This probably gives the best integration. (This is distinct from using the sub as a crossover. If you aren't opposed to DSP, than this need not be a concern.)

2. Pre-amp in/out: Connect the sub to the variable level RCA out from a pre-amp. (Using a DAC's fixed-level out will mean you can't adjust the volume of the sub. There may be workarounds, but it isn't straightforward.

3. LFE -- used for the *.1 home theatre channel.

Most DACS with volume control (i.e. built in pre-amp) has balanced and unbalanced outputs. So if you use the balanced variable outputs going to your main amplifier you can use the unbalanced variable outputs going to your sub.

Thanks. But all these variable and fixed and LFE thing is confusing me..

My Audioengine D1 DAC only had RCA Out (Left & Right).

I'm not planning to use my audio receiver as I think what I have is junk... I want to use Macbook as a main source.

Doesn't any other DAC offer a line out for Subwoofer as well?

I currently have Audioengine A2 speakers and I want to get a big and bad subwoofer (10" minimum). The subs I have checked out, some have RCA Outs, some have just wire connectors... I don't want to connect my A2 speakers to the sub. I think that will degrade sound quality, no? Can anyone verify this for me? Any insight? Dispute? Objections your honor...

Thanks!!

quote - "'A little known "feature" of the A2 is that you can use one of the inputs as an "output". Just plug your unused "input" from the A2 into the input of your sub.'

This is good to know. I have A2s in my office."

Wow! this is cool! If that can be done, I'm all for it. :-D I would be one happy camper. When you get a chance, can you please test it for me, if possible? I have a BOSE sub but it only accepts wire....

thanks,

If I have a subwoofer of my own, how would I use the A2s with it?

Connect the line-level output from your subwoofer into one of the A2 inputs. Very simple.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Quote - "If I have a subwoofer of my own, how would I use the A2s with it?

Connect the line-level output from your subwoofer into one of the A2 inputs. Very simple."

I read that before. But what we are talking about is connecting the A2 speakers directly to the source (macbook or dac), and then line out from A2 to the sub, not the other way.

subwoofer to the remaining line level input of the A2s.

By the way, you are looking to replace that Bose subwoofer aren't you?

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Thanks for the info, wgscott. That was really important to me.. :) Oh man all I gotta do is purchase a nice subwoofer and hot cable hehe!

jackfish, of course my BOSE sucks. :D That system is in my main entertainment system (HTPC). I will eventually replace the BOSE as well. I would probably get something like Modded version of S30 speakers w/ HSU 12" sub or something.

• 10 years later...

Not much action on this thread over the last 10! years! Ha! I'd like to update the request. My desktop system is changing...

OLD:

USB > ELAC DDP-2 > XLR to ELAC Navis powered speakers and Sub out RCA to ELAC powered sub

CURRENT/TEMPORARY:

USB > MYTEK Liberty > RCA to ELAC Navis powered speakers (Problem: Liberty has no Sub Out)

SEEKING:

USB > NEW DAC > (RCA or XLR to ELAC Navis) & (Sub Out to ELAC Sub)

I need a new desktop DAC w/ a Sub-Out. Suggestions? 

Roon > dCS Bartok > Parasound JC 2BP > Parasound JC 5 > Wilson Yvette

Technics SL-1200G & Bluesound Node > Luxman L-590axII > OJAS Bookshelf w/ Tweeter Horn Mod

4 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Not much action on this thread over the last 10! years! Ha! I'd like to update the request. My desktop system is changing...

OLD:

USB > ELAC DDP-2 > XLR to ELAC Navis powered speakers and Sub out RCA to ELAC powered sub

CURRENT/TEMPORARY:

USB > MYTEK Liberty > RCA to ELAC Navis powered speakers (Problem: Liberty has no Sub Out)

SEEKING:

USB > NEW DAC > (RCA or XLR to ELAC Navis) & (Sub Out to ELAC Sub)

I need a new desktop DAC w/ a Sub-Out. Suggestions? 

This might work, it has two analog outputs. https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/audiosystems/series-200/dac-200-d-a-converter/

No electron left behind.

RME ADI-2 DAC FS has two outputs that can be used for subs. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

• 9 months later...

I swapped the RME ADI Dac FS for the ELAC DDP-2 in the living room, and it now sounds even better on my active ATC speakers.
The DDP-2 looks pretty basic but sounds fantastic to me.
RME is now at PC setup

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone

Auch Dir Frohe Weihnachten, Tom !  🙂

I can't say if the DDP-2 has DLNA/UPNP problems.
I have a roon lifetime subscription and only use it as a roon endpoint.
DDP-2 does that very well as a roon endpoint/player.

tom

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

ELAC DDP-2 as roon endpoint and Preamp (also for analog devices, TV, Omtec turntable amp for my Thorens TD2001)

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre with ADAM Artist5 at PC setup

Grado GH-1 Headphone