IGNORED

Power Cable Question

the two configurations for yourself. Seems simple enough to accomplish and you'll know from your own experience whether one sounds better than or other, or perhaps if it even matters.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Theres two camps (well, at least) amongst audiophile. Source first or speakers first. I guess this question kind of fits into this debate, with amp instead of speakers?

The one which filters the most on the dac and the one which has the largest flow of current on the amp? In theory I guess.

But Im with the others. Try to switch when theyve settled and see what you think

mac mini-audirvana-mytek-ncore, xtz speakers, gallo sub

"not a Zen debate"

you would be a fool, er, friend, to put the lesser one on the DAC ;^)

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

"I don't have the second cable yet and was just asking for a little friendly input, not a Zen debate."

Well, when you've got all the cables, the fact of the situation will still be that only you can decide which configuration of your equipment sounds best to you. What's so zen-like or unfriendly about that?

So the question was as genuine as those asked by Jehova's Witnesses when they make it to my front door?

My (Yiddische) Momma used to eagerly invite the Witnesses in for coffee and have a great time discussing the Bible with them (the Old Testament, which she'd studied in great detail in the original Hebrew, and also the New, which she knew backwards and forwards as well). She'd point out the Jewish antecedents of everything and Jesus' adherence to Jewish ritual throughout his life, then ask (before it became a popular phrase in evangelical culture) the "What would Jesus do?" question, i.e., since God had sent His only begotten son to Earth as a Jew, and he'd spent his life as an adherent of that religion, why, oh why, weren't they doing the same?

I learned as a relatively young child to keep a straight face at the sight of Witnesses bolting from our home as if their heads were on fire, while trying as politely as possible to decline my mother's proferred second cup of coffee in their headlong rush.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

It is that it would depend upon what qualities the cables have and what you might wish to change about your components themselves. I am a source first sort of guy, and think that I would swap the two back and forth between your DAC first and find what you like. Then do the same with the amp. If the same cable is better in both configurations, sell the other one and maybe try a third or buy another of the same one you liked best. Power cables are not easy to predetermine IMO. You may not hear a difference at all with the newest one.

And yes, it does sort of suck swapping them...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Great Story Jud. And thanks for the considered response 4est. I'm new to the power cable game, but must confess to hearing a positive improvement on upgrading my DAC cable. Not just subtle either. I wonder if improvements would extend to a quality cable on a USB to SPDIF converter. Since nothing goes analog until the bits reach the DAC, I kinda doubt it, but it's interesting to speculate.

I wonder if improvements would extend to a quality cable on a USB to SPDIF converter. Since nothing goes analog until the bits reach the DAC, I kinda doubt it, but it's interesting to speculate.

Oh yeah, *there's* something we haven't discussed before [eyeroll].

Lots of threads on it - do a site search and take your pick.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't use a USB cable in my USB to SPDIF set-up.

HiFace product? Halide?

That's pretty intriguing.

What's your DAC and what's your amp?