IGNORED

speakers around 1200 +/-

I had around $1k to spend on speakers and decided to buy the PSB Imagine B speakers. They've been up and running now for a day or two and they sound great. I'd also check out the Ascend Acoustics Sierra monitors: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

interesting currently i have

Foobar2000(Wasapi) > Cambridge Dacmagic > Black Mamba II Interconnect > Yamaha AS-500 > PSB Alpha B1(Sitting on Auralex MOPADs)

love my psb's but want to try another manufactuer, has anyone tried paradigns 20's and dynaudio 2/7 thanks bikemig

I owned a pair of the original Paradigm 20's many years ago and thought they were a great performer and value. I personally don't think the current versions hold up well against similar priced speakers like the Focal Chorus 807V or the Dynaudio. I have seen but not listened to the DM 2/7. I have heard on a couple occassions the DM 3/7 which I liked very much. I currently own Dynaudio but would easily be happy with Focal.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

That's a toughie because at $1200 you will be lured by the very bottom end of the high-end market.

Many speaker companies will offer the bookshelf version of their larger better more expensive speakers in that price range. So, basically, you get a bad value there, but they are new and have a fancy name and story...

Personally, I would go for some older JBL Studio Monitors, like L100, 43xx, etc.

For your price range, you can find them in like-new condition and they will blow away "modern" speakers in that price range.

All said, I know lots of people are not into older stuff and all that comes with it.

Regards,[br]Rob McCance[br]Audiophile, Engineer for Cadence Design Systems, and Founder of Atlanta Real Estate Info[br]Mac Mini w/ Pure Music+iTunes>>Audiophilleo2>>Metrum Octave>>Passive Attenuator>>GFA555II>>JBL6332

I know more about bicycles than I do speakers. That said, one thing I learned in the bike business is the law of diminishing returns. I'd be very surprised if that did not hold true in the hi fi business. So bottom end of the high end is probably a darn good value. I'm certainly more than happy with my new low end bookshelf speakers with a fancy story behind them . . .

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

The bottom end of the very high-end is indeed a place to find value. You can get the technology of the expensive stuff and get much better sound than with the upper end of non-serious best buy type stuff.

My suggestion: look at The Absolute Sound and Stereophile and see what equipment in your price range that they recommend. Decide what might be interesting and then scour audiogon. com for used or demo speakers. Tons of dealers list demos for sale on their websites and you could easily get some 2000$ speakers for 1200$ which will amaze you. For example, I just bought dealer demo close-out Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors for 40% off list with full warranty. Finally, it is best to buy popular well-known brands so that you can resell, get repair parts if ever needed, etc. . For example, Sonus Faber, B and W. If you have only 1200$ to spend, I would strongly advise against paying full price. If you are nervous about buying used from an individual then watch and wait and buy from an established dealer selling a demo.

Further advice: Buy monitor speakers rather than full range . Why? Because the 2000$ monitor (that buy as a 1200$ demo) is the top half of a 4000$ speaker, so to speak, and you will lose some bass but that may not be too big of a deal unless you really want banging rock or orchestral depth. But the advantage is that the Sound Quality you get will be way, way better than with a $2000 full range speaker. Which means it will be more "revealing" among other things, which means all your computer tinkering will result in audible nuances!

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sierras are nice but depending on your room size they may project small. I had some for the 30 day trial and ended up sending them back. I always needed to turn them up more than I wanted trying to get the full sound out of them. Beautiful fit and finish though.

I would look at Tyler Accoustics, there is a used pair of D3M's on Audiogon for around your price range and they are awesome speakers. Can't wrong. He uses quality parts and they sound great IMO.

Cheers.

Check out Steve's Monitor 3 and his new Monitor 2. I have the 3's as secondary speakers in living room and am very impressed (see review in Stereophile). He just finished design on the 2's and says while they do not go as deep as the 3's (for a monitor they produce bass close to a floorstander) they are even better in the mids and highs. He uses some pretty expensive drivers - just the tweeters on the 2's run $300/pair - and he sells them for under $900. The 3's can probably be had for around $1,500 (retail $1,8000-2,100 depending on internal wiring, crossovers etc. used) with a little negotiation. Give him a call - he offers 30 day money back I think so not much to lose.

Having never had the opportunity to listen to the Zu's I cannot comment on them. However, I use a 45 SET amp with 2.5 amps per channel and the Zu Essence Bookshelf is on my short list if I every change from my Tyler Acoustic Lynnbrook Signature Monitors.

Youreaway:

I don't mean to hijack this post. But could you tell what amp you run with your Zu Omen

I have heard a lot of great things about Zu's. I just purchased some of their Wylde connectors.

@ Niner

I just recently paired it with the Wyred 4 Sound mINT using Paul's Anti-Cables.

First impressions are fast. Great bass. And crystal clear throughout the range. Transparent. I almost want to say 'crisp'(NOT bright), but really I think the best word for this rig is 'fast'. I am still getting to know this combo tho...

Prior to that was the Outlaw RR2150

The Zus are amazing. Incredible value, IMO

I've not heard the Soul Superfly, but they say they made it for a SET amp... it's twice the price of the Omens tho... however, they would probably pair quite nicely with your kit.

http://zuaudio.com/#soul-superfly-loudspeaker.php

Let me know if I can provide any more info-

Cheers.

Those speakers are beautiful and at 101db efficiency my amp would love them. Unfortunately I need monitors due to space limitations.

I prefer a warmer sound, just the slightest bit of brightness has me running for the door. So I was not sure about the Zu's when they talk about their tweeter providing "acoustic sparkle" on their website.

Did you notice a difference with the anti cables? I always wondered about those.

and "bright" is not a word I would use to describe them. The Essence has the Tang-Band high efficiency ribbon tweeter and all I would use to describe the sound is "natural" I hope you can find a dealer to give the speakers a listen, they really are special.

I drive mine with a 40 watt Cary SLI-80 F1 wired for Triode only and they sound fabulous!

No electron left behind.

Niner

If your amp would love them, and at over just a square foot footprint, I'd find room for them...

Now you got me thinking of building a SET kit with a pair of Superflys. (Superflies?). Time to start researching SET amps... Thanks a lot Niner!

As for the Anti-cables, one word. Transparent. I've certainly haven't listened to every cable out there, but a few- And for the dollar, I know of none better. Plus, Paul is a great guy to work with. He custom built and shipped a set of speaker cables for my girlfriend on the morning he was leaving for vacation. Fantastic service. I'm thinking of ordering his (secret) SPDIF cable and giving it a go.

@ AudioDoctor

I would love to hear that ribbon tweeter and the Essence.

@ OP

Terribly sorry for the threadjack. I stand buy my recommendation tho. You won't be sorry with the Zu Omen, regardless of your listening library.

• 5 months later...

Are you still enjoying the mINT? You don't need all it's power and I wonder how it sounds only using a watt or 2? Do you just listen to music and enjoy it, or do you wonder how an SET would drive the Zus? Bottom line, does the mINT get out of the way and let the music move you? Have you made any cabling changes?

@ Niner

I just recently paired it with the Wyred 4 Sound mINT using Paul's Anti-Cables.

First impressions are fast. Great bass. And crystal clear throughout the range. Transparent. I almost want to say 'crisp'(NOT bright), but really I think the best word for this rig is 'fast'. I am still getting to know this combo tho...

Prior to that was the Outlaw RR2150

The Zus are amazing. Incredible value, IMO

I've not heard the Soul Superfly, but they say they made it for a SET amp... it's twice the price of the Omens tho... however, they would probably pair quite nicely with your kit.

Zu Audio | A Revolution in American HiFi

Let me know if I can provide any more info-

Cheers.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

• 3 weeks later...

Tekton Design. That's what I'd go with-- say, the Lores or Lore S. Simply an outstandingly musical product that doesnt sound like 'hi fi.' Really easy to drive and very tonally 'balanced.' Plus-- 30 day return policy if ya hate em. Many years at this and that's where I'm settling. Okay-- for now:)