IGNORED

Tip on how to read CA posts so they are easier to read on ipads, etc and so you see all updates

ted_b

Chris,

feel free to delete this if you think it is redundant to your FAQs, etc but I've noticed lately that several questions are being asked where answers clearly exist in the same thread, but possibly not in the same chain (thread list). Also, when using portable device like an ipad, the longer threads tend to be a PITA to view since one might need to scroll down only to find the updates and new posts are on a second or third page, etc.

I fixed both issues with one fell swoop (but created a small issue which I'll mention).

At the bottom of a thread there is a "comment view" set of instructions. I have them set to the following:

comment view.jpg

This allows me to not have to scroll much (for example, if the active topic log on the right side of the screen shows I have 4 new posts on the "mytek 192" thread" I go there and know that the new posts are all in red and are simply four down from the top. On the ipad it is perfect, and I like it universally on my desktop, etc.

The only problem it creates is that I can no longer automatically tell which response is for which post (i.e threaded groups are gone). But it becomes pretty obvious once you read them. Also, make sure you respond to the actual post, not just always add a response to the main OP post (which is a temptation cuz you're always near the top).

Shoot holes in this process, but for me it makes it virtually impossible to miss some great new response without having to follow every darn subthread. And keeps all scrolling to a minimum.

Maybe this is too obvious. If so....tell me to get a life and I'll take it like a man, er, audiophile. :)

I use the Flat-Expanded view, but with the oldest first. From the main forum view, I click on the "link" that takes you straight to the new postings - that way, I don't ever have to scroll, but the posts are always in order from top > bottom.

I've found that any of the Threaded views eventually start running off the right side of my screen (e.g., the paragraphs get so narrow they are no longer visible at all), so I had to discard that option.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I use exactly the same method, and I tend to scan the new posts from e-mail first. The e-mail links take you right to the post you are interested in, and you can scroll up from there.

Once you visit a thread of course, all the messages in are marked as read, or at least, are no longer marked in red!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Latitude - Great suggestion again. The issue is CA runs on software called Drupal. As far as I know there isn't any good mobile browsing option like TapTalk that works with Drupal yet. Fortunately Drupal is open source and TapTalk capability could be right around the corner.

Thanks again!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png