IGNORED

J-River question

James1776

Has anyone else seen this problem. I find that when I open the program the Audio Output function is locked on 'kernel streaming' with all the normal options disabled?

I am on a Window 7 machine and have had this problem with both v16 and v17 of J-river software. If someone knows how to enable the normal drop down menu from audio output, PLEASE tell me. The only times I can get the program to work are after program updates and then only till I close and try to reopen the program.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

As no one seems to know why this is happening, I will ask about until someone has a eureka moment. I figure there are thousands of folk out there with this software so someone must have seen the same problem.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Yes, that is nice, but WHY??? It works on my vista machine, it worked on my XP machine but it most assuredly does not work on windows 7...

What do I need to turn on or off?

After maybe a dozen suggestions from the J-River folk and readers on their forum, I reloaded v17 and all works. Better yet, I have closed and opened the program 3 times including a reboot and it still works. I wish I could say exactly what did the trick but I did so many things that I have no idea what fixed it.

{edit}..Today the program worked perfectly until I did a registry repair using a program called RegClean pro. Then MC locked on Kernel Streaming and I had to reload v17 to fix the problem. There appears to be a fundamental conflict between the two programs.

seems like a OS setting issues to me, I had something similar, but a reinstall of the JMRC fixed it.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Registry cleaners create horror stories. Never use them. The safest registry cleaner I used before is "Raxco's PerfectSpeed Optimizer. Raxco has a separate registry cleaner called PerfectRegistry, DON'T use it. Also don't use CCleaner Both will screw things up. These cleaners are known to delete product keys on some software Applications. They render features useless. If your computer is slow then get a faster HDD and more memory. Better yet get a SSD for your OS location and a HDD for your storage folder. You can move your Windows account folders to any other fixed storage device. Also remember to defrag your Mechanical HDD (not SSD) regularly. I use Raxco's Perfect disk. You can use any advanced defrag app. Hope this helps.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit proudly[br]32 Inch Samsung LED TV[br]western digital 64GB SSD[br]Western Digital Black 500GB HDD[br]Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 nVidia Graphics Card[br]Intel Core i7 2.8Ghz[br]Corsair Dominator 12gig of RAM (Low Latency 7-7-7-20)[br]Asus x58 WS Supercomputer motherboard[br]Asus Xonar Essence STX Audiophile PCI-E sound card[br]Antec P180 Case[br]Corsair TX750M — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified 750 Watt Power Supply[br]Netgear WNDR4500 (n900) Wireless Router [br]J.River Media Center set in ASIO Mode [br]Rotel 90 Watt Integrated Amp.[br]Hospital Grade Isolated Ground 20 Amp AC receptacles[br]Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers[br]TaraLabs cables throughout the system

Do you also use a registry cleaner?

Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit proudly[br]32 Inch Samsung LED TV[br]western digital 64GB SSD[br]Western Digital Black 500GB HDD[br]Asus ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 nVidia Graphics Card[br]Intel Core i7 2.8Ghz[br]Corsair Dominator 12gig of RAM (Low Latency 7-7-7-20)[br]Asus x58 WS Supercomputer motherboard[br]Asus Xonar Essence STX Audiophile PCI-E sound card[br]Antec P180 Case[br]Corsair TX750M — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified 750 Watt Power Supply[br]Netgear WNDR4500 (n900) Wireless Router [br]J.River Media Center set in ASIO Mode [br]Rotel 90 Watt Integrated Amp.[br]Hospital Grade Isolated Ground 20 Amp AC receptacles[br]Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers[br]TaraLabs cables throughout the system

• 2 weeks later...

I resolved my not playing at all (kernel streaming locked in place) when I stopped using registry cleaning software and reloaded MC...suddenly I had options BUT my new Toshiba laptop would only produce music when WAV was selected as an output. My wife gave me a Nuforce headphone/USB 24/96 DAC for Christmas. When plugged in the DAC opened up the universe of output selections in MC and sounds great...really much better than the PC's internal DAC, which I suspect had been down converting my Hi-Rez files as today they sound WAY better than they did through the laptops DAC.

So, Merry Christmas to all!

The Computer Audiophile>"... I'll get in touch with the J River guys. ..."

A regular TAG TEAM?

Do you guys share any common financial interests?

Nothing wrong with that, but if you do, I would think, you might want to reveal that here.

My tests clearly show mediamonkey is better than JRiver.

The best players use integer playback from memory.

JRiver does not use integer playback.

For the real TRUTH for how these things work, click here:

Be quick, because the pretenders to embrace truth, justice, and the American way, really just embrace 'quick deletion' of other's truthful ideas and experience.

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own.

The best way to fight this kind of censorship is to NEVER pay a dollar to JRiver, Computeraudiophile, AVSForum, or their sponsors. Open your eyes, as well as your ears!!!

"My tests clearly show mediamonkey is better than JRiver."

In your system. Your opinion.

In my system, MediaMonkey was inferior to J River MC (although was close).

"The best players use integer playback from memory."

This is by no means accepted fact, but is rather hotly debated.

As would would be aware, J River does support memory playback but not integer playback.

As you would also be aware, a large number of DACs do not support integer playback - including my own Wyred-4-Sound DAC2 which sounds lovely with its "clearly inferior" non-integer playback.

"... the pretenders to embrace truth, justice, and the American way, really just embrace 'quick deletion' of other's truthful ideas and experience."

Bizarre.

**** memo to self: Do Not Feed The Trolls *****

Am off now to find some aluminium foil to make a hat... damn aliens.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

>"... In your system. Your opinion..."

Agreed.

BUT it is FACT that those who will delete the opinions of others rather than posting their own do a disservice to most well meaning people who post to forums like this.

iq100

I tried Media Monkey for 2 years until I discovered MC. On my system, an ancient XP desktop, Media Monkey never sounded any better than iTunes AND, I found it very hard to use...It got into the habit of rearranging all my files randomly on reboot, amongst other 'quirks'...

It might be one heck of a program for some but I removed it, every file and trace without a backward glance.

Hey buddy - free speech does not mean you have the right to force your opinions on people who do not wish to listen to them, on systems you do not pay for, and to satisfy your own ego.

Also, I have a feeling that Chris is very good at tracking down people who use multiple IDs in an attempts to do so.

-Paul

Note to self: don't feed the trolls, don't feed the trolls, don't feed the trolls....

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I do not have the same problem with a different registry cleaner on my Vista machine with MC 16...Just with RegClean on my Win 7 machine..So, the answer is to not run RegClean...

One of the reasons I like MC is that the software simply works out of the box 90% of the time. I am now asking questions that are pretty trivial in the big scheme of things.

Paul.Raulerson>"... Chris is very good at tracking down people who use multiple IDs in an attempts to do so. ..."

Nothing to track down.

He only needs to respond to the (unanswered) email(s) I previously sent.

I once had a couple of Magnepan's. Great speakers. I only sold them because did not have the time to rebuild them. I miss them and the honest sound they made.

iq100