IGNORED

iTunes 10.5 Now Available for Download

Akapod

What's new in iTunes 10.5

iTunes in the Cloud. iTunes now stores your music and TV purchases in iCloud and makes them available on your devices anywhere, any time, at no additional cost.

Automatic Downloads. Purchase music from any device or computer and automatically download a copy to your Mac and iOS devices.

Download Previous Purchases. Download your past music, TV, app, and book purchases again, at no additional cost. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer on the iTunes Store.

Sync with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 5.

Wi-Fi Syncing. Automatically sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes any time they're both on the same Wi-Fi network.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have to say, after having been used to the superb sound quality of Bit Perfect, and Audirvana over the past year, I wasn't expecting much from yet another iteration of iTunes.

However this evening I downloaded the new iTunes 10.5, and decided to give it a whirl 'on its own' as it were. I have to say I was highly impressed. I don't know if it's the change to 10.5, or my recent switch to Lion, or Lion in tandem with the new 10.5 iTunes in 64-bit mode, but I am not embarrassed to say I am REALLY enjoying what I'm hearing. Nice, full bodied and organic sounding music. Plenty of detail, but natural - not thrown out at you. Great separation of instruments & details. It all sounds coherent too. Not electronic sounding or hard edged. Impressive dynamics too.

I know it's not fashionable to admit liking an 'out of the box' piece of software - esp. iTunes! - without at least a few mods applied to garner those Audiophile Credentials, but I have to say I am highly impressed indeed. Listening via headphones now (it's late) and still just as impressed! One can really hear 'into' the music now - if that makes sense? It's really enveloping & involving.

I'd be interested to see what other people honestly hear with this new revision. So have I got cloth ears? Is my system not revealing enough? Do I need to hand back my audiophile credentials now? Haha! I'd love to hear other people's experiences using 10.5 :)

Very happy camper indeed and don't feel the burning need to fire up any add-on programs for now, as I did in the past.

Very well done, Apple!

- John

27" iMac Retina 32 GB RAM / iTunes / Audirvana / Chord Mojo / Revox A77 mk.4 / Garrard 301 SME 309 / Naim Nac 12 & Nap 160 / Quad 34 & 606 / Mission M72 speakers.

As a happy BitPerfect user, I logged on just now expressly to see whether there were any issues with the new version of iTunes released today. I'm glad to see that there seems to be none!

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I have run into a minor glitch that might be specific to my use. I use the Column Browser at the top of the screen. I use the Artist and Album Title for doing searches for doing tag updates (artwork, comments, etc). I type in the first letter of the title I am looking for (just now John Lee Hooker) hit enter and iTunes takes me to the first ‘J’ under artist. I then use my trackpad to scroll to the specific artist. Now however when I attempt to scroll with the trackpad it returns immediately to the beginning of the list, to the ‘A’s’. Only by using the up and down arrows without the trackpad will it properly move to the correct title.

I maintain a small ‘test’ library on my iMac which I also use the trackpad and it does the same thing on the iMac as I am experiencing on the main library on my Mac Mini.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I made the leap and upgraded my other system to Lion which, due to the iOS 5 upgrade, is now at 10.7.2. Pure Music is working fine, with one exception.

Playback of internet radio does not work via the pad (which allowed up sampling, and made internet radio sound pretty good). Playback does work, however, through the designated sound output (e.g., your DAC).

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone upgraded to the latest iTunes version running Amarra 2.3.2? Any issues? E-mail from Amarra stated that they had not worked on the new version as it was released just as the RMAF was beginning.

Update: I haven't heard any feedback on 10.5 & Amarra 2.3.2.xxx from the forum but did receive a response from Amarra that there have not been any issues specific to this version of iTunes. As many probably have heard or read there is a 2.3.3 version due out the 15th addressing bugs et al.

thanks

Francisco

I dutifully backed up my Dell PC hard drive with a ClickFree automatic backup portable drive. I then had to wipe my Dell's drive and start over. After reloading my programs, specifically the latest iTunes 10.5, I connected my ClickFree to restore all my data. Here's the problem: iTunes now says I only have a few gigs of songs when the truth is that I had nearly 80 gigs of songs. Not only is music missing but all my playlists, etc. are missing. (Everything else on the ClickFree transferred fine.)

My iPod Classic, thankfully, has all my music intact. My question: How can I transfer my iPod collection back to my computer HD when I sync, rather than have my computer overwrite the iPod's HD with the shrunken collection now on the PC HD? I trust you understand how infuriating it would be if I have to re-rip all that music..... Thanks for the help!

Appreciate the reply. But help me out here, folks. The above link says I'd need to pay $28 to restore my PC iTunes from my iPod's HD even though I just shelled out $$$ on a backup drive in the first place.

To be clear, my backup drive did in fact copy everything--I even restored my Favorites in Internet Explorer, so everything was copied. It's just iTunes that suddenly doesn't find my (music) files. Is it really the case that I won't be able to restore my music from my backup drive without paying for some sort of 3rd party program? Is there a freeware utility that does the job? Or is there some sort of simple iTunes command I'm missing that can retrieve my music? Yes, I'm a computerphobic newbie....

If all your music files are on the hdd where you want them, hold down shift (ot the mac equivalent) when opening itunes and pick choose library. Then navigate to your back up itunes library .itl or xml files. Should restore everything.

Todd

Win7 64bit / iTunes / Xonar ST / Behringer DEQ2496 / Wyred4Sound DAC-2 / Wyred STP-SE preamp / dbx 233XL / 4 Outlaw m200 monoblocks / DIY active GR Research LS9\'s / Quad 15 inch subwoofers

As above you can direct the computer to your files on the HDD, but I thought your question was "How can I transfer my iPod collection back to my computer HD when I sync, rather than have my computer overwrite the iPod's HD with the shrunken collection now on the PC HD? "In that case you do need a third party application. I did come across a free-ware application on search but can't remember the name.

thanks

Francisco

All I know is that, since upgrading to 10.5, my Amarra Junior has had no real problems. Hope that helps. :)

There's an upgrade available for Amarra too, 2.2 to 2.3, and they said it was free for those registered, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it from the site. Beats me how the 2.3 would be handled by iTunes now, or vice versa. Regardless I'm considering just upgrading to Mini or better anyway.

I've been on the road the last few days; thanks for the help.

OK, I see the 80GB of data in the "Music" folder on my HD, under "iTunes Media". I held down the Shift key when opening iTunes and the dialog box popped up as predicted. It says I need to choose a library. I navigate to the "iTunes Media" folder, click open, and then it takes me one level deeper to the "Music" folder. I think click open...and it keeps taking me deeper into the folder structure but iTunes doesn't actually do anything. I get to a list of folders showing all my albums individually as folders.

I'm a newbie here so I'm clearly missing some sort of command to tell iTunes to actually grab the library. Thanks.

So if you don't see the library file with your music, it will be located in a folder with all the other user data on your machine.

from the apple knowledge base:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364

Tip: In Windows Vista and Windows 7, click the triangles next to the folders and drives to navigate. In Windows Vista, the default location is: usernameMusiciTunes. In Windows 7, the default location is: usernameMy MusiciTunes.

In Windows XP and Windows 2000, click the plus signs next to the folders and drives to navigate. The default location is Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsMy MusiciTunes.

Navigating to one of these folder locations should allow you to find and open the .itl or .xml iTunes library file.

as long as the files are all where they once were, the library should instantly be back to how you remember it.

if you get a large number of exclamation points, it means the files are not where they were when the library was last functioning.

let me know how the procedure goes, and if we need to do any other tweaking with the files.

todd

Win7 64bit / iTunes / Xonar ST / Behringer DEQ2496 / Wyred4Sound DAC-2 / Wyred STP-SE preamp / dbx 233XL / 4 Outlaw m200 monoblocks / DIY active GR Research LS9\'s / Quad 15 inch subwoofers

Ok, I went to the link at Apple Knowledge Base you listed above. Then I followed the directions. The result I keep getting is simply the computer copying the severely shrunken collection to a new folder on my PC (i.e., 4GB instead of 60GB! When I get to step #6, I click New Folder and make a new folder called "New iPod". Everything tracks the directions until step 10. I get a dialog box not mentioned in the directons: "Would you like to move and rename the files in your new iTunes Media folder to match the 'Keep iTunes Media folder organized' preference?" I tried clicking Yes, then click "OK" to consolidate the files. (I also later tried clicking No, then consolidating the files, with the same result.) In step 11, I'm not clear on which folder I'm supposed to delete to the recycle bin. Again, my 60GB worth of files shows up when I highlight Libraries>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music folder. That's where (I think) my music is. I'm still confused. Any help would be appreciated.

If you can see the files in the operating system file structure, you can go to the itunes menu

File->add folder to library

Then consolidate to have itunes put everything in order

This should add all your files to the library.

Todd