http://www.spotify.com/us/about/what/

every single cloud/streaming service has just been outdated.

I am listening to it now, and have not been able to find an album it has not got. Also, I can choose what I want to listen to, unlike Pandora that plays whatever non-sensical crap that has nothing to do with the artists I like it can come up with.

Within a half hour of getting my invite and listening, I paid for the service, it is that good. Is it audiophile hi res 24/192 quality? No, and it isn't supposed to be.

edit: It plays through the Logitech and Sonos devices.

welcome to the new paradigm.

edit: Currently listening to Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster.

No electron left behind.

We've had Spotify in the UK for a while now and it is a fantastic way to explore artists and albums before committing to CD or download purchases. As you said, not audiophile sound quality, but way better than 99% of streamed music and internet radio, in my experience.

I'm excited about checking out spotify because it does have a huge library. I thought it did work with squeezebox, though. That's why I decided not to go with MOG since their website made it pretty clear that they were not interested in having their website work with squeezebox. But I've read some material about Spotify suggesting that it does. So please let us know if you get that fixed or not.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I may have missed something, if I work it out, or find some new data, I will share.

edit, it appears it can be played through the squeezebox as long as you have the premium service. I do, so I am golden. Going to get it working now.

No electron left behind.

Looks like a sweet operation, and I'm interested in trying it out. Waiting for the/an invite to get started. What a potentially excellent way to discover new and different artists.

Thanks for sharing.

@AudioDoctor - how long was the wait to get the invite from Spotify?

And, can I use iTunes or Amarra or something to integrate it into my current setup? And moreover, how can I stream it to existing Airport Express or Apple TV locations?

I almost pulled the trigger on it last night, but figured I didn't want to add any software onto the music server without thinking about it more first. Especially since I just had to rebuild the MacBook music server when it lost its internal disk. Amarra sound great on the rebuilt system though. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

No support for AIFF or WAV???

I'll still have to check it out. Looks like the best competitor to iTunes for non-Apple-ecosystem users. Has some stuff I wish iTunes had as well.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

First, Spotify is it's own app, I do not think it can be played through iTunes and Amarra. Pure Music does have a play through feature, but it is a wee bit buggy at the moment.

The premium service at $10 a month streams at 320kbps.

Have you tried using Airfoil to stream Spotify to your Airport Express? I may try that later just as a proof of concept. With the premium service, it will stream through a Sonos or a Squeezebox device however.

No electron left behind.

But it kinda defeats the remote control bit. ;)

I suppose I could setup a Squeezbox client on an old Mac Mini or something.

Still, seems a bit annoying.

Feature request for PM, Amarra, and J. River MC - add Spotify as a source. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

...high end players such as Decibel, Amarra, PM, etc. It will however play from your music collection and pull from your iTunes playlists. It's essentially a jukebox with a 15 million track library. It's great for someone like me who wants to check out artists, genres, and songs that I don't own or necessarily have access to without purchasing. Similar to Pandora, but much more refined for the user. I haven't had time to check out the specifics yet as I'm at work, but I think AudioDoctor had mentioned 320 kbps streams.

Here's where I got my invite. The free account waiting list from the main request page appears to be rather long, so I poked around this morning and found this request page: http://www.spotify.com/us/aplusk/

I was able to submit my email and receive an invite within minutes! I'm not sure if it'll still process your request as quickly anymore or if it still has available accounts to give out, but give it a shot if you're interested.

Anyway, good luck.

Did you sign up for the MOG version that has the iphone capability? ($9.99/Month plan.)

I never liked MOG when I only had it on my mac, but the version that works on the iphone is great. You just click on an album to download it to your iphone (as a 320kbs file, if you've enabled that option).

This is also a good thing if you want to put compressed files on your iphone and don't want to hassle with two itunes libraries (all the files on my mac are aiff).

I was originally excited for Spotify to get to US, but now that I've been living with these features on MOG, have no interest in switching over. Spotify doesn't seem to have these features, which is why I haven't signed up.