If you are in the mood for some daredevil playing of fiendishly difficult music that is very well recorded, then this ought to do it!

61qS9wKdgLL.jpg

51vdc4r63WL.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

8 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Deeply impressed by Artur Pizarro renditions of Beethoven Concertos. Couldn't tell how many interpretations of this music I heard, still was pleasantly surprised with this recordings from Portuguese pianist, who brought something very solid, calm and balanced into his readings.

ap.jpg

I haven't heard that particular recording, but I can't say that I'm a fan of his Beethoven late Sonatas, also on Linn. Parts just lack intensity where required, and that elusive "transcendent" quality that I hear in Arrau, Guy, Gilels, Lewis, and Korstick.

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Well, I tried to listen to this, but I had to turn it off! His Greg Smallman guitar, which in my mind is already problematic, sounds like the world's tinniest banjo! I'm not sure how the engineer achieved such horrible sound. A pity since the playing is good. Now, to be fair, this is a low-resolution MP3 (111 mbps instead of the normal 320 mbps, which is bad enough!), so that might affect the sound, but probably not to such a degree as to render it unlistenable. I suppose I shouldn't complain since it was free, though.

3610150691613_230.jpg

Not for the faint of heart...most of the pieces are quite modern. He attacks his guitar with abandon and ferocious intensity, a refreshing change from those who tip toe through music! Excellent sound.

71AS2PdNXrL._SL500_.jpg

61C%2BCJdcEvL._SL500_.jpg

The title is a bit of misnomer since only two of the pieces are chaconnes, but it's a wonderful recording, full of virtuoso playing and fine musicianship. The sound is good if a bit distant/reverberant.

51im8v5pnzL._SS500.jpg

51BbWLElP5L.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This new recording by the San Francisco Symphony conducted by MTT is available only as a digital download. I opted for the 24 bit/192k version--sounds superb and is very well performed.

4455-17_digital_SFSMedia_Berg?width=690&

16 hours ago, BacHolz said:

Thanks for posting, I have this on a wish list. How is the video content on the DVD/Blu-ray discs?

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. To be honest, I forgot that there is actual concert footage, not just the Quartets in Blu-ray audio! 

Transcriptions of lute, keyboard works (WTC, Inventions, French Suite No.2), and Concerto for 2 Violins BWV 1054 (joined by a string quartet). Brilliant playing--pretty good sound.

51aJ1NsTMhL._SS500.jpg