You'll know the bug has firmly bit when you find yourself owning a lengthy work set to disc with a sequential mono recording split between both channels.  Mute the left speaker the first play through and pick right back up by replaying the disc with your right speaker muted.  

Yes, I did enjoy it.  I especially enjoyed having the ability to listen to works like this.  Chances to hear it live being almost zero (or at least half a continent distant and most likely an ocean).    Finding a copy of what I take to be the only recording of the 3rd was just added to my list of things to do this Winter.  

3 hours ago, Booster MPS said:

I am a fan of Marianne, how is this release?

This is a tough question.  If the political tones it is currently fashionable for musicians to openly display put you off it would be not so good.  Mr. Say plays as if he is an aging and not so distractingly attractive man in the presence of a vital young woman.  She gets the benefit of his experience leaving a quiet sadness in the air unexpressed.  

Perhaps I will play this for a woman and get her impression.  My suspicion is it will result in 'a soft hand but an unsuitable one... he is clearly quite happy with the arrangement.'  All of which gets rent.  Leaving the emptiness of a inner city space with too many memories awaiting the next occupant. 

Quite literally that is how the release goes.  Being a fan, everything that came before it should be pleasing to you.

MI0001015893.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Also picked up this oddball that was obviously repackaged for a Japanese budget release.  Market saturation of the work aside.  This is exactly the type of good quality recording by lesser known musicians I hope to find.  The thrice subjugation of Bach into a paisley jacket does throw question marks into the performance.   

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos 1-3

English Chamber Orchestra lead by Philip Ledger

47c3828fd7a02608c6f01110.L.jpg

It must have been Baaaaah'd or we'd have links to your previous reviewa and initial impressions of this recording. :)    The quite old Sargent is in my queue for this week.    

Yet to hear any of the new Sears Roebuck & Company catalog festooned BIS Neschling release.  I'm quite sure it will make as solid an argument for dynamic ranges as the other four in this cycle.  

4947401-origpic-76a287.jpg

Good on you for managing to take in a play and avoid the holiday crowds.  I'm still recovering from a family Christmas pantomime that took place in a local brewery.  Which I was held hostage to while waiting on line to secure a necessary gift.  

Fantasiestücke (Fantasy Pieces)

MI0002845344.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Minnesota has more than a few renowned torchbearers of the vocal tradition.  Come Christmas the only two that matter are the St Olaf college choir and Dale Warland Singers.  Those wishing to sample the former can replay the live broadcast of this years concert series here or attend Christmas Mass.  The latter on an original Schubert Club release from 1987 (not matching the pictured album art of the reissue) was my choice for today.

1164257.jpg

I'm quite sure you found my posted album on AllMusic (where short samples of all the tracks are available).  If you wish, a full performance of Paulus works written for seasonal performance by this group can be found again on MPR.

Stepping away from holiday specificity towards more general holidaying.  Don't blame me if you recoil from the first track or quickly forget that it happened.  Almost certainly due to this start every note of music following pulls you in and up.

mbid-fdd4fa35-b05c-4b9f-adde-1bf9de5c350

A single unedited live performance committed to disc for release has a nice ring to it, I feel.  No splicing or phantom instruments (:mad: still a bit red faced over that one) to disrupt natural enjoyment of the music.  Or so one would hope.

Cover_LSO0295_LSO0795_3000px_1024x1024.j

Speaking of shame faced admissions.  A  good used copy of Ketelbey's "In a Monastery Garden"  has evaded me.  I'm not happy about partaking of "Ambrosian" anything.  There were moments of regret involved with listening to what is otherwise very fine music on this album as well.

ketpm_fr.jpeg

Since you specifically posted the duet on your blog.  I have to ask if you have listened to the Crebassa album I posted recently?  That blog post also highlighted something I had wondered after.  How far into the under performed works many of you delve.  Koechlin deserves more popularity for works such as "The Jungle Book".  

My first album listen on Tidal.  The alternative, four hours of solo flute music composed by him, was not appetizing this morning.  This was an excellent choice for predawn coffee underneath a thick blanket on a -20 F morning.

MI0001157887.jpg?partner=allrovi.com