IGNORED

Do all DACs upsample

Gday

Hoping to get some advice. I have read so many DAC specs that I think I have confused myself! (not hard to do)

My mp3 collection is 16/44. I am not a purist and i would simply like to improve the sound. Upsampling (24/96 or 24/192) seems to me to be a way forward here but it is hard to tell which DACs actually do this and which ones just take in a digital signal and convert to analogue audio (no upsampling).

Is there any easy way to be able to distinguish here when comparing different kit?

Feel free to also suggest that upsampling is not something I should be focused on bearing in mind that I will not be upgrading my mp3 collection.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

Some people love it, as up-sampling in a DAC can give the sound a smooth liquid sound that is very comfortable, as well as detailed and revealing.

Other folks prefer the NOS sound, which is, if anything, sometimes described as more analog - whatever that may actually mean.

In point of fact, a good DAC will make the music sound better in most cases, whether it over/up/re samples or not. (grin)

You said "MP3" when you referred to your music files, but also 16/44.1, which would suggest a lossless format. What exact format are your files stored in?

Also, what kind of budget is comfortable for you in regards to a DAC? Budget is far more limiting than anything else, sans a very low bitrate "lossey" audio file. (Can't do a whole lot with 128kbs MP3s - can do a lot with ALAC or FLAC lossless rips from CDs. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ok thanks Paul. Happy to spend circa $500 on DAC.

All mp3s are 256 to 320 kbs some 192.

Some CDs but most purchased online so ripping may happen on some tracks this century. ;-)

Cheers

David, the music is on an intel mac and looking for something to plug it into to sound better. My thoughts are on buying a better amp and speakers but reading the forums seems to suggest that what goes between an amp and your computer is pretty important e.g. DAC and connection type.

Cheers

The 320kbs MP3s will sound pretty good, but the better the system you play them on, the less happy you are going to be with the lower bit rate files. They will sound good still, but you will be quite able to notice the difference between them and the better quality music files. :)

As suggested, re-rip any of your CD's you can into a lossless format - ALAC or AIFF works great on a Mac.

In terms of DACs, something like a DACMagic or Arcam rDAC will make a difference in the way they sound, for the better I mean. How much difference really depends upon what your other equipment is I am afraid.

Everything seems to be interconnected with Audio, which can be a bit frustrating.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I don't know how much the Rubby costs, but there are some things about it that give me pause. I think that the best low-cost DAC for computers are the HRT Streamers:

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/products/

Be sure to get the "II" series, as they feature an asynchronous USB connection (not asynchronous sample rate conversion). The cheapest one is only something like $150. If you get that and buy CD's instead of purchasing lossy files, you are well on your way to getting great sound.

Then I would buy a used amp and used speakers. For speakers, it is hard to go wrong with Paradigm or PSB. The British tend to make nice lower powered integrated amps. (Some of the newer ones are made in China.) Here is an example of something that would probably surprise you with its good sound:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?intatran&1311180313

Good luck!

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

You said "MP3" when you referred to your music files, but also 16/44.1, which would suggest a lossless format. What exact format are your files stored in?

MP3 *is* 16/44.1 (once it's decoded).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Hi Peter, yes far as I know it is all of those things according to what I see in iTunes. Mainly 256 and 320 kb files. I thinkwe established that a should re-rip what CDs I have as a part solution.

Cheers all!

Hi Barito. I've been listening to my MacBook for the last week on a Rega dac the dealer loaned to me. I will probably buy it.

I have a very expensive CD player in my main system (Naim CDX2/Nait/Credos). The Mac/Rega combo wasn't as good, compared to the CDX2. In my second (den) system, I compared the Mac/Rega dac with my Naim CD5i CD player (through Technics=>Naim Intros). The Mac/Rega combo sounds as good as, if not better than the excellent Naim CD5i player.

I wanted a better dac than what is contained inside my MacBook, and got it in spades. I can't stop listening, in fact. Very 'musical'. My mp3's are sounding amazing, without any changes to them.

I'm using iTunes, Audirvana, Fidelia, and Pure Music, and having fun with all of them.

I'm using an inexpensive mini-Toslink to Toslink cable. USB is very good too. I may buy an MF V-Link or Hi-Face.

Improve your dac first (assuming your amp and speaker are decent). I'm using all my music as aiff or wav (I convert my Flac to hi-res aiff). Good luck!

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

Are you the same gentleman from the Naim forum?

I've been in contact with my dealer all week. He was in no hurry to get it back. It took 3 or 4 days to burn in and is still getting better. I gave him my VISA number over the phone. I'd been waiting to hear what he'd give me for my nSats and CD5i. What we decided is that I'd buy the Rega outright at a very good price. He's sell my Naim stuff anytime I want, at no cost to me.

I'd never jerk around a stereo dealer. I was in the business myself, many moons ago. It was his last model, and no more for two months.

It's an older model, so apparently I'd have to send it back to Rega for some kind of software (firmware?) update relating to 176khz/24 bit. Don't know what that's all about. I don't upsample, and I don't see buying hi-res beyond 96.

Dave

MacBook->Audirvana Plus->Naim DAC-V1>Naim Nait XS->Naim Intros/nSATs

A reasonable asynchronous USB DAC will provide a huge improvement in sound quality and is very simple to hook up. I had a good experience with rDAC. Upsampling will not provide the same impact.

iMac > Firewire > Weiss DAC 202 > ASR Emitter 1 > Focal 1028 Be

There simply is not enough 'music' in MP3 to upgrade from...Like asking your AM transistor radio to become musical if you buy an audiophile power cable and throw a room treatment behind it.

Re-rip those CD's and be amazed what a good DAC can do for you.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

Thanks all for the advice. I have so far:

1. Buy CDs or high res files not MP3s from now on.

2. Buy a DAC remembering that source files etc will limit the performance of any receiving equipment

3. Re-rip CDs to lossless format

Sounds like a great start. I'm just wondering what the benefits are of Pure Music functionality and whether this or other software before its hits the DAC is worthwhile?

Cheers

If replacing the compressed music isn't a priority (and it doesn't have to be), get something like one of the Peachtree Audio products that is more or less designed to get the best sound out of what you currently have. At least have a listen before you spend lots of money and time.