IGNORED

JPlay - a Player for Windows

Dear Marcin,

It seems you have a very nice sounding piece of software, I am eager to give it a try, but have not done so because I don't want to waste the precious trial period yet.

1) I use a Prism Sound Orpheus as both Preamp and DAC, it works with ASIO only, has its own ASIO driver. (I haven't figured out how to use WASAPI yet.) Does JPlay support ASIO?

2) I also use convolution .wav file for room acoustic correction, using Audiolense. Is Japlay compatible with any VST plugin?

Many thanks!

Peter

Hi Peter,

First of all you don't need to worry about expiration of the trial version, because it is not time-limited. Instead it will interrupt music with occasional pauses.

Now according to Orpheus' specs it should work with Kernel Streaming just fine: "ASIO and WDM drivers provided for Windows XP, VISTA (32 and 64bit) and Windows 7 (32 and 64bit"

Jplay doesn't support ASIO and we are not planning to add it. ASIO was developed to meet requirements of the pro industry and works best for recording rather than playback. For playback under Windows there is nothing better than Kernel Streaming. Kernel Streaming offers much lower latency. It is the lowest audio engine level in Windows, allowing more efficient, real-time streaming and requires less CPU time. It doesn’t even need Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Multimedia Class Scheduler services running. For the ultimate playback experience, we highly recommend using KS. Note that using KS in Jplay allows for streaming music samples one at a time to DAC (buffer size at 1 sample). We are very confident that playback with lowest latency provides better sound quality.

VST is not supported, sorry.

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 2 weeks later...

It's a custom built server. Fanless with internal heat sinks. Originally I was running Windows Home Server (tweaked as an audio only server, but it ran auto backup once a day), but switched to Vortexbox, as I decided it was simpler and more fitting my needs.

I did install the SoTM HD noise reducer on it. It has 2 WD Green drives - very quiet. No video card, network card, sound card etc. On board everything. So it is similar to a basic Sonore model.

If I was going to buy another server, I'd probably buy the Sonore Signature model with the SoTM USB card. Seems to be pretty tweaked as a quiet music server with hi-end performance.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I wanted to try this but I have a CAPS v2 server with the SoTM USB PCI interface connected to an Exa Devices USB to I2S board in my Buffalo DAC but it only supports Asio. I already have Win7 64 bit stripped down as far as I know how with some tweaks from the Black Viper website and it sounds damn good as it is but there is always more to be had.

Colin

Hi Colin,

From what I can see on Exadevices website, exaU2I USB interface supports Windows WDM (most probably KS as well) and WASAPI, but it gets available by using a third-party Windows driver: Virtual Audio Cable. Well, I haven't tried that, so can't comment on how well it works, but it's free to try :)

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Hey Folks,

First, let me just say that JPlay is THE BEST sound I have yet heard from a computer.

Especially in DirectLink and Hibernation. It is very easy to use. All you need to understand is your own file storage structure for your music and you're set. I'm also not tossing my J River MC 16... There will still be times I want to "browse" and listen. Plus, it has the added benefit of being remote controlled. And let's be honest, it's not dreadful either. It sounds quite good especially on hires stuff. I also don't have an "amazing hi $$$" setup to be able to hear the difference. Pretty run of the mill actually. The Ayre QB9 (24/192) is the standout kit in my setup.

My point is that JPlay took it to another (higher) level. And if it did it for me, I'm sure many others will benefit. I'd shout it from the rooftops if I could I'm so impressed. I personally can't wait to see what's next :)

If you do Win7 x64 Computer Audio, especially through USB, you gotta try this!

Thanks Josef and Marcin!

Jeff

My experience echoes yours Jeff. Perhaps it is because I (perversely) use a cheap laptop as my server, but JPlay really is the icing on the cake. Finally I believe my USB input now exceeds the AES/EBU source from my transport. Tonally, to me, JPlay sounds the same as JRiver - just clearer and more dynamic.

I've set mine up per the ideas on the JPlay forum so I can select a track in JRiver and centre click to auto load and play it in Jplay - simple as that. I'm addicted to a decent user interface btw, so won't be giving up JRiver anytime soon either - and I still play via JRiver when not being critical(same as Jeff there too).

You can't run a convolver in JPlay, or eq, but you can pre-convert files (eg using dBPoweramp batch converter)if desperate.

Anyway - all usual disclaimers apply - YMMV etc! These are just my thoughts today / they work for me / I'll probably change my mind tomorrow / things and my preferences evolve (for better or worse)/I'm sure others would have other views. There are a number of good players and much of the differences seem to just come down to "flavours", and system matching and may easily lead to differing conclusions. Something for everyone!

Murray

I've just used v 3.3a and it makes even a run of the mill Windows desktop sound like a high end player.

I'm wouldn't say it is better than a high end player (I'm talking hardware source), but considering that it is a fraction of the cost, it is definitely something any aspiring computer audiophile on a budget should consider.

For anyone whose main listening mode is whole albums, it could be just the ticket.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Edifer M1380 system.

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Guys, thanks for the nice feedback!

As Murray noticed, you can use either AutoIt or Autohotkey scripts to automate playback procedure. No need to right-click&copy, go to jplay's window and press space anymore - just one global hotkey (keyboard or mouse button) which works with everything, you name it - windows explorer, foobar, jriver etc. Just select the track, press the global hotkey and you're on it :)

Best regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Hi Marcin,

With so many people praising Jplay, I am thinking about getting my hands wet with Jplay!

Since I am deeply attached to using convolver with VST in my system, and Jplay doesn't support it, hopefully, yet :-) I am considering using VAC (Virtual audio cable) to run VST. I am not sure if I will be successful figuring out how to get it done.

Question for you, running VAC is something I imagine to be adding stress to my PC, even if I successfully figure out how to use it to run VST, hosting a convolver, do you think the outcome of sound into my DAC will be affected, in a negative way, due to loading the PC further? I appreciate your help.

Best,

Peter

• 1 month later...

After months of dithering I've finally bit the bullet and purchased JPlay. I must say I was initially sceptical about the improvements that could be brought by software alone. I was wrong to be sceptical. I initially thought that the purchase price seemed a bit steep, and isn't made any easier to swallow by the unfavourable Sterling to Euro exchange rate. However once you factor in free future upgrades and unlimited personal licences (I'll be using three) I think the price is fair. The pill was sweetened a little by a 20% discount available to John Kenny customers.

I've been optimising my work machine over the last few months. I realise that a PC not solely dedicated to music replay is far from an ideal solution, but unfortunately this is the only option available to me currently. Over this time period I've purchased a new DAC, increased the RAM from 4GB to 16GB, isolated audio output to its own USB card, and added mains filtering to PC and other associated components as well as other changes. It's hard to say which of these changes has made the biggest impact. All I can say is I'm very happy now I'm with the sound now.

I was happy with the sound of v3.3 (pre Throttle mode) feeling that it offered a smoother and more natural presentation to Foobar in both Kernel Streaming and WASAPI modes. Once I tried v3.4 with Throttle mode engaged though I was sold. Immediately on listening to Feist's new Metals album I was struck with the atmosphere of the recording which just isn't as vivid with it turned off. Track 3, "Caught a Long Wind" has much more depth, texture and bass extension. It looks like the guys have made real progress with v3.4 and I'd urge anyone less than impressed with previous versions to try this release. It is free to try after all!

I've seen only minor negative impacts to the user interface with Throttle Mode engaged so I can highly recommend this configuration to anyone with a fairly high end work PC which they are looking to take to the next level. I'm not sure how much impact Throttle Mode will have on resource hungry apps such as Visual Studio or Fireworks but I'll report back once I've given them a good workout.

Win7Pro64[JRMC17>JPlay4.1(Throttle)] > AQ Cinnamon > John Kenny SabreDAC > Denon AH-D2000s

He cbutch,

nice to read you have joined the happy users group :)

Your post make me thing of something, not directed at you, but I'll quote from your post.

I initially thought that the purchase price seemed a bit steep, and isn't made any easier to swallow by the unfavourable Sterling to Euro exchange rate.

The pill was sweetened a little by a 20% discount available...

Then

Over this time period I've purchased a new DAC, increased the RAM from 4GB to 16GB, isolated audio output to its own USB card, and added mains filtering to PC and other associated components as well as other changes.

I'm pretty sure JPlay was the less expensive of all these upgrades and pretty unsure as to why people wouldn't want to pay €99 for a software, when they are willing to spend so much more on hardware !

In my system, paying for Jplay was like buying a fresh baguette for diner, and the impact on sound is much bigger than the price tag would suggest. To an extent that I decided not to buy those expensive cables because Jplay was a bigger overall improvement.

Elp

Hi Elp,

I think it's maybe because people have been used to getting free software players such as Foobar for years now so software has a lower perceived value than hardware. People prefer to spend their money on something they can hold in their hands. Maybe the reason that I raised it was because the price has come under fire on another audio site that I'm involved in and I thought that it should be addressed.

I personally think JPlay represents very good value. I think a €99 baguette represents very bad value.

Chris

Win7Pro64[JRMC17>JPlay4.1(Throttle)] > AQ Cinnamon > John Kenny SabreDAC > Denon AH-D2000s

Lol Chris !

In your case, €99 is rather (possibly) 20 fresh baguettes and Jplay licence. So 21 reasons to be happy :D

You're not the only one to mention that people need to physically hold something that they paid with immaterial money.

In the CA world, where music is no longer on a shiny or black disc, I would have thought people were willing to pay for a software, that is roughly the price of 10 albums (unless this is the size of the music collection).

Cheers,

Elp

I am reading this thread for some time now.

I find it useful to add a comment on what you report as I have done extensive tests at software level on different players.

What I can attest is that on the test computers I am working on, the output is slightly different depending on the OS tweaks and services running in the background with Jplay.

With foobar, this is not so relevant as the background streaming process and real time display hook are taking resources and generating software+OS jitter.

Musiq Audiophile Blog

Music system: optimzed W7x64 dual core PC for audio, misc transports/dacs/cables, Vecteur amp, ProAc D28

• 2 weeks later...

Marcin, Josef I tried to register to your forum but it would not accept the password so I will post my thoughts here:

This is a great player and there is a real magic to the sound when in hibernate mode, but I would like to request some additional volume control if possible. I know you've mentioned sound degradation but for those of us who are able to go straight to power amp it would be a great help - any preamp with volume control passive or otherwise with the exception of LDR-based design degrades audio quality to some degree or another, so for those of us who do not have any such hindrance, additional volume control (like -3 instead of -6) would have less impact digitally than installing an analog pre/pot ( and those who don't need digital attenuation could just run jplay at full volume with no issues, correct?)...

my .02

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone who didn't like jplay because of no-GUI might like it now.

JPLAY is the first audiophile player providing direct integration with Foobar and iTunes (support for JRiver Media center is currently under investigation).

GUI panel is now also included for quick & easy adjustment of most important JPLAY settings.

JPLAY v4 is the first and only audio player that operates as a Windows Service. By leveraging ‘Session 0 Isolation’ JPLAY can get to non-fragmented memory sooner than with current approach of manually tweaking loading order of Startup programs. No user intervention is required as Windows guarantees JPLAY will be started at earliest possible moment for best results.

This now makes JPLAY easier to use than ever.

Regards,

Marcin

PS

JPLAY got the highest score in latest TAS issue :)

JPLAY & JCAT Founder