IGNORED

The HD music fft atlas reference thread

All I can say is that your Sibelius is not the only work from HDTT that I've seen and, in my opinion, has looked remarkably like an upsample from 48 to 96 kHz.

Certain converters (A/D and D/A) do such heavy filtering that the end result could have been as well 44.1/48... Even if the converter is running at higher rate.

(IOW, sometimes the producers may not know about this due to lack of measurements of their gear.)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

"Certain converters (A/D and D/A) do such heavy filtering that the end result could have been as well 44.1/48... Even if the converter is running at higher rate."

Thanks. I wasn't aware that non-upsampled files were available with not even -139 dB noise in the stopband.

If I've learned anything about this upsampling controversy then it's that I'm out of my depth and should keep my mouth shut from now on. :)

Thanks. I wasn't aware that non-upsampled files were available with not even -139 dB noise in the stopband. If I've learned anything about this upsampling controversy then it's that I'm out of my depth and should keep my mouth shut from now on. :)

Not entirely bad upsampling then... ;)

But my point was that some of those converters seem to run digital filters set to cut at roughly 22-24 kHz range, regardless of sampling rate. Result is that frequency response measurements always give the same result no matter what the sampling rate is.

I don't remember how much those had stop band attenuation.

I just told myself to stay away from this thread, but one more comment. The Pärt looks OK. There may be very little signal (as opposed to noise) above 20 kHz, but that seems likely to just be the nature of the recording, possibly due to the particular microphones that were used.

That's really the last I intend to write on the topic of upsampling.

Retrospect Ensemble - JS Bach/Easter and Ascension Oratorios 24/192.

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-js-bach-easter-oratorio-ascension-oratorios.aspx

Great recording, IMHO, although there's some sibilance from the soprano chorus but none during the solos. And, as ever, it's worth noting that Linn's hybrid SACD/5.1/2-ch/Redbook disc is cheaper that the 24/96 download.

AudacityScreenShot_EasterOratorio1.png

AudacityScreenShot_EasterOratorio2.png

I think you might want to be disappointed with this Pentatone Faure download. It originates as a DSD recording. Pentatone are pretty consumer friendly and take their audiophile reputation seriously. Write to them [email protected]. You could have ordered(13.98 from amzon reseller) and probably had shipped the physical media for less than the price of a download, therefore I'm wary of any download that has matching physical media. I'd rather have the latter where its same or higher resolution. Quality control leaves somewhat to be desired on HDTracks.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

It originates as a DSD recording.

These days I don't see much point in selling PCM-conversions of DSD source in general. Hopefully everybody would switch to selling the authentic DSD instead of PCM conversion and let the listener decide if he wants to listen it in DSD or through some conversion method (there are many ways to do it)...

I can't see any DRM reasons for this either.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a really gorgeous spectrum of the first movement of the Mahler 5th with Yannick Nezet-Seguin and the Philadelphia Orchestra, newly available on HDtracks:

Can't ask for more!

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Someone posted that here or in another thread awhile ago, and based on that, I purchased the download.

This is a great example of what happens when HD Tracks gets it right.

I haven't purchased a Paul Simon album since Graceland, but this is at least as good.

Could I make a request. Has someone/anyone done an analysis of Steely Dan: Groucho and/or Steely Dan: Two Against Nature from HDT ?

I don't want to waste my money...

Thanks in advance,

Gordon

iMac, Core i5, 16GB RAM, 480Gb SSD., Wadia 121decoding Computer, KRK VXT6 Powered Reference Monitors. KRK10s Powered Sub. AKG Q701 Headphones, Little Dot MK IV SE Headphone Amp/Preamp, Audioquest & Take Five Audio Interconnects, Take Five Audio Powercords, BitPerfect, Pure Music, Max, XLD.