IGNORED

choices

reaperx40

Question

hello all im currently looking to upgrade my desktop setup i.e new speakers,dac,amp and anything else i may get...anyways im looking for a dac that has epic imaging and that 3d space i keep hearing about, i really want an R2R dac as most reviews ive read describe them as basically epic sounding..but if a decent delta sigma dac gives same soundstage then would consider that also...i currently have a topping dx3 pro with an smsl amp on jamo s803 bookshlef speakers and it sounds ok just nothing special..i was told studio monitors may be what im looking for however other than kali audio i dont see many in my budget. budget being around 3500$ for everything.

10 answers to this question

7 hours ago, reaperx40 said:

hello all im currently looking to upgrade my desktop setup i.e new speakers,dac,amp and anything else i may get...anyways im looking for a dac that has epic imaging and that 3d space i keep hearing about, i really want an R2R dac as most reviews ive read describe them as basically epic sounding..but if a decent delta sigma dac gives same soundstage then would consider that also...i currently have a topping dx3 pro with an smsl amp on jamo s803 bookshlef speakers and it sounds ok just nothing special..i was told studio monitors may be what im looking for however other than kali audio i dont see many in my budget. budget being around 3500$ for everything.

Dear Reaper,

this seems to be a difficult to answer question because it needs to fullfill expectations created by subjective descriptions from people often doing that for a living.

Epic imaging, 3d space, perhaps holographic sound in a desktop speaker environment?

Is it a sensation you've already had with any setup, or something you imagine as beautiful without having experienced it?

From my personal experience, it's rather the room (treatment) and the applied DSP/DRC in combination with the adapted output (speaker/amp) that may bring you closer to your personal target.

Deficits in that regard may overlay any DAC advancements you'll buy into

If you're sensitive to a particular range of the frequency band, you may test speaker with different tweeter tech or by adding a subwoofer.

A talk with @mitchco could allow you to consider the options in the DRC direction.

Best, Tom

On 2/19/2024 at 3:03 AM, DuckToller said:

Dear Reaper,

this seems to be a difficult to answer question because it needs to fullfill expectations created by subjective descriptions from people often doing that for a living.

Epic imaging, 3d space, perhaps holographic sound in a desktop speaker environment?

Is it a sensation you've already had with any setup, or something you imagine as beautiful without having experienced it?

From my personal experience, it's rather the room (treatment) and the applied DSP/DRC in combination with the adapted output (speaker/amp) that may bring you closer to your personal target.

Deficits in that regard may overlay any DAC advancements you'll buy into

If you're sensitive to a particular range of the frequency band, you may test speaker with different tweeter tech or by adding a subwoofer.

A talk with @mitchco could allow you to consider the options in the DRC direction.

Best, Tom

as far as my room i basically made it into an anechoic chamber lol have good quality panels covering the walls and ceiling plus bass traps..and as far as epicness lol i mean where i can hear instrument placement and almost feels as if the band or orchestra is right there in the room,, i have heard what im looking for in an audio demo room but the speakers they were using were like 20k$, but i know you dont need 20k$ speakers to make that kind of sound happen...

27 minutes ago, reaperx40 said:

as far as my room i basically made it into an anechoic chamber lol have good quality panels covering the walls and ceiling plus bass traps..and as far as epicness lol i mean where i can hear instrument placement and almost feels as if the band or orchestra is right there in the room,, i have heard what im looking for in an audio demo room but the speakers they were using were like 20k$, but i know you dont need 20k$ speakers to make that kind of sound happen...

I would bet that you don't need a DAC for 3k to make that happen, neither ;-)

Questions:
Are your panel placements lead by measurements or by your thump / eye functionality?
And are you using digital room correction for nearfield, too?

Most atmosphere you may perceive during playback is a question of artistery on instruments and miking. mixing & mastering.
I have read often, that people - for example - find recordings from T-Bone Burnette very gratifying in this direction. because "it sound like the musicians are walking out of the speakers". 
The @The Computer Audiophile favourites "Three Blind Mice" recordings have often something special about that, too. You'll find a couple of threads here in the forums that deal with "audiophile recordings/masterings"

OTOH, if it's not within the recording, your choice of pricey DAC won't help you to find your gral. There is the need that several things come together to get the experience you may desire.
In my book,  a DAC for more than 1k (iow - well designed and executed at that price point) is not in the top 5 of them.
Good luck, Tom

1 hour ago, reaperx40 said:

as far as my room i basically made it into an anechoic chamber lol have good quality panels covering the walls and ceiling plus bass traps

Everyone is entitled to their own "perfect system." However, an anechoic chamber is really good for measuring components in isolation, not so much for listening to music for most people. You may want to dial it back a bit. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 2/21/2024 at 2:54 PM, DuckToller said:

I would bet that you don't need a DAC for 3k to make that happen, neither ;-)

Questions:
Are your panel placements lead by measurements or by your thump / eye functionality?
And are you using digital room correction for nearfield, too?

Most atmosphere you may perceive during playback is a question of artistery on instruments and miking. mixing & mastering.
I have read often, that people - for example - find recordings from T-Bone Burnette very gratifying in this direction. because "it sound like the musicians are walking out of the speakers". 
The @The Computer Audiophile favourites "Three Blind Mice" recordings have often something special about that, too. You'll find a couple of threads here in the forums that deal with "audiophile recordings/masterings"

OTOH, if it's not within the recording, your choice of pricey DAC won't help you to find your gral. There is the need that several things come together to get the experience you may desire.
In my book,  a DAC for more than 1k (iow - well designed and executed at that price point) is not in the top 5 of them.
Good luck, Tom

oh i wasnt going for a dac only for 3k that was the price to get everything i need i.e dac,preamp,amp speakers....i already have a dac and preamp and amp in mind which will deliver the goods as they say i just now need a pair of speakers that will deliver...and yes i did the room correction with Sonarworks reference 4 studio edition, but will most likely do again once i have the speakers ill be using on a more permanent basis. also i have looked at that merason dac but it only really shines when you pair it with the linear power supply they made for it but that alone is 900$ lol

8 hours ago, reaperx40 said:

i already have a dac and preamp and amp in mind which will deliver the goods as they say i just now need a pair of speakers that will deliver.

have you actually listened to any of the things you plan to buy, or are you just gauging everything from the internet ?

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

On 2/24/2024 at 2:36 AM, stefano_mbp said:

Adam Audio A8H (active monitors with DSP) or Neumann KH310 (powered) are around your budget considering you don’t need a power amplifier and you can stay with your dac (at least for now)

i had thought about the adams there in my top list...sorry to revive the thread after so long but im still stuck on speaker choices lol im really liking the triangle borea br09's and the comete....then i found a very nice paradigm tower...ugh think i need to commit and stop looking seems i want them all lol