IGNORED

JRiver goes Subscription - sort of

4 hours ago, church_mouse said:

Would people be so happy to accept the argument "that is just how the industry works" if they were told that parts of their car would now be switched off by the manufacturer merely because you had not bought a new car from them within 5 years?

I think this is a bridge way too far and nothing like the current situation. If we used these extremes, we should then ask if all the people would rather have JRiver go out of business offering free stuff than to pay $30 to upgrade. Fortunately we aren’t in either situation. 

4 hours ago, church_mouse said:

However, that avoids the principle - IF JRiver is switching off access to a service for no reason other than the owner of the software licence subsequently has not bought anything else (an update) from them, how can that be morally right? If the principle is morally right, then the amount is irrelevant and charging $6 per month or per week would also fit the principle.

To me, there is nuance and gray areas in everything. Without all the facts, we really shouldn’t jump to the worst possible reasoning for JRiver doing something. Even so, I think the amount matters. If this software was sold for $829.99 like Roon, I’d be more apt to question what’s going on. 

Knowing what it costs to operate this site, I’d say JRiver’s explanation that @ecwl posted is absolutely reasonable to me. It costs money to offer a service, that cost has likely increased more than normal with inflation over the last couple years. Perhaps the principled people also see principles working both ways, and realize that it’s unreasonable to expect a costly service to work in perpetuity, also understanding that 99.9% of the application still works perfectly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

35 minutes ago, church_mouse said:

I have no animus towards JRiver. I have great respect for Chris (as far as I can judge from his comments on and handling of this site), I just disagree on this occasion (quite strongly on the strength of the arguments so far).

Its all good @church_mouse  different opinions are the spice of life. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png