IGNORED

Article: JPLAY for iOS and iPadOS Review

33 minutes ago, Jud said:

note that Audirvana has always been designed such that any DSP and sending the DSP-converted track over the network are separate steps.

They are separate steps but they are anyway subsequent … first is DSP/upsampling and then there is the sending to the renderer after wav conversion, of course you can decide not to use DSP/upsampling.

But I’ve found that Audirvana library management is too heavy and this has a bad impact on performance, my MacBook Pro i7/16GB ram (late 2011) was always running full throttle just to keep the library synchronized for at least 40’ since Audirvana was started, and this is an automatic task … no way to jump it.

If I had to classify the performance I should say (from the worst to the best)

1. Audirvana stand alone
  2. Audirvana with UPNP renderer
  3. UPNP “pure” setup

Stefano

My audio system

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm not sure I understand what process you refer to if you say it can't be avoided. The processes I'm thinking of can be turned off by unchecking boxes.

I stopped using Audirvana when Studio was launched, so I refer to 3.5.x version and for local storage (thunderbolt attached) there is no way to avoid synchronization, it’s only possible for network shared storage.

Anyway, this isn’t the right place to discuss about Audirvana that is … old story for me …

Stefano

My audio system

2 minutes ago, Raimund Heubel said:

Navigating through the JPLAY-website I was informed about a two PC set-up that in theory should sound best, but I could not check this out (yet).

That’s JPlay Femto, a totally different beast.

While JPlay for iOS is a UPNP control point app JPlay Femto is instead a player like Euphony or Audirvana or JRiver

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, WAM said:

The only thing I am missing, is he possibility to filter on ' grouping' for my local files.

This is available using Minimserver.

In order to have the possibility to filter by grouping (Works) you need to define in Minimserver Properties/Advanced/upnpCustom the property 

roleTags={Grouping}

once defined the property you need to restart/rescan Minimserver

this should work for now, Minimserver Full license is needed, in the (near) future there will be some changes that will be announced …

… of course this will work if your files grouping tag is populated 

Stefano

My audio system

7 hours ago, yy said:

Do you think it’s possible to connect directly Jplay iOS to an HQPLAYER embedded computer standalone, I mean, without any other computer with Jplay Femto or MinimServer

… as already said yes using only external streaming services like Qobuz or Tidal but without a UPnP mediaserver you won’t able to access local music as JPlay for iOS cannot read the library loaded in HQPe

Stefano

My audio system

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Does jplay support cover art for multichannel dsf images when using minimserver as a library.  I am using jplay to send information from minimserver to my magnetar udp800 universal player..  Jplay is able to transfer the files fine and I am able to play multichannel audio from dsf files.  However, I don't see any cover art when looking at the monitor through which I view my home theater system (it shows the magnetar player screen).  

In an UPNP setup the control point send to the renderer just the address (as http://server/file-path) of the file/s, then the renderer asks the server the file to be played using that address.

That said if no cover art is shown likely the cover art is not retrieved by the renderer.

Stefano

My audio system

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Most of the issues are because UPnP is a nonstandard standard.

There should be a sort of UPNP certification, if well implemented UPNP works without issues.

I use three different UPNP setup, with Minimserver as UPNP mediaserver,

• SOtM sMS200/MPD&DLNA
  • Ropieee/UPNP
  • HQPlayer embedded

and they all work as they should, with control points like JPlay for iOS, Lumïn app and Linn … no issues at all

Stefano

My audio system