IGNORED

My recent experience with the new AMD 7000 series processors and related motherboards

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

How did you get 4 sticks of DDR5 RAM to clock higher than 3600mhz?

Reading the experience of other builders, I too was apprehensive about getting 4 sticks of DDR5 to play together.

It should be said that DDR4 sticks can be purchased in lots of 2 or 4 sticks that are matched and designed to work together. For DDR5 there are no QVL listings for 4 sticks anywhere to found, only paired sticks.

Experience tells me that installing ram pairs in paired slots ensures that the matched set at least share the same channel.  This has eliminated any issues with 4 sticks of DDR5 on multiple ZEN4 builds.

BTW, 6000mhz is said to be the ram speed "sweet spot" for the AMD 7000 series.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 7/21/2023 at 1:21 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Considering no one else on the planet has been able to accomplish this, I am curious to know how you did it.

Based your response, I looked around and do see others have had issues with 4 sticks on AMD, but others have got it working.

Two things:

1) My AMD/DDR5 motherboards are set to always run full memory training, making 6000mhz reliable with 4 sticks. Boots times are long, >1 min <2 mins, but always complete successfully.

2) The DDR5 DIMM connectors are new and finicky, and re-seating DIMMs when there are training problems seems to help.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, yamamoto2002 said:

I did read the specifications and avoided 4 DIMM configuration, for it should be somewhat slower than 4 DIMM and 96GB should be enough for my workloads. But in the future, if memory exhausts and computer starts thrashing, I do not hesitate to add another 96GB

IMO 16GB x2 is better than 16GB x 4 for this CPU

In generally, across Intel and AMD product lines, without fully populated memory slots it is difficult to achieve the kind of "liquid" sound quality that so many of us hope to obtain.

This is a shame as memory is expensive.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

That board has zero EXPO 4 stick combos in its QVL, according to ASUS.

Agreed, the QVL of the B650 motherboard used here does not indicate support for 4 DDR5 sticks. Yet it works.

BTW, sometime during my research into the AMD 7000 series a ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI motherboard was acquired with the intention of testing SQ to learn if the upgrade was worth double the cost of the b650 motherboard. A CPU and 4 memory sticks that had been previously stable in an AMD B650 motherboard were used for this test.  After 8 hours of changing bios settings, and trying various bios releases without success, I gave up on getting 4 sticks to play nicely and returned the motherboard to the vendor.

Also, as shown above, this server is using 4 x 16gb DDR5 sticks for a total of 64 GBs. These are based on the old "power of 2" memory size multiples. The new 24gb, 48gb DDR5 multiple DDR5 sticks need a bios update that includes AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a. at least according to ASUS.

Note - Call me old fashioned but having spent months of my life staring at a digital logic analyser to debug an Intel cpu, any memory stick not sized by the power of 2 is suspect.

Here some Reddit threads of others that have successfully booted AMD 7000 series with 4 sticks of DDR5 at 6000mhz.  These threads also include some bios settings that have works for others.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/zy530w/comment/jjfqlld/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/yto6oy/filling_all_4_ram_slots_on_am5/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/zy530w/getting_4_sticks_of_ddr5_6000_to_work_at_full/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 6:15 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

I've been using my PC for one month. There is a BIOS update and XMP training takes longer time. It takes a few minutes to show initial BIOS screen when XMP parameter is changed.

It seems my 2 sticks of DDR5-5600 memory is unstable with 5600MHz. Decided to disable XMP and set DRAM clock to 4800MHz. Since then the PC runs without troubles so far.

Did you look at the Reddit posts that were shared above?

Others have found the bios parameters that fix the long post issue and 4 stick problems.

12 hours ago, Nenon said:

@lmitche did you have a chance to try a good quality ULPS (and well burned-in, as these things really need at least 4-5 months) with the Taiko DC to DC ATX? I guess not given the comment above. 

This is my golden standard for powering up an audio computer these days. I haven't seen anything coming even remotely close. 

Good to hear you like those AMDs. 

@nenon To be clear, my experiment here was to find the best relatively inexpensive (<$200) power supply for someone starting from scratch. For some people, budgets mean that the cost of investing in a new music server will take some compromise. Rather than compromise on the server sound quality (SQ), many people prefer an inexpensive power supply to start. The goal is to purchase a music server that will later scale up in SQ once the funds for a better power supply are available.

Within this context, the Hdplex 500W GaN AIO(All-In-One) ATX Power Supply offers the best sounding low-cost solution tested here. My prior solution was OK, but no where near the musical performance possible with the new Hdplex AIO supply,

As to your question about my experience with the Taiko DX-ATX and ULPS. After much effort, including a ULPS rebuild, the AMD Ryzen 7000 builds will not boot with the Taiko supply powered with an ULPS. I do not know why.

• Intel builds boot with the Taiko/ULPS pair and sound better than any other power solution tested on Intel servers.
  • AMD Ryzen 7000 builds will boot with an 800 watt Hdplex DC-ATX/ULPS and beats the SQ of the Intel servers with the Taiko/ULPS.

Unfortunately, there is no way to listen to the Taiko/ULPS pair and the AMD server.

If you know someone with a well burnt in Taiko DC-ATX/ULPS pair that can lend one, I will be happy to try again.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:26 PM, RGBK said:

Can I ask if that possibly happens to be the Asus ROG Strix B650E-E?

(That MB seems have if not top so at least ok power handling for being B650E, and have 3 (PCIe 5.0) direct to CPU connections/lanes from the CPU. 2 PCIe, 1 M.2)

I have zero experience with a B650E-E motherboard. Nevertheless, once booted, power draw rarely exceeds 40 watts during music playback unless you are upsampling with Hqplayer,.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2023 at 6:18 AM, RGBK said:

Thanks Larry, but my question was really about which specific Asus MB that actually could run 4 pieces of ddr5 at 6000MHz?

My comments within parenthesis was just my thoughts on a specific MBs power handeling and direct to CPU PCIe communication. I am aware that all 650 MBs can handle 65W TDP CPUs.

Best regards RGB

My point was merely that I have no experience with B650E motherboards. I expect any B650 motherboard will run 4 pieces of DDR5 at 6000mhz. My only other experience is with X670E motherboards which failed to run at 6000mhz.