IGNORED

My recent experience with the new AMD 7000 series processors and related motherboards

thanks for being inquisitive ! I wondered about that new range for a while but turned to starting a dual Xeon build....

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

How did you get 4 sticks of DDR5 RAM to clock higher than 3600mhz?

Reading the experience of other builders, I too was apprehensive about getting 4 sticks of DDR5 to play together.

It should be said that DDR4 sticks can be purchased in lots of 2 or 4 sticks that are matched and designed to work together. For DDR5 there are no QVL listings for 4 sticks anywhere to found, only paired sticks.

Experience tells me that installing ram pairs in paired slots ensures that the matched set at least share the same channel.  This has eliminated any issues with 4 sticks of DDR5 on multiple ZEN4 builds.

BTW, 6000mhz is said to be the ram speed "sweet spot" for the AMD 7000 series.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

7 hours ago, lmitche said:

Reading the experience of other builders, I too was apprehensive about getting 4 sticks of DDR5 to play together.

It should be said that DDR4 sticks can be purchased in lots of 2 or 4 sticks that are matched and designed to work together. For DDR5 there are no QVL listings for 4 sticks anywhere to found, only paired sticks.

Experience tells me that installing ram pairs in paired slots ensures that the matched set at least share the same channel.  This has eliminated any issues with 4 sticks of DDR5 on multiple ZEN4 builds.

BTW, 6000mhz is said to be the ram speed "sweet spot" for the AMD 7000 series.

You still didn't say how you managed to get 4 sticks to 6000mhz.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Do you have a question about some other technical aspects of the 4 stick DDR5 memory installation process?

Considering no one else on the planet has been able to accomplish this, I am curious to know how you did it.

No electron left behind.

On 7/21/2023 at 1:21 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Considering no one else on the planet has been able to accomplish this, I am curious to know how you did it.

Based your response, I looked around and do see others have had issues with 4 sticks on AMD, but others have got it working.

Two things:

1) My AMD/DDR5 motherboards are set to always run full memory training, making 6000mhz reliable with 4 sticks. Boots times are long, >1 min <2 mins, but always complete successfully.

2) The DDR5 DIMM connectors are new and finicky, and re-seating DIMMs when there are training problems seems to help.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:07 PM, lmitche said:

Based your response, I looked around and do see others have had issues with 4 sticks on AMD, but others have got it working.

Two things:

1) My AMD/DDR5 motherboards are set to always run full memory training, making 6000mhz reliable with 4 sticks. Boots times are long, >1 min <2 mins, but always complete successfully.

2) The DDR5 DIMM connectors are new and finicky, and re-seating DIMMs when there are training problems seems to help.

Can you show me a link to someone who has it working? AMD themselves say 4 sticks is limited to 3600mhz.

No electron left behind.

12 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Can you show me a link to someone who has it working? AMD themselves say 4 sticks is limited to 3600mhz.

Depends on the MB manufacturer and bios used.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

30 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Depends on the MB manufacturer and bios used.

Fair point I suppose but I still have not seen any evidence of anyone getting 4 sticks to 6000mhz no matter the equipment used. And the ones that are getting more than 3600mhz have had to go through incredibly detailed manual overclocking to get to 4000mhz, I think I recall a 4200mhz. It's not plug and play.

No electron left behind.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

31 minutes ago, MarcelNL said:

Go back to page 1... this is done with a 2 stick configuration of 2x16GB sticks for a total of 32GB. I have 2x32 DDR5 CL30 @6000MHZ right now. 4 Sticks would run at 3600mhz.

2 sticks = easy. Enable EXPO and reboot

4 sticks = not possible.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 4.39.40 PM.png

edit: I have this exact kit:  https://www.gskill.com/product/165/393/1665020366/F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N

No electron left behind.

12 hours ago, lmitche said:

Thats interesting . . . what bios are you running on your ASUS Hero x670E motherboard?

I have an Asus X670E Pro Art because it has a 10GB port.

You still haven't answered my question. You answer mine, I'll answer yours.

No electron left behind.

20 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

I'm using 2x 48GB DDR5, total 96GB memory on this AMD 7950x computer. This machine is not suitable to be placed in a audio room, high pitched coil whine acoustic noise is heard

Again, no one is disputing that 2 sticks can be made to easily run at EXPO speeds. @lmitche claimed he has 4 sticks running at 6000mhz. I want to know how because it seems like a motherboard and/or chip redesign might be the only way as the memory controller on the CPU is just overwhelmed with 4 sticks at higher speeds.

No electron left behind.

I did read the specifications and avoided 4 DIMM configuration, for it should be somewhat slower than 4 DIMM and 96GB should be enough for my workloads. But in the future, if memory exhausts and computer starts thrashing, I do not hesitate to add another 96GB

IMO 16GB x2 is better than 16GB x 4 for this CPU

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

37 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Really?

Perhaps something in this picture will help you.

B650biosmemorysettings-Copy.thumb.JPG.af72fbc081f5662a5e8f2fd377dbae02.JPG

Doubtful as everything is on auto and that would automatically set 4 sticks of DDR5 at 3600mhz. So you either have 2 sticks, which would work at 6000mhz or...

No electron left behind.

That board has zero EXPO 4 stick combos in its QVL, according to ASUS.

The problem is down to the design of the IMC on the Ryzen 7000 CPU. It's not something a BIOS can fix. CPUs that use Registered ECC RAM do not have this problem because their IMC only sees the Buffer, not each individual rank of RAM on Each stick. Right now, 4 sticks of 16GB RAM is 8 ranks of RAM and that is just too much for the IMC on the Ryzen to handle at high speeds. It will not go higher than 3600mhz without manual tuning. Setting the Expo profile won't do it.

Look for yourself:  https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-crosshair/rog-crosshair-x670e-hero-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 11.15.20 PM.png

No electron left behind.

On 7/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, yamamoto2002 said:

I did read the specifications and avoided 4 DIMM configuration, for it should be somewhat slower than 4 DIMM and 96GB should be enough for my workloads. But in the future, if memory exhausts and computer starts thrashing, I do not hesitate to add another 96GB

IMO 16GB x2 is better than 16GB x 4 for this CPU

In generally, across Intel and AMD product lines, without fully populated memory slots it is difficult to achieve the kind of "liquid" sound quality that so many of us hope to obtain.

This is a shame as memory is expensive.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

That board has zero EXPO 4 stick combos in its QVL, according to ASUS.

Agreed, the QVL of the B650 motherboard used here does not indicate support for 4 DDR5 sticks. Yet it works.

BTW, sometime during my research into the AMD 7000 series a ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI motherboard was acquired with the intention of testing SQ to learn if the upgrade was worth double the cost of the b650 motherboard. A CPU and 4 memory sticks that had been previously stable in an AMD B650 motherboard were used for this test.  After 8 hours of changing bios settings, and trying various bios releases without success, I gave up on getting 4 sticks to play nicely and returned the motherboard to the vendor.

Also, as shown above, this server is using 4 x 16gb DDR5 sticks for a total of 64 GBs. These are based on the old "power of 2" memory size multiples. The new 24gb, 48gb DDR5 multiple DDR5 sticks need a bios update that includes AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a. at least according to ASUS.

Note - Call me old fashioned but having spent months of my life staring at a digital logic analyser to debug an Intel cpu, any memory stick not sized by the power of 2 is suspect.

7 hours ago, lmitche said:

Agreed, the QVL of the B650 motherboard used here does not indicate support for 4 DDR5 sticks. Yet it works.

BTW, sometime during my research into the AMD 7000 series a ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI motherboard was acquired with the intention of testing SQ to learn if the upgrade was worth double the cost of the b650 motherboard. A CPU and 4 memory sticks that had been previously stable in an AMD B650 motherboard were used for this test.  After 8 hours of changing bios settings, and trying various bios releases without success, I gave up on getting 4 sticks to play nicely and returned the motherboard to the vendor.

Also, as shown above, this server is using 4 x 16gb DDR5 sticks for a total of 64 GBs. These are based on the old "power of 2" memory size multiples. The new 24gb, 48gb DDR5 multiple DDR5 sticks need a bios update that includes AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a. at least according to ASUS.

Note - Call me old fashioned but having spent months of my life staring at a digital logic analyser to debug an Intel cpu, any memory stick not sized by the power of 2 is suspect.

That was the QVL for the X670 E Hero you claimed to have. You have shown absolutely nothing to make me believe your claim that you are somehow smarter than everyone else on the planet and have made this work.

However, I encourage everyone else to try it and see what happens when you set your 4 RAM sticks to EXPO and Auto. Make sure to post back asking how lmitche did it.

No electron left behind.