IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ah, a smart move ... dropping in a picture of a scientist who said in so many words, "SpaceX can be ignored - they'll never be able to land a rocket like in the comics!" ... to paraphrase, when an expert in a field says something can't be done, then he can be safely disregarded ...  x-D.

Magic is where it's at, right Frank? So I should ignore a scientist and listen to you, instead? ;)

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is an interesting post, titled, “Is Science is a Belief System, Yes it is.”

https://medium.com/@ngxinzhao/is-science-a-belief-system-yes-it-is-f239f7e4861

Clearly the author is confused. Science never requires blind faith. And how science is taught in schools is sadly not representative of real Science.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It doesn't seem many are reading the post ...

I've got to my current position from number 3. above. All the screaming, say in the ASR forum, that what I believe can't be true counts for nought - it's a level of belief that I would call, as above, "knowing".

The silliness of the arguments, here, is encapsulated in saying that somehow I'm "breaking the Laws of Physics!" - twaddle of the first order, :). We're talking about, yes, conjuring up an illusion - persuading the mind to accept a 'mirage' - which can done numerous ways. Refining, and varying the method used to do this is just a mechanical process, and one gets better at it, the more you know, understand what's going on.

Rrright... breaking laws of Physics is a silly argument. I can see X-rays and molecules with my unaided eyes. I can hear frequencies well into the GHz range and noise down to -300dB. Prove me wrong.

13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes. Because convincing replay is exactly that - you're transported to the environment of the recording, whether it's a beautifully captured real world acoustic, or a completely artificial contrivance generated in synthesizers. Where you're listening is then a 'shell' hooked over your back, so to speak, which has come along for the ride. It's a conjuring act, right :) - your brain takes over in insisting that what you're listening to is the dominant acoustic event - if you drop the volume right, right down that place is still there - but now it's a long way away.

If the sound is "messed up" by the room, then the setup ain't workin' right ...

The laws of physics don't apply to how the brain interprets the data! Let's consider a visual behaviour that is well known ... people put on glasses which invert, vertically, what they see; after enough time, the brain says, "I've had enough of this silliness! I'll just flip it over, so it matches how I know it really is." The raw data is now processed to 'correct' things - bingo, "the laws of physics have been broken!".

And the same can happen with audio; what's coming into the ears is processed to 'correct' things, to match what the mind knows 'is really there'.

It would be appropriate (if not truly amazing!) for you, Frank, to admit that you have no idea what it takes for someone else's mind to be convinced in the way that yours is. You're extrapolating on the basis of your own "revelatory" experience of 35 years ago.  There's no science, fact, or even simple engineering behind any of your conjuring act. You continue to post and argue on the basis of your own, personal illusion, insisting that it applies to everyone with not a shred of evidence that it applies to anyone other than you. 

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The only people who haven't tuned into the type of sound I work towards have been, ahem, "audiophiles" ... :D :P. 'Normal' people just get that it sounds good; they have zero interest in "balance between bass, mid-range and treble" and all the other twaddle that audio people fret about - it sounds good, therefore, it is good, for these people ...

Again, you're making assumptions about others with nothing to support them but the illusion that existed 35 years ago in your own brain. 

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You do realise I'm talking about people who have actually listened to what my setups sound like, right? Or who have tweaked the rigs to a standard I push them towards - the audio friend up the road?

Frank, you do realize that you're talking to people here that have not heard your system, met you in person, or know anything about you except for what you've been constantly repeating here. We've not met any of these people (are there more than one?), including this mysterious friend up the road. Is he real, flesh and blood? I've heard of him and your amazing results when helping him tune his system ;)

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Okay, close to 24 hours since this was posted - and no posts responding ... this tells me everything I need to know, :).

The Edifiers have gradually been pushed to a point where they are about 95% there; the illusion holds, depending on how happy the DVD player is, to within a foot or so ...

Don't know what you expect, Frank. Unless my ear is right next to the speaker, I don't hear the sound coming out of it, directly. Is that your "trick"? You want to tell me that only you can do this? Seriously? You're again assuming too many things about others without a shred of evidence.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ah, I forgot one of the most special tweaks - at a certain point, you replace the old newspapers with new newspapers ... this freshens up the SQ like you wouldn't believe ...

Now you tell me! Is there a proper "age" for these newspapers? I'm afraid that a very recent one will have a little of that fresh, crisp paper sound... maybe ones that are a little faded will be more subtle, less bright?

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Wonder if there are such things, as ... crap listeners ...

I wouldn't say that! They just don't have as powerful an imagination as you, Frank. That's why they have such a hard time imagining that a crap recording sounds wonderful.  In politically correct terms,  these people are imagination-challenged.

5 minutes ago, Confused said:

Yes, I read the article you posted a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me of some of my past experiences with blind testing, subtle differences that seemed clear in sighted listening mysteriously vanished when tried blind.

I have found that using blind testing to provide clarity to myself as to what I can discern to be incredibly useful self knowledge. What I can indeed discern, what I cannot, where I might be fooled, and so on.

I think that's the real value of blind testing. It is to reveal what you can really hear, rather than what you think you hear. It's just too easy to hear huge differences, many veils lifted, improved microdynamics, wider soundstage, better instrument separation, more air, more slam, etc., etc., etc., if you think that something has changed. Even if nothing was changed in reality.