IGNORED

Expectation Bias

kennyb123

5 minutes ago, dericchan1 said:

I thought expectation bias means a fantasy world that exist in one’s minds?

meaning they live in a fantasy world where expectation bias doesn't exist.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I’m glad you mentioned this because it supports my argument.  Typically only a small percentage of those given the placebo react as if it actually did something.  Blind testing relies on this number being small as it represents the control group.  They can know a drug is effective when those actually given the medication have a reaction that exceeds that of the control group

If perception bias were as bad as some in audio say, double-blind testing would be useless because mostly everyone given the drug would imagine that it helped.  That double-blind testing can be counted on as being reliable is proof that expectation bias isn’t as big of a factor as some make it out to be.  

Sorry, Kenny this and your other posts suggest a basic misunderstading of the concepts. You've simply gotten it wrong. 

Placebo effects can be large, even in drug testing. The idea doesn't depend on it being near 100%, as you seem to think. The strength of the placebo effect also depends on the malady involved. 

In audio it's even more important, as unlike drug testing, we aren't curing a disease or eliminating a specific physical reaction, which is a clear outcome. In audio it can have subtle effects. So unlike drug testing, the effect is altering say, bass perception, not eliminating it. 

There are so many tests showing perception bias in humans that it isn't in dispute. Including audio perception. Ever looked up the McGurk effect? Try it.

Your exercise doing Google searches don't undo decades of research. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

Sorry, Kenny this and your other posts suggest a basic misunderstading of the concepts. You've simply gotten it wrong. 

Placebo effects can be large, even in drug testing. The idea doesn't depend on it being near 100%, as you seem to think. The strength of the placebo effect also depends on the malady involved. 

In audio it's even more important, as unlike drug testing, we aren't curing a disease or eliminating a specific physical reaction, which is a clear outcome. In audio it can have subtle effects. So unlike drug testing, the effect is altering say, bass perception, not eliminating it. 

There are so many tests showing perception bias in humans that it isn't in dispute. Including audio perception. Ever looked up the McGurk effect? Try it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k8fHR9jKVM

Your exercise doing Google searches don't undo decades of research. 

7 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Great then I’m sure it would be easy for you to provide support for your claim that expectation bias impacts us all the time when we evaluate audio.  

The McGurk effect has no relevance to this topic.  This has nothing to do with bias.  It pertains to the interaction between hearing and vision in speech perception.  Nice that you can call out a study by name.  How about naming one that actually supports your assertions around audio.  I’m genuinely interested in seeing this and have yet to find anything myself.  

I have no interest in  spending my  time  looking for links to provide for you. In your posts I've mostly seen someone who did a quick Google search and then made broad, and incorrect conclusions based on misunderstanding. Probably misunderstanding brought about by a desire not to understand the material in a way that threatens your position. The evidence is overwhelming for perception bias in all forms of human perception. But I get that whatever evidence you are presented with, you will say it doesn't apply/isn't good enough for audio. 

The McGurk effect has everything to do with this: it's one example of how ideas in our brain effect what we hear. It's just a different form of perception bias. Do you think listening to music is so different that somehow our brains totally change how they work when the aural stimuli come from a speaker?

At Harmon, they found that even experienced listeners' perceptions of speakers were effected by visual clues, such seeing the size of the speaker or the brand of the speaker. Get it? Visual clues can effect audio perception.

A few years ago research was published showing people's  evaluation of volume: the same volume signal was perceived as having different loudness levels, depending on the graphic shown when the audio was playing. The audio was accompanied by the picture of electronics, all of which were the same except for the color of the volume knob on the device. The one with the red knob was perceived as having the loudest volume, even though there was no volume change.

But none of that has anything to do with audio, right?

t's because you know it will be difficult to prove you assertion.  You make sweeping assertions and then use logical fallacies as proof.  

No, it's because I really don't think it's worth my time. Find the links to stuff I've mentionsed 

I don't know about you, but I was able to adjust my thinking to be able to prioritize what I heard over what I saw.  So if there is any relevance to expectation bias, this would suggest that if I know my biases, I can adjust my perception to remove that bias.  

No. And this shows you misunderstand the whole concept. Expectation biases aren't conscious. You can't know with certainty what they are and you can't control them as you think. This is typical wrong and arrogant thinking of audiophiles that they are exempt from a basic fact of human behavior and perception.

Of course it does but again it doesn't prove your argument about expectation bias.  All that proves is under those specific conditions, it was possible to influence bias in the observers.  No one is disputing that manipulation is possible.  But these findings can only be applied to the home if similar conditions are present.  I often turn off the lights and close my eyes when I do serious listening comparisons just so I can better focus on what I'm doing.    I know many other audiophiles who take similar steps.  Where are the studies on how much less of a factor expectation bias when care is taken to approach the comparison fairly?  There are none.

Again, audiophile myths with no connection to reality. There are studies showing education about a specific bias under specific controlled circumstances can have some effect on results. But that doesn't prove your point or disprove mine. You can't control your expectation biases in your listening room as you keep claiming. Especially since you don't even know what they are.

It's simply false thinking to think that you can.  That's why  blind testing and double blind testing is used when scientific evaluations are made. They are necessary because the ability to eliminate expectation bias as you claim doesn't exist. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, manisandher said:

The whole of science relies on intuition and curiousity

Sort of. It's a necessary but not sufficient condition.

People who are totally unscientific also have intuition and curiosity.

Science is a method for finding out repeatable objective results and producing hypotheses that get us closer to the truth about the natural world. 

That's why eliminating all bias from testing and discovering something that's repeatable is important.

Your "experiment" is interesting, but is only a first step.

But it shows why this stuff is almost never done in audio. The comments about experiment design and the need to do more are spot on. It's difficult and expensive  to do right, and the incentive really isn't there. There's little academic interest, and commercial interest is mostly against it. 

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

NO - a hypothesis is based on previous data, similar type of experiments, etc. It is not intuition; it many times is extrapolation.

Agreed. The scientific use of the word is different than the lay use. A scientific hypothesis is supposed to be a proposed explanation of previously known data, etc. And it needs to be something that can be tested.