IGNORED

Better Roon endpoint: MAC USB to SPDIF or Streamer with SPDIF

davidl10

Question

Hi,

I am putting a system together for the basement and a small courtyard backyard. It will do 50/50 movie/music. I have a projector for the yard and not leaving anything outside overnight. I have an Audiolab 6000A DAC/AMP with no USB Input to the DAC only Optical or SPDIF and need a Roon endpoint. It is paired with Kef Q750's. I have a spare IPAD and or a Mac Air(2015 no toslink) I can use as an endpoint. 

I have 2 options:

1. Use the Ipad or Mac into a USB to SPDIF Converter. Any recommendations?

2. Use a streamer such as a IFI Zen, Bluesound Node, PI/ Allo Digi One, or any recommendations

Which one would have the best sound and be the most reliable with the fewest dropouts? Budget is max $500, but be happy to stay cheaper. Depends on value of return. I still need to but all the cables too. :) 

Thank you for your help

Dave

Dave L

Main: CAPS 3 Carbon > Roon > HQ Player > ARC DAC 8 > ARC VSi60 > Vandersteen 3A Signatures

Cables: AQ Rocket 88 Bi Wired, AQ Columbia RCA, and AQ Diamond USB

Office: Macbook Pro > Roon > HQ Player > Burson Audio Conductor SL w/DAC Output > Adam F5 or HiFiman HE-500

Cables: AQ Carbon USB and Oyide RCA

Storage: Synology NAS 213+

Basement: in progress - Building a RPI 3 > Peachtree IDAC > Halide Bridge > amp? > Wharfdale 10.2's

8 answers to this question

7 hours ago, davidl10 said:

Hi,

I am putting a system together for the basement and a small courtyard backyard. It will do 50/50 movie/music. I have a projector for the yard and not leaving anything outside overnight. I have an Audiolab 6000A DAC/AMP with no USB Input to the DAC only Optical or SPDIF and need a Roon endpoint. It is paired with Kef Q750's. I have a spare IPAD and or a Mac Air(2015 no toslink) I can use as an endpoint. 

I have 2 options:

2. Use a streamer such as a IFI Zen, Bluesound Node, PI/ Allo Digi One, or any recommendations

Which one would have the best sound and be the most reliable with the fewest dropouts? Budget is max $500, but be happy to stay cheaper. Depends on value of return. I still need to but all the cables too. :) 

Thank you for your help

Dave

This one is supposed to offer a nice bang for the buck

https://www.moon-audio.com/matrix-audio-x-spdif-2.html

Appreciate the advice. I am open to either approach, but what would have the best sound ? Thanks

Dave L

Main: CAPS 3 Carbon > Roon > HQ Player > ARC DAC 8 > ARC VSi60 > Vandersteen 3A Signatures

Office: Macbook Pro > Roon > HQ Player > Burson Audio Conductor SL w/DAC Output > Adam F5 or HiFiman HE-500

Basement: in progress - Building a RPI 3 > Peachtree IDAC > Halide Bridge > amp? > Wharfdale 10.2's

I'm not sure many people will be able to tell you which choice will sound better to you.

I've not used or heard the device I linked to but I have seen quite a few positive posts around the Web about it.

Since you mention reliability being important, given that, I would go with the MAC >>>USB>>>Matrix Audio Device>>>SPDIF OUT to your existing DAC/AMP. Its less components to manage and at least equal to the other choice IMO in terms of SQ

I used to have a Android TV Box (Beelink GT King) for Video (Kodi/VLC Player and Music(UAPP w/ UPnP Renderer tuned on) connected  (via USB) to a Singxer F-1 SPDIF Converter (Isolator/FEMTO Reclocker/Converter). Controlled by BubbleUPnP. 

You can have this similar setup (Streamer to Singxer F-1 via USB) controlled by mConnect for IOS. Not tried mConnect, but you can look at this option. Singxer F-1 is around $200 and a good TV Box at $100-150, so you're on budget.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:19 PM, davidl10 said:

I have 2 options:

The probably best converter available is Singxer SU2 or the Gustard U18. And you can later add external 10 MHz clock to them. 

I can’t tell you if any of those streamers is better, but I can say that with the converter, you can add one of the Rendu’s, and that would probably be the path to the best available SQ with your present HW. 

Thank you all for the advice, It is really appreciated.

I am going to try a converter. I am looking at the singxer, gustard and matrix. I am reading reviews now. I like the idea of the Mac for stability and a good Converter for now and the ability to add a clock later. I have a CAPS 3 to compare, that should be really interesting to see the differences in sound. CAPS with AQ Diamond USB, Mac with Converter, and finally CAPS with converter. 

Dave L