IGNORED

Article: The Immersive Audiophile Update 4

19 minutes ago, JHG said:

Great series of articles on ATMOS music.  I am looking forward to your processor selection.  The dealer that supplied most of my 9.1.6 system (used primarily right now as a home theater, and I have a separate 2 channel system in another room) recommended Lyngdorf MP60 2.1 over a Trinnov due to the differences in room correction.  He felt that Lyngdorf's Room Perfect worked without changing the basic sound of the speakers, while Trinnov's Optimizer did change the basic sound of the speakers.  As the Trinnovs were out of my budget (the Lyngdorf was as well, but not so much) I was happy to go with the Lyngdorf.  I like my Lyngdorf and am interested in your evaluation.

Great to hear @JHG I love hearing what everyone is using and their experience. I know @ted_b also has a Lyngdorf. Word on the street is that the McIntosh processor is a Lyngdorf under the covers :~)

I talked to a rep from Lyngdorf and like what they products offer for the money. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, bobflood said:

If I had this system and being a former pilot, I would want to put a huge screen in front and hook-up a monster computer to run MS Flight Simulator. That way I could re-live the thrill of flying through a thunderstorm and hear the torrents of rain beat the hell out of the windscreen. Add in loud turbine engine noise and I would feel right at home. Then I would add a shaker seat so I could again get that visceral feeling of terror from the turbulence trying to tear the airframe apart. But, how beautiful it is when you emerge on the other side.

I love that!

It’s theater of the mind, audio only for me, but I love hearing what others enjoy. 

@AudioDoctor may want the sim as well. I believe he’s in the air today. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

36 minutes ago, PeterG said:

You've definitely answered my question of a few weeks ago--how does 7.1.4 reconcile quality with budget when so many more speakers and other hardware are necessary?  Answer: stop worrying about trivial things like money when music is involved. 

OK--I'm in!  Very excited to hear how it sounds...

Many roads lead to Rome. This is the road I selected :~)

46 minutes ago, bbosler said:

so now we are curious... how do you intend to wire all of this up?

It is going to take quite a bit of speaker cable and interconnects. Can't imagine using zip cord with speakers like that 😄 That's a LOT of Transparent cables

are you going to do a permanent install, run the wires inside the walls?

You sound like you've done this before :~)

Wires will be going behind walls and under the floor. I'm trying to determine the exact speaker wire I'll use in the next couple days. 

I have interconnects. more on that later as well. 

4 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Canare 4S8 Star Quad 16AWG 4-Conductor Speaker Wire 

https://www.markertek.com/product/4s8-gy/canare-4s8-star-quad-16awg-4-conductor-speaker-wire-gray-per-foot

74 cents a foot, I use this for my main system, any more for this application is a waste of $$

Why do you use the four conductor wire?

10 minutes ago, bbosler said:

because they sound really good 😜

seriously, a friend recommended a Benchmark ABH2 so I tried and love it. He also recommended their interconnects so I made some using the same cable Benchmark uses, they sound great so decided to make some speaker cables. I believe Uptone uses a version of these for their DC cables. You can read about Benchmark's reasons in the link below which I have no way of verifying. The fact they are 4 conductor was not the reason I chose them.. I chose them because  they sound really good and compared to audiophile cables they are basically free leaving me some $$ to buy what I think really matters, including more records. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/all-products/products/benchmark-speaker-cable-nl2-to-nl2-2-pole

Thanks for the info. I’m just curious about people’s choices, so I can learn as much as possible. Sometimes others take this as questioning their choices, rather than me inquiring to educate myself :~)

This is really interesting, from your link:

”STAR-QUAD CONSTRUCTION:

This top-quality Benchmark cable features Canare Star-Quad Speaker Cable. Four heavy-duty 14 AWG stranded conductors are combined into two pairs arranged in a star-quad configuration. The combined conductors are equivalent to 11 AWG, but the star-quad configuration reduces magnetic interference, making these cables far superior to 2-conductor cables.”