IGNORED

Why you can't trust measurements

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

This. 9_9

Do you think that it is 100% impossible that the reviewer was not influenced by expectation bias?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

22 minutes ago, Iving said:

convincing data near impossible with single reviewer - 

and multi participant studies all sorts selection and expense problems.

Some very fine wise words in your earlier post Mr Iving. You kind of stated what I am thinking, although you have phrased it far better than I could.

Although re the quoted words above, I do not think we need expensive multi participant studies in this particular case. What we have is a reviewer who has clearly stated that he can hear very specific differences with the $4K Master Time in the chain. This would take only two people and a couple of hours to establish if he could do this "blind". If he could, this would be convincing data from one reviewer, and thus provide good reason to investigate further in the measurements.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I can think of more....

The review chain was a Sonic Transporter i5 running Roon Core, feeding an optical Rendu. In practical terms, most people would consider this to be a fairly decent digital "front end".

So what would the DAC sound like being fed direct from the Sonic Transporter? What if the Sonic Transporter was used to to feed the Master Time Black Star directly, taking the opticalRendu out of the chain? A few experiments like this this might provide some data as to exactly what was producing the profound subjective improvements that the reviewer could here, and give some insight into why. What if the DAC is fed from another different source, maybe something other than Roon? Could they not have tried something else?

But all we have is a review which basically states "with the $4k extra box in the chain I heard much better sound".

Then take a look at Ideon's own webpage. Even they can't be bothered to provide any technical data or reasons as to why this device improves sound quality:

https://ideonaudio.com/3r-master-time-black-star/

Although they do state this: 

Based on Ideon Audio’s proprietary technologies, dramatically improves the sound from digital audio computer files, and music streaming services.

It achieves amazing sound performance by uncovering lost detail, enhancing dynamics, re-clocking the signal using ultra-low jitter oscillators, and minimizing transmission losses.

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

The industry has had decades to pull its finger out, and try and do things better. Do you think there is any chance that anything is going to change any time soon, based on how far things have progressed, to this point?

I do not really have a view on this. 

Generally I tend to side with the words of Physicist  Niels Bohr "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future". I am sure we could have a thread on this forum where we all give our very many views on what the future will bring, a lot of it will be contradictory and most will be wrong. Maybe even this view will prove to be wrong?

Meanwhile I intend to travel through life, trying to make a positive impact with respect to anything that matters to me.

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Enthusiastic audiophiles are seen by most to be in the same category as model train buffs - a peculiar bunch of people who spend lots of money on something that is of little relevance to anything else in life, apart from the pleasure of fiddling with things. No-one spends any time, energy, or money analysing the bigger picture in model trains - and the same applies in audio. Only companies who create products that are interesting to enthusiasts are making efforts; and of course this will be devoted to ensuring that their output is seen to be superior ...

An interesting view.

In my experience, when I tell most people that I am an Audiophile, they mostly tend to respond with something along the lines of "oh, I could never tell the difference between speakers or amplifiers or anything", or maybe they might say "do you like to listen to jazz then?" In general, I find that most people are mostly not remotely interested.

As a final point from myself. Can we try to keep things at least vaguely on topic?

5 hours ago, botrytis said:

Me thinks imaginary numbers would be involved.....

fas = square root 2?

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Do you want to measure the interesting bits - or the boring stuff?

Both, we need an interesting bits to boring stuff ratio. (IB/BSr)