IGNORED

We've got war in Europe..

1 hour ago, opus101 said:

I was looking for a short J.J.Mearsheimer video to post here, you've posted a really meaty one. Kudos.

Incidentally, the TL;DR summary of his 2015 talk is :

"The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path & the end result is Ukraine is going to get wrecked."

This deserves an echo

"The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path & the end result is Ukraine is going to get wrecked."

2 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Actually I wrote just a rhetorical question  ...

As much as I loathe war and warfare strategies, being one by court approved pacifist since November 1986 (the only way of quitting military service for social service in Germany in that period), I have learned by experiencing the world and studying during the 3 and a half decades since then.

- Peace is an oucome of negotiation of interests that respects and integrates the interest of the opposite blocks as well.
- Military power can't be counted/discounted by democratic votes
- misjudiging the balance between military blocks will lead to war, temporarily and regionally constrained at first ...

I heard a 2016 youtube lecture from J.J. Mearsheimer (USA/University of Chicago) today, about the Ukraine conflict, and even I do not "like" his analysis and his ideas about "offensive realism" on an emotional level, I may need to realize that his analysis seem to have some very valid points integrated. Unfortunately his warnings weren't taken into account by the western block, and now we have that "bad surprise" people like him have severyly warned about for years.
I dispise warheads and authoritarian leadership, however, if you can't fight them, you are bound to negotiations in order to avoid fighting.

I am aware that Mearsheimer offers some very uncomfortable scientific analyses for many interest groups, which make me a bit wary about about him, however he seem to have strong points about the Ukrainian crisis, that why he is meantioned here.

just my 2cents
edit: attached the aformentioned video to the post

Great FACTS BASED video full of important information.

People generally don't like facts.

12 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Hopkins,
I might explain to you, that in this thread & at least to me, you present yourself as an unsensible, narcissistic personality, focussing on his personal point of view and his questionable kind of humour.
A sad performance, in my view.

Ligthen up...

I watch Eurovision religiously every year, though I have to admit it has gotten more "americanized" in the past few years and liked it better before. This 2007 performance is REALLY a gem. But I guess you don't get it.

I also think political topics should be avoided on AudiophileStyle.... I suspect most people don't come here to discuss politics and to find out that the people we engage with on audio topics turn out to be complete idiots whose political points of view offend us :)

17 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Ligthen up...

I watch Eurovision religiously every year, though I have to admit it has gotten more "americanized" in the past few years and liked it better before. This 2007 performance is REALLY a gem. But I guess you don't get it.

I also think political topics should be avoided on AudiophileStyle.... I suspect most people don't come here to discuss politics and to find out that the people we engage with on audio topics turn out to be complete idiots whose political points of view offend us :)

Summarized,

you know much more about Eurovision  Contest than geo-conflict based war threats in Eastern Europe, and that's why you post yt videos from your preferred party in order to lighten up everyone?

12 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Summarized,

you know much more about Eurovision  Contest than geo-conflict based war threats in Eastern Europe, and that's why you post yt videos from your preferred party in order to lighten up everyone?

First it's  a J.J.Mearsheimer video, next thing we know it will be a video of Trump proclaiming that Putin is a genius.

Politics should be avoided. Sorry you don't get this. 

30 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

yeah, it already felt like that form of whataboutism one may experience at Facebook ...

You want to discuss politics, PM me. As I explained, I do not think this forum should be a platform for political discussion. Mearsheimer is controversial and his view of the world remains just that - a point of view (it's not just a series of facts, as someone here suggested). There is no need to elaborate further. 

As for being insensitive, one could argue that proponents of Mearsheimer's "world view" are particularly insensitive to the plight of the Ukrainians... So bugger off.. 

Sometimes looking at things from all sides provides a better view of the whole. Even in complex social economic and political situations that tap into emotions...in fact, esp in these types of situations.

spacer.png

Then theres the fact that no matter how complex and clever human beings appear to be, we are actually quite predictable in nature. The names have changed but the game is the same.

9 hours ago, DuckToller said:

Actually I wrote just a rhetorical question  ...

As much as I loathe war and warfare strategies, being one by court approved pacifist since November 1986 (the only way of quitting military service for social service in Germany in that period), I have learned by experiencing the world and studying during the 3 and a half decades since then.

- Peace is an oucome of negotiation of interests that respects and integrates the interest of the opposite blocks as well.
- Military power can't be counted/discounted by democratic votes
- misjudiging the balance between military blocks will lead to war, temporarily and regionally constrained at first ...

I heard a 2016 youtube lecture from J.J. Mearsheimer (USA/University of Chicago) today, about the Ukraine conflict, and even I do not "like" his analysis and his ideas about "offensive realism" on an emotional level, I may need to realize that his analysis seem to have some very valid points integrated. Unfortunately his warnings weren't taken into account by the western block, and now we have that "bad surprise" people like him have severyly warned about for years.
I dispise warheads and authoritarian leadership, however, if you can't fight them, you are bound to negotiations in order to avoid fighting.

I am aware that Mearsheimer offers some very uncomfortable scientific analyses for many interest groups, which make me a bit wary about about him, however he seem to have strong points about the Ukrainian crisis, that why he is meantioned here.

just my 2cents
edit: attached the aformentioned video to the post

I am watching this now but the intro reminded me of something I did in undergrad. I founded a student group called "Canadians Against Burger King" I also needed a faculty adviser and I knew just who I was going to get and that was my Mass Communications Professor. He was just the right kind of irreverence towards traditional academia that I needed. He said yes.

No electron left behind.

Wondering what will happen when other countries seek protection because they feel their Sovereignty is at risk.

Talking about Cuba, Mexico, Venezuela, NKorea.

What happens with the anti-Nato steps in to help?

Just a question.

9 hours ago, DuckToller said:

As much as I loathe war and warfare strategies, being one by court approved pacifist since November 1986 (the only way of quitting military service for social service in Germany in that period)

That's quite interesting - I studied at the only university in my country from which they didn't expect students to do the military training. They didn't trust them assuming, I guess, that far too many of them were potentially able to turn the things upside down. I also think such thinking was actually justified, I believe you can get some picture of the things if I tell you that one of the ex-students posts on this forum..;)

My one complaint about the University of Chicago is this. It is an exceptionally hard right wing school. It is the birthplace of the Neo-Cons that gave us the thinking that led to the two gulf wars, that gave us people like Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, the Plan For The New American Century, and the exact thinking that led to the current Ukraine crisis as much as the speaker likes to blame this on Washington liberals and Obama.

No electron left behind.