RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Switch (EtherRegen)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

SMS 200

Β 

Will there be any benefits in going optical - and how/what will be the best solution?β€¦πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜…

Β 

All inputs will be most helpful - thank you!β€¦πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Best Regards

Β 

Carsten S Christensen

1 hour ago, carsten s chr said:

Hi!β€¦πŸ˜‰

Β 

Before DAC - as is:

NAS and router

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Switch (EtherRegen)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

SMS 200

Β 

Will there be any benefits in going optical - and how/what will be the best solution?β€¦πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜…

Β 

All inputs will be most helpful - thank you!β€¦πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

I would suggest, if you can from Router -Optical - EtherRegen. That way you’ve added isolation from your home network.Β 
Β 

Β 

Β 

8 hours ago, carsten s chr said:

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply!β€¦πŸ‘πŸ»
Your suggestion is good enough - but unfortunately I have to connect the NAS too - is connected to the Etherregen!β€¦πŸ€“

Why not connect your nas to router? Less devices connected to EtherRegen sounds better. You’ve now isolated your noisy nas also?Β 

better to put all components in the digital playback chain on same Etherregen, regardless of whether you use optical from router. That way

all traffic other than remote controller traffic never traverses the router, no more variable latency. May be convenient to get NAS fans

further away but variable latency/throughput reduction annoyed me with NAS attached to router.

Regards,

Dave

Β 

Audio system

51 minutes ago, davide256 said:

better to put all components in the digital playback chain on same Etherregen, regardless of whether you use optical from router. That way

all traffic other than remote controller traffic never traverses the router, no more variable latency. May be convenient to get NAS fans

further away but variable latency/throughput reduction annoyed me with NAS attached to router.

I just use VLAN to achieve this. EtherRegen for me sounds better with less devices attached.Β 

8 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Why not connect your nas to router? Less devices connected to EtherRegen sounds better. You’ve now isolated your noisy nas also?Β 

Β 

As this:

NAS

>
RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Router (Linksys Velop)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Device - converting to optical

>
Fiber Cable
>

Switch (EtherRegen)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

SMS 200

Best Regards

Β 

Carsten S Christensen

23 minutes ago, carsten s chr said:

Β 

Β 

As this:

NAS

>
RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Router (Linksys Velop)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

Device - converting to optical

>
Fiber Cable
>

Switch (EtherRegen)

>

RJ45 Ethernet Cable

>

SMS 200

Yes perfect. Not sure if your router does VLANS or not. But Β£70 Ubiquity Edge X router does, also has SFP port, so no need for converter to optical. Then your NAS & SMS will be on its own subnet/vlan, which stops broadcasts from other devices on your network. Another way to do it is to configure your firewall to allow only your control device, eg a phone. Plus your NAS to talk to SMS.Β 

9 minutes ago, davide256 said:

If you enable VLAN, then you also need traffic prioritization for the affected IP addresses + you need a DHCP server within the VLAN. That's added work and overhead.

Yes you are right, that’s why am saying move the overhead from EtherRegen to router or switch. I ran a NAS to EtherRegen for two year I was convinced it sounded better. Recently I tried it direct to router sfp port via optical & noticed a difference.Β 
Β 

The best way to test is listen, there are two views here for the original poster to try. It’s impossible to say what is right & what’s wrong. Too many variables.Β 

17 minutes ago, davide256 said:

If you enable VLAN, then you also need traffic prioritization for the affected IP addresses + you need a DHCP server within the VLAN. That's added work and overhead.

I didn’t β€œneed” VLAN prioritization. That will depend on the rest of your network and how you utilize it iirc. I don’t have a NAS either so perhaps I should sit this one out 😎.

Β 

Also, the dhcp server on these Edgerouters are really low utilization services and will not be continuously delegating IP addresses once your devices are up and running.

Β 

The Edgerouter X is becoming harder to find so I will share that the Edgerouter 4, for me, has been a suitable replacement, powered by the same lps powering my old Edgerouter X SFP. You’ll need to remove the smps and install a barrel input or do what I did, install a wire that plugs directly into your LPS(you lose some flexibility going this route).