IGNORED

Building an Unregulated Linear Power Supply

elan120

On the subject of the soon to be released Taiko/Mundorf 220,000uF:

-Doesn’t swapping multiple smaller capacitance capacitors in parallel for a single large capacitance capacitor mean the ULPS will have a worse ESR?

-220,000uF is a significant increase in capacitance compared to the original 5A/V3 design (116,000uF or 141,00uF depending on which source you look at). For reference the 10A/V3 called for 220,000uF and 12A/V3 called for 330,000uF

4 hours ago, JJSim said:

The single 220,000µF HC cap will have lower ESR than multiple smaller caps in parallel. The 47,000µF HC cap has an ESR of 3 mOhm, so expect the 220,000µF to be lower still. The Taiko/Mundorf cap will also take up less room overall than five caps, and eliminating the wiring/connectors tying the caps together will lower resistance in the power supply.

Keep in mind that Mundorf's ratings are a little misleading. For example, they rate ESR at 100 Hz while pretty much every other manufacturer rates it at 120 Hz, so Mundorf's specs do look better on paper.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/sites/default/files/mundorf-mlytic-hc-datasheet.pdf

Are parallel ESRs calculated differently than parallel resistances from resistors? Using the parallel resistor calculations I get an ESR of 0.88mOhms for three 47,000uF capacitors and one 22,000uF capacitor in parallel. 

3 hours ago, bit01 said:

@oneguystrictly speaking it is the impedance that is in parallel as you have series resistance, capacitance and some inductance, but you are right that the ESR should be lower than that of the single cap. One has to compare to the physically larger cap spec. (in this case the Taiko/Mundorf?) as they tend to have lower ESR values to begin with.

Here is a general view on advantages of II'ng in power supplies

Crossing my fingers that we’ll have something concrete soon and the Mundorf can drop the impedance greater than 77% over the 47,000uF/40V HC capacitor with their 220,000uF capacitor. 

2 hours ago, MarcelNL said:

a while ago I was considering paralleling many smaller Electrolytics and did some research, to find out that larger caps should be better...I'll try find the article, it was written with high end audio as background, not just any EE babble.

Recall it's the additional resistance of all the connections.

I’d be very interested to read that article and see how they quantified the connections.

I’m hoping that the copper screws and washers I used can lower whatever loses are at the connections. When I’m happy with the final performance of the ULPS I plan on cleaning all of the copper with Brasso and a toothbrush then applying Stabilant 22 to the connections.  

• 3 weeks later...

@ExocerWith only 3 nodes (two caps and a rectifier output) plus the power output is star grounding even worth it? To me is seems that adding an extra ring terminal interfaces of a star point not on a capacitor terminal would kind of negate any benefits. 

What I view as optimal is taping negative for the power output off of the 22,000 uF which effectively makes the star to node length zero there and the star to rectifier and star to 220,000 cap is just the length of wire their respective wires. 

29 minutes ago, basillus said:

I got my panzerholz from Markus Mallits, Austria at ebay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBO-PAG-Festholz-Panzerholz/133742861561

I bought some rest parts, but I also got Markus to cnc special sizes and thicknesses that I needed, for example a 4 cm x 48.3 cm x 50 cm for a base for my hopefully upcoming Taiko Diy cabinet, but like so many other things his panzerholz and shipping have gone up since I ordered my parts and it is in Europe... I also have his email address.

Thanks for the lead. I’ll PM you for further info.