IGNORED

HQPlayer will not run

zkeller

I am trying to run HQPlayer on Windows. I downloaded and installed it successfully. But when I run it, the cursor circles a few times and then nothing more. 

I have tried resetting, I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have tried installing without the Client as I plan to use Roon in any case.

Any suggestions? I am a programmer, so can do some technical debugging.

Thanks for the help,

Zane

Zane

If I understood it correctly, HQP is failing to open, not to play any songs. I assume you are on a "standard" install of windows 10/11 (without any audiophile optimization that kills process etc). Is that right?

If so, you could try downloading a previous version. Just substitute the version number on the download link for 4.14.0, and see if it launches. 

You could also try booting HQPlayer embedded from a USB stick. Should it work, it would definitely isolate the problem to windows. 

The HQP window doesn't even show. I am running on standard Windows 10 Pro 21H2. Only Roon installed that may affect processes as far as I know.

How do you download an earlier version? I tried 4.15.0 but it doesn't work. I would like to try a version that is quite a bit older.

BTW - the client does run although there is not much I can do with it without the Desktop. 

Zane

On 12/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, jvvita said:

If I understood it correctly, HQP is failing to open, not to play any songs. I assume you are on a "standard" install of windows 10/11 (without any audiophile optimization that kills process etc). Is that right?

If so, you could try downloading a previous version. Just substitute the version number on the download link for 4.14.0, and see if it launches. 

You could also try booting HQPlayer embedded from a USB stick. Should it work, it would definitely isolate the problem to windows. 

@jvvita or @Miska what link should I use to get an earlier version?

Thanks for your help

Zane

13 hours ago, bogi said:

That's what is Miska now sharing: https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayer/win/

But I think you have some other issue in your OS - nobody reported the same thing as you. Install fresh Win10 and it will work.

I have the same issue and was going to report it but fell ill.

I am also a programmer and long time HQP user - no ROON here.

Additional info:

1. 4.13.1 client and sever run

2. 4.14 client loads splash screen then disappears nothing happens.  Desktop windows spinner for a few seconds, then nothing.

3. 5.15.0 and 4.15.2 client loads!, desktop windows spinner then nothing.

So something broke from 4.13.1 -> 4.14.0

I always

1. uninstall old version

2. reboot

3. install new version

4. reboot - it is windows after all

5. hit play....

This is on my test laptop:

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H1
OS build    19043.1387
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

@Miska let me know if you need additional info.

2 hours ago, edn4x4 said:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz   2.40 GHz

This CPU lacks support for AVX2 instruction set support, required by HQPlayer >= 4.14 on Windows...

Generic build on Ubuntu 20.04 will continue to work on SSE4.2+ for time being.

HQPlayer Client Windows version on 4.15.1 is now built such way that it should work on SSE4.2+ hardware. The Windows HQPlayer server side will need AVX2 support though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

15 hours ago, Miska said:

This CPU lacks support for AVX2 instruction set support, required by HQPlayer >= 4.14 on Windows...

Generic build on Ubuntu 20.04 will continue to work on SSE4.2+ for time being.

HQPlayer Client Windows version on 4.15.1 is now built such way that it should work on SSE4.2+ hardware. The Windows HQPlayer server side will need AVX2 support though.

Can I have access to 4.13 download for trial purposes? 

Zane

7 hours ago, CAMSHAFT said:

Running into the same issue. I have a Celeron J4125 8GB DDR4 256GB eMMC with Windows 10 Pro.

That Celeron lacks support for AVX2. So Windows version of HQPlayer Desktop server since 4.14 won't work. Client should work again since 4.15.1.

Generic Ubuntu 20.04 package should continue to work for time being.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers