IGNORED

Searching for a noise cancelling headphones for listening to audiobooks

suresh88

Question

I love to listen to audiobooks while workingout at gym, driving, cooking etc. But I live in India where the ambient noise is high in most places. Especially at gym where I simply can't keep up the routine without audiobooks, the music is played at high volume. If I am also listening to music in my headphones, this wouldn't be a concern as my headphones music would block out the ambient music. But audiobooks plays with pauses between the words and during these times, I can hear the ambient music and that really hurts my concentration. I have tried ANC headphones but these headphones only cancel out low frequency noises. So, can you guys please suggest some headphones which would be appropriate for me? Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Still looking myself, Meze 99's have reasonable passive attenuation in an environment with constant air gun use but could always do better.  Wondering if something like this over your favorite IEM's would be a more practical solution.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Earmuffs-Chartreuse-X4A/dp/B00CPCHADQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=3M+Peltor+X4A&qid=1634481982&s=industrial&sr=1-4

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi Dave, Thanks for your suggestion. Strictly speaking, that would solve the problem hands down 😃. But its not practical. India is a hot country and the city I live in (Chennai) is hot and humid. Even with airconditioner in the Gym, we sweat a lot. 

@The Computer Audiophile - I didn't know there were custom IEMs. Must be expensive? Is there good IEM that are truely wireless with good passive attenuation?

7 hours ago, suresh88 said:

Hi Dave, Thanks for your suggestion. Strictly speaking, that would solve the problem hands down 😃. But its not practical. India is a hot country and the city I live in (Chennai) is hot and humid. Even with airconditioner in the Gym, we sweat a lot. 

@The Computer Audiophile - I didn't know there were custom IEMs. Must be expensive? Is there good IEM that are truely wireless with good passive attenuation?

$200 is pretty good for custom wireless: https://custom.ultimateears.com/pages/ue-truly-wireless-earbuds?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=11227901713&utm_term=111860164996&utm_content=545806678201-&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhrjg8vPT8wIVY2xvBB0fIgq8EAAYASAAEgIHHvD_BwE

I have been thinking of getting a pair myself.  I have Jabra 75t & 85t, and NuraTrue wireless but they have a tough time being sealed during excercise; I have tried multitudes of ear tips.

The most noise attenuating earbuds I know are Etymotics with double-flanged tips.  But to get wireless will cost comparable to the Ultimate Ears moldable.  And it will have a wraparound neck cable: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Etymotion-Bluetooth-ER2XR-BT/dp/B087QTWTF8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=etymotic+wireless&qid=1634558609&sr=8-5

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, GregWormald said:

Noise cancelling doesn't cancel out music very well. The IEMs for their outside sound attenuation are a better bet. Custom isn't necessary if you can get a good seal with standard ones, but would probably work a bit better and be more secure in the ear. 

Yes, noise cancelling phones are mainly for cancelling out background noise. They will only lessen the volume of voices, music, etc, not block them.

Well sealed IEMs will attenuate everything quite a bit. You won't get a situation where everything external is blocked.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I think SoundGuys website shows measurements of which wireless IEMs block how much noise at which frequencies. It might be worthwhile checking their measurements and just choose the wireless IEMs with the best noise isolation. it is also possible that if you switch the eartip to comply foam, you might get even more isolation. The caveat is that rumor says Apple AirPods Pro made their ANC less aggressive so the measurement might be wrong. 

I’m not entirely convinced that wired IEMs would get even better mid to high frequency noise isolation. It might depending on the eartip used but that’s also true for wireless ones. I can see custom wired IEMs that are moulded to your ears getting better seals but that’s in a totally different price category.