IGNORED

What’s so bad about cpu fans?

TimF

For the Roon Server PC: HDPlex 200W LPSU + HDPlex 400W HiFi DC-ATX

For the HQPlayer Embedded PC: HDPlex 500W ATX LPSU

The HQPlayer NAA PC is currently powered by PH SR7T 19V+12V and HDPlex  400W HiFi DC-ATX. To be exchanged with Nenon's V3 unregulated LPS + Taiko DC-ATX. JCAT USB XE separately powered by PH SR4. To be added JCAT NET XE also to be powered by a PH SR4. Currently working on my own PC chassis to be able to fit it into one chassis (excluding both the PH SR4's).

I was hoping 🙄 that the Roon Server PC and HQPlayer Embedded PC would be not/less important for the sound quality. Practice proves they are also important. Perhaps less than the HQPlayer NAA PC, but still important. So just joining the others with this similar experience. Step by step improving your system gives you the big advantage of learning your system and hearing and understanding what still/next can be improved. The replies on this and other topics from Nenon and others are very helpful in what to listen for and determining the next steps to take to improve my system.

Sometime ago Nenon explained the alternatives to "deliver" the signal to the DAC. He will be able to point you to his post with the explanation. In short two main routes to follow are:

- no upsampling, using one server with two CPU's (one CPU doing the server task and the other CPU the endpoint task!), in this one server you really try to minimize "disturbances" like upsampling. So in this method you can still use HQPlayer (server task, but not advised to do upsampling!) and the NAA (endpoint task). The transport of the signal from HQPlayer to the HQPlayer NAA (so the communication of the server CPU to the endpoint CPU) is of a very high quality (credit to Miska). Just take a look at all the information on the Taiko Extreme.

- upsampling, separating the upsampling from the endpoint (the principle that I am following and that Miska decribes), in this one you really need to separate the PC's so the endpoint (e.g. HQPlayer NAA) does not get "disturbed"

Reason for me for following the upsampling path is my choice for the T+A DAC 8 DSD. This DAC performs best with DSD512. In the first method power supply is very important to both the CPU's, but this is one power supply because of the one motherboard. In the second method I noticed (and others) that not only the power supply to the NAA is very important, but also the quality of the power supply of the other PC's does matter.

elan120, Foggie, 

some time ago I decided to use the T+A DAC 8 DSD as my DAC. Investigating on the internet this DAC is regarded as a very high quality DAC for its price and I had good experiences with the T+A DAC 8. Only drawback is that this DAC performs best with DSD512, so upsamling is required for streaming. Streaming is a requirement for me. Others sometimes choose for offline upsampling. See the PGGB thread. By the way I am a speaker user. So these a my basic choices. 

Also investigating on the internet, the path followed by Taiko seems to be currently the best. With my choices above I try to stay as close as possible to the path followed by Taiko and Nenon. I have choosen for a three PC setup as Foggie: 

- Server PC for Roon Server, i5-10600K, Windows 10 + AO 3.0

- Upsampling PC for HQPlayer Embedded, i9-10900K, Ubuntu Server 20.04 + Jussi's "magic"

- Endpoint PC for HQPlayer NAA, Xenon E-2236, Windows Server 2019 + AO 3.0 (limited to Windows because of the driver for DSD512 for the T+A DAC 8 DSD)

For the endpoint PC I try to utilize the information gathered from Romax, Ray-dude, Nenon and Taiko. High quality power supply, currently PH SR7T and next Nenon's V3 unregulated power supply. JCAT USB XE and NET XE cards and some more details,. So a high quality Endpoint with a more powerful CPU (described by Nenon to give a bigger fuller sound). In the past I used a mini-ITX motherboard with a <6W CPU, but I like this more powerful CPU better. Following this path I recently noticed that upgrading the power supply of the Server and Upsampling PC still mattered. To get on topic again, if better power supplies matter most likely all the comments on fans will matter too. 

What is the correct or best way, I do not know. But following the path described by Nenon and others I notice with every step an increase in sound quality of my system. That is what matters. Some times with our current knowledge it can not be explained why this or that improves the sound quality. The willingness of people to cooperate on this forum, experiment, exchange information and staying open minded, can bring us all advantages. It some times can be difficult to accept critism (constructive critism!!!), but from own experience the end result will be positive.