IGNORED

Researching SD Card Transports

On 11/18/2022 at 8:05 AM, panasonicst60 said:

I must correct what I stated in my pervious post. I had quite a bit more alone/quite time today(finally) and I definitely can tell a difference in sound between the Avatar and M50. The Avatar was slightly smoother sounding, certain instruments felt more focus, singer pushed back a bit, and it felt a tad bit more realistic(singer in the room). The M50 was slightly more forward in it's presentation, more articulate, and was more unforgiving on bad recordings.     

As of right now, I feel that the Avatar is my preferred sound, but the M50 is more accurate to the source. I will need a lot more time before I conclude as the M50 is hardly broken in at about 50hrs. 

Hello,

can I ask how satisfied are you with Topping M50? I am looking for a transport for my Ares II dac. 

regards,
Simon

21 minutes ago, sonodynesrp205 said:

Hello,

can I ask how satisfied are you with Topping M50? I am looking for a transport for my Ares II dac. 

regards,
Simon

I ended up getting rid of it. It just didn't have the smoothness refinement sound as my reference CD Transport. It would probably integrate well into a system that is on the warmer side. One of the highlights was the HibyLink which was very convenient. Changing music on the fly on my phone was so nice(I still miss it). Overall it was a very high value item and for $200 it's pretty hard to beat and not recommend. The next competitor worth looking at for $300 would be the Aune(never tried), but it doesn't have the HibyLink. 

One small problem I had with the M50 was on 2 songs I heard a tiny bit of weird distortion(digital?). Tried two different sd cards with the same results. Tried the same files on my other devices with no distortion. Didn't go into further investigation as I was retuning it anyways. Might be a sd card compatibly or firmware? 

8 minutes ago, panasonicst60 said:

I ended up getting rid of it. It just didn't have the smoothness refinement sound as my reference CD Transport. It would probably integrate well into a system that is on the warmer side. One of the highlights was the HibyLink which was very convenient. Changing music on the fly on my phone was so nice(I still miss it). Overall it was a very high value item and for $200 it's pretty hard to beat and not recommend. The next competitor worth looking at for $300 would be the Aune(never tried), but it doesn't have the HibyLink. 

One small problem I had with the M50 was on 2 songs I heard a tiny bit of weird distortion(digital?). Tried two different sd cards with the same results. Tried the same files on my other devices with no distortion. Didn't go into further investigation as I was retuning it anyways. Might be a sd card compatibly or firmware? 

Thanks for the quick reply. I might order it to try it in my system to see how it performs. May I ask which DAC you used? USB connection?

regards,
Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/65962-gustard-r26-new-r2r-dac/page/7/#comment-1228986  

On 1/23/2023 at 11:29 AM, gstew said:

My modified SDTrans384 (LDOVR.com LT3045 regulator boards replacing the on-board stock regulators) beat a stock one. BUT I was surprised that the UltraRendu on limited listening seems to beat them both. I think this is both a testament to how good the UR is as a source AND that the SDTrans384's I2S-over-HDMI output uses an LVDS chip (TI DS90LV047A) that is over 10-years-old (as @superdad has posted, there are recent chips that provide measurably lower-jitter on the outputs than most others).

Given the age of SDTrans384 and its less-than-ideal LVDS chip, maybe it's more likely to find something else that would meet and beat its performance + navigation system then?

Ideally an updated version (such as SDTrans768?) wouldn't be such a bad idea, playing upsampled tracks @ 768kHz (that were blessed by PGGB 256) should be an interesting experiment.

OTOH, stuff like Win11PE (Ultralite) still kept getting quite a bit of improvements lately

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4410-windows-11-pe-audiophile-creation-guide/?p=62884

processes=17
threads=148
handles=3718
CPU=0.23%

http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/4410-windows-11-pe-audiophile-creation-guide/?p=62949

I think that in the end we will stay very close to the size of Win11 PE Ultralite, which I have currently reduced, eliminating drivers that I do not need, up to 237 MB and I can still remove more, although it is hard work and in the end with the trial-error method.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/8760-playpcmwin-opensource-audio-player-for-windows/#comment-1229696

On 1/29/2023 at 7:15 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

PlayPcm.exe program size is currently 44544 bytes but if you strip functionalities such as DSF/DSDIFF decode and experimental unnecessary large page memory allocation code, 22000 ~ 23000 bytes EXE file is possible

In other words, that would be pretty similar to the philosophy of SD Card Transports since we're basically reducing the software side of the coin to the bare minimum.

Rather than SLC SD cards, we're actually reaping the benefits of even lower latency thanks to Intel Optane. Of course we could try RAM drives as well.

Ultimately it's just a matter of whether we're willing to learn what to do about an extremely lightweight version of Windows 11 or not, more investment in time for the sake of gaining even better SQ in return.

22 hours ago, bodiebill said:

@bodiebill

Interesting take on the M50. When I tried it, i wasn't impressed with it when it came to SQ. However the usability was great. In my comparison I only tried the digital coaxial though. Granted the m50 couldn't even beat my reference cd transport. The sdtrans knocked both my reference cd transport and m50 with ease. I'm sure in a few months, once you get bored of the m50 you'll be back to the sdtrans ;) I still stand by the sdtrans being the best of the best. I may have to buy a backup just in case they ever stop production. 

@panasonicst60 Not many will have heard both transports, so your comparison is appreciated!

For me the DI20HE is crucial. For instance here I prefer

SDTrans384 > spdif > DI20HE >  I2S > DAC with PCM192

to

SDTrans384 >  I2S > DAC with PCM 384 or DSD256

To my surprise using the M50 with PCM 384 or DSD256 in the setup described above further improves this!

In equal setups the SDTrans may beat the M50 but with the latter's USB output into the DI20HE I prefer the M50. 

audio system