IGNORED

Do I need clean USB power when using DAC with its own power supply?

5 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I expect no difference, therefore I will hear none

Probably true but I believe that differences that small probably don't matter... 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

16 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Unless you pile them on top of one another.

I don't think that all subtle differences are additive and combine to make a larger difference. 

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

In fact, I'm curious what people's experiences are, in general ... I doubt I am the only person who has heard a particular recording sound pleasant on one rig, and quite unpleasant on another - if both setups are supposedly somewhat "accurate", why is this?

Is that what you meant?

It sounded like you were talking about the same recording on the same "rig" sometimes sounding good and sometimes sounding bad.

7 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Since day one, over 35 years ago, of having capable playback I have had the problem of recordings sounding acceptable, or unacceptable, depending upon the 'tune' of the system

Perhaps it's a wetware problem...

4 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

George Klissarov of exaSound:

“Power conditioning and noise-filtering works fine for traditional analogue audio devices. However, they are not sufficient to solve the issue of digital noise. Noise caused by digital switching circuits can travel via the ground connections. To block the propagation of digital noise it is necessary to eliminate the electrical connection between the digital and the analogue subsystems. We achieve this by using several types of isolation components – transformers, optoelectronic couplers, and digital Isolators. Compartmentalizing various subsystems with isolators keeps the external noise out and the internal noise in. Digital inputs are isolated from the internal blocks of the PlayPoint DM. The digital subsystem is isolated from the analogue circuits, left is isolated from right.”

“Each of these refinements makes a contribution to sound quality. Combined, their effect is significant. With vanishingly low noise and distortion, every music detail is presented against a very low noise background, highlighting the micro and macro dynamics.”

https://darko.audio/2019/01/exasound-playpoint-dm-review/

Someone trying to sell something... always a good objective source of information... 👺 

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Yeah, I get it. The people who build this stuff don't know anything. We can't trust manufacturers or reviewers or other audiophiles, or our own ears. Just the measurements. 😆

I don't trust measurements either.

5 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

So then, how do you decide on what gear to purchase?

I note you don't show your system in your profile. I always assume people who don't mention what they own are embarrassed to list it. Am I wrong?

I haven't felt the need to purchase any audio equipment in years.

What I've got, gives me pleasure.

I also don't feel the need to get into an audiophile dick measuring match by listing the equipment I own.

Again, what I've got gives me pleasure and that's all that matters.

31 minutes ago, opus101 said:

subjective experiences are the only things we have as humans to draw any conclusions from.

Care to explain?

12 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I know that blind testing does not demand short-term listening tests, but I've never heard of a long-term blind test. Harman didn't have the employees come in for a week or two, and listen to more than four songs. How does a group listen in the sweet spot, where soundstage is revealed? The subjects were Harman employees but were they audiophiles? What about the pressure of choosing a non-Harman product in the presence of management? Kind of daunting, I bet.

I'm sure a DBT expert could pick out another dozen or two flaws in this testing method. This type of test, which is commonly held out as a standard is hopeless for audio. Sure, they found some evidence of expectation bias, but not everyone is subject to expectation bias, and not all the time. I have several personal examples of times where I've preferred the sound of less prestigious gear. To repeat, I only trust long-term listening in my system.

The tests at Harman were designed by the same Dr. Floyd Toole that is quoted in your signature.

Have you actually read his book or did you simply use this quote because it happened to support your biases?  

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I respect Dr. Toole. For several years, I owned one of first speakers he helped design at the NRC. That doesn't mean I have to like everything he said. I like the quote because I believe it to be true. We may disagree on what constitutes an audible flaw. 

You should read his book. It may change your mind about a few things...