IGNORED

Audiowise Opto-USB, SRC-DX and early experiments with the Chord Qutest before moving to TT2

10 hours ago, Middy said:

I pulled the trigger and see if it works out ok..Please dont tell my wife.. 

Please report back - you have a Qutest user watching for more feedback. I'd feed the SRC-DX with USB from a SoTM SMS200 Ultra. I've always had doubts about feeding the Qutest with USB.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

• 8 months later...

I received my SRC-DX today... but all is not well. I'm getting very low output from the SRC-DX.

When using USB into my Qutest I normally have my amplifier volume about 1/4 or less turned up. To get equal volume with the SRC-DX dual BNC I need to have the amp volume at 3/4 max. Honest, USB = vol at 8 pm on the "clock dial" and with the DBNC I have to have the vol = 2 to 3 at the clock dial. In fact, full MAX volume on the amp is just slightly too loud. At 1/4 volume you can't hear any output at all.

There is a STD and HIGH output switch - the instructions say to keep it at on HIGH (out) for Chord products. Which I have done. But switching that output button between STD and High does nothing other than change the STD/HIGH led light.

I have a "chat" in with the guy at Audiowise but haven't heard a response yet.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers

Turns out there is an issue with Linux volume and since I run through a SoTM SMS200 Ultra I am using Linux, though I certainly never thought of it that way. I'm running an iMac, the SMS200 may be running a form of Linux... but I'm not. At least that's how I look at it.

Seems Sonore and others that run SonicOrbitor have a simple fix - but none yet for the SMS200. One user was able to get a SSH password from SoTM, install some software, make some changes and get it to work.

Dan is being very helpful and is trying to get with SoTM to find a work around. So, I'll just cool it a bit while he works on this. It's not usable in it's current state. Since Dan has run into this previously, I would hope he'll add this to his webpage on the device.

I'm not able to get the volume issue fixed. The only fix for SoTM users is to get a SSH login from SoTM, use it to install the "AlsaMixer" application to the OS and then configure AlsaMixer to correct the volume issue with the SRC-DX.

I know for many with Linux command line and SSH experience that wouldn't be daunting, but I don't want to tinker with the internal systems of my SMS200 Ultra. As I said, I used the SoTM as an appliance to deliver network streaming to my DAC. This device may use Linux to operate, but them so might the IoT function on our LG Clothes dryer. I'm not comfortable diving into it at that level.

Dan has been helpful and is taking the device back. I did contact him within 30 mins of receiving it. And, when I contacted him he was aware of the issue and specifically the issue with the SMS200 device.

I did suggest that he add more specific cautions about how his product can be an issue with specific devices like the SoTM streamer.

3 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Yes, this should be made more clear.

I got lucky with my Sonore OpticalRendu as there is a simple fix in the Sonicorbiter OS settings where you just set the ‘DAC’ to max volume.

Yes, you did. I appears you simply have to check a max volume option.

• 8 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, frieddr said:

Hi did this work for you.  I have Qutest and sms200 ultra neo and I've read with arc-dx there's a volume setting glitch.  Did you solve that?  Was it difficult?

No. I ended up returning it on the day it arrived. The developer wanted me to contact SoTM to request Linux SSH Log in credentials and then install an audio volume module to make the output listenable. I declined taking that step. I was charged both return postage and a 10% restocking fee.

I tend to keep upto date on firmware - I'm currently at Version Number : V0.5.2 which is latest. Not always, but it wasn't a SoTM firmware issue it was a Linux Kernel issue. The fix was to install a new audio mod in the Linux Kernel. But as I said, SoTM doesn't provide the SSH login except on special request and they are wary of installing new modules.

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 10:23 PM, deathdisco said:

@frieddr —

I deleted my response. Sorry, I didn't notice that this was addressed to another user.

• 7 months later...

SOtM has just posted in their sponsored forum about beta testing a new firmware version that looks promising for using the SRC-DX with SOtM devices. Here is a list of updates in the new firmware:

•  

Version: V0.5.5
- Date: 11-24-2023
- Added 'CPU frequency' selector.
- Added 'Set Max volume' button.
- Updated eunhasu, smb avahi services.
-Disabled unused avahi service(nfs).
- Changed a few GUI texts.
- Fixed up 'Start with Logitech Media Server' bug.

I'm checking for full details, but that "- Added 'Set Max volume' button." looks like exactly what is needed to use the SRC-DX.

I have confirmed with SOtM that the new 0.5.5 firmware in Alpha testing right now does indeed have a Set Max Volume button that sets ALSAmixer to 100% volume and "Should" solve the volume issue with SRC-DX working properly with SOtM gear.

The following quote is from May at SOtM:

you are right, the set max volume button makes the volume to be max. you don't need to go to ALSAmixer settings. Just try to use this button.

I've purchased a new SRC-DX to test out this new Set Max Volume feature in SOtM's new 0.5.5 firmware. But just to be safe, I've also tested loading and running ASLAmixer in Linux on the SMS200 Ultra Neo just in case the new feature doesn't work as expected.

Maybe two years ago or more now, but I bought the SRC-DX to use with my then DAC (Qutest) and was very disappointed with the volume issue. I didn't want to mess with Linux command line changes back then, and returned the SRC-DX because of that.

I used to know Linux CL years ago, and didn't want to get back into it. But I figured before buying the SRC-DX again to test the new Set Max Volume fix from SOtM  I'd better be prepared to intervene manually if necessary so I dusted off my CL chops before ordering.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back with real world testing of the SRC-DX with a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo.

As expected, when I first installed the SRC-DX the volume was reduced almost but not quite to silence.

I installed the new ALPHA version of the v0.5.5 firmware for the SOtM devices and sure enough there is now a "Set Max Volume" button located far bottom left of the Configuration menu. Clicking this button immediately sets the SRC-DX to 100% volume in AlsaMixer in the Linux firmware.

Once set the SRC-DX works normally with the SOtM network streamer devices.

Here are some screen grabs:

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 4.56.13 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 4.59.41 PM.png

• 2 months later...

I'm using the SRC-DX, with dual BNC cables into my Chord Hugo TT2's dual BNC inputs and enjoying 768hz via HQ Player and Roon from Qobuz.

I started wondering - since this device is USB powered - in my case from my SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo streamer - has anyone experimented with modding the device with an outside power supply?

Isn't the SRC-DX basically a DDS and wouldn't a separate, better power supply improve the SQ? I mean the power supply quality does matter for any other DDS. YES?